HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 29, 2005, 11:49 AM
2013 GRAND SPORT CORVETTE
Golden Gulf Coast
Joined Jul 2002
10,201 Posts
Mystery - Are the Align "Carbon" blades really carbon??

Got my Align "Carbon" blades yesterday. It's a puzzle to me because they look like plastic that has been spray painted black. Once someone destroys one of these new blades, maybe we will find out what they are really made from. They also have the usual lightening holes like the wood blades from Align and this is something you don't see in CF blades as it takes a way a lot of the strength of the fiber weave pattern. Notice Align didn't use the words "Carbon Fiber" on these or any catalog postings. I suspect all the carbon may be in the paint ????? They are much stiffer than the 335mm woodies so they will serve a purpose, but they are not CF blades like ModelSport and SAB sell for sure. I'll be interested to see what others think about these "Carbon" blades. This might explain why they are so cheap when compared to CF blades.

Cheers - Boyd
AMA 80393
Major USAF
Retired
Hoverup is offline Find More Posts by Hoverup
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 29, 2005, 11:58 AM
Joined Feb 2001
2,818 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoverup
Got my Align "Carbon" blades yesterday. It's a puzzle to me because they look like plastic that has been spray painted black. Once someone destroys one of these new blades, maybe we will find out what they are really made from. They also have the usual lightening holes like the wood blades from Align and this is something you don't see in CF blades as it takes a way a lot of the strength of the fiber weave pattern. Notice Align didn't use the words "Carbon Fiber" on these or any catalog postings. I suspect all the carbon may be in the paint ????? They are much stiffer than the 335mm woodies so they will serve a purpose, but they are not CF blades like ModelSport and SAB sell for sure. I'll be interested to see what others think about these "Carbon" blades. This might explain why they are so cheap when compared to CF blades.

Cheers - Boyd
AMA 80393
Major USAF
Retired
If you look on the Align website, it says they are injection molded carbon...i.e. something similar to a plastic glow helicopter's frame material...plastic with fine fibers of carbon (not a weave) mixed in with the material.

Once I saw mention of this, I realized why they are much less expensive than the typical carbon fiber helicopter blades you see out there. The typical carbon blades are, essentially, hand made = high labor costs. The Align carbon blades are mass produced, hence the lower cost. Actually, considering how they're made, they should be only slightly higher in price compared to the stock plastic blades included in the kit! So they're actually very expensive!!!
ScotY is offline Find More Posts by ScotY
Old Jan 29, 2005, 12:21 PM
Mwahahahaha
UK, newbury
Joined Dec 2002
296 Posts
try shorting it out accross a 12V battery, i did this with a stock piccolo blade... it did get warm
Guinea_Pig is offline Find More Posts by Guinea_Pig
Old Jan 29, 2005, 12:22 PM
Red Bank, NJ
Joined Jan 2005
4 Posts
yeah, they are carbon injected, but they seem like a decent deal considering your other options, they are much more rigid than the abs plastic and wooden blades and at $20 I think they fill a nice category between wood and real carbon fiber.

Mark
Heli-Mark is offline Find More Posts by Heli-Mark
Old Jan 29, 2005, 12:32 PM
Joined Feb 2001
2,818 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heli-Mark
yeah, they are carbon injected, but they seem like a decent deal considering your other options, they are much more rigid than the abs plastic and wooden blades and at $20 I think they fill a nice category between wood and real carbon fiber.

Mark
Yes, I agree...IF they work well. The material a blade is made from is not important. What is important is if it's rigid enough (in both the spanwise direction and in torsion) and how it's balanced (total weight, spanwise CG AND chordwise CG).

How well to they fly? I have been trying to find some...no luck so far.
Old Jan 29, 2005, 02:51 PM
Minneapolis,USA
Joined Sep 2004
21 Posts
I've had appx. six flights with my align cf blades on my stock(non-stretch) T-REX, flys great, good TR clearence, I've had several boom strikes with aligns 335 wood blades, I think the woodies have too much flex and are prone to boom strike.
Dartos is offline Find More Posts by Dartos
Old Jan 29, 2005, 03:27 PM
Joined Feb 2001
2,818 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dartos
I've had appx. six flights with my align cf blades on my stock(non-stretch) T-REX, flys great, good TR clearence, I've had several boom strikes with aligns 335 wood blades, I think the woodies have too much flex and are prone to boom strike.
Hello,

What kind of flying are you doing? Curious to know, for reference re. the performance of the Align carbon blades.

When were you seeing boom strikes with the 335mm wood blades? In flight boom strikes?
Old Feb 01, 2005, 11:08 PM
CA
Joined Aug 2001
244 Posts
Mission Success!

Boyd -

To resolve this issue once and for all, I decided to do a science experiment to get to the bottom of this. It would take an accurate flight path for sure -I decided on a 20 degree descending approach, with a simultanious banking angle of about 80 degrees (blades almost vertical). This would ensure the best chance of a decent blade-to-ground contact at impact. Execution was perfect, and the results - well, this mission would have exceeded even the mars rovers success - not only did I snap and destroy the blades in multiple places - I even totalled the helicopter! What more could you ask for. The only unanticipated hiccup was that the broken blades dispersed widely into the long grass. A quick search soon retrieved the pieces, and I am now happy to report, that, on close examination, indeed there does appear to be evidence inside of round, blueberry-like carbon spheres. No wait - that's a severed round carbon rod going down the middle there. It also appears to have additional carbon in the leading and trailing edges, although some of it is hard to discern from the plastic moulding. I have now applied for additional funding from "headquarters" to continue this type of valuable research.

-Jonathan.
spit-boy is offline Find More Posts by spit-boy
Old Feb 01, 2005, 11:39 PM
Modding & Hovering
North Texas
Joined Jan 2005
72 Posts
spit-boy,

...ROFL&G...

Thanks,
Chad
cwkasper is offline Find More Posts by cwkasper
Old Feb 01, 2005, 11:47 PM
Joined Sep 2004
270 Posts
cross section pics?
Eric Cartman is offline Find More Posts by Eric Cartman
Old Feb 02, 2005, 12:09 AM
Arcadia, CA
Joined Nov 2004
61 Posts
Here is another dissection: http://www.daddyhobby.com/forum/show...&threadid=3495

Cheers,

elco
elco is offline Find More Posts by elco
Old Feb 02, 2005, 04:42 AM
2013 GRAND SPORT CORVETTE
Golden Gulf Coast
Joined Jul 2002
10,201 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by spit-boy
Boyd -

To resolve this issue once and for all, I decided to do a science experiment to get to the bottom of this. It would take an accurate flight path for sure -I decided on a 20 degree descending approach, with a simultanious banking angle of about 80 degrees (blades almost vertical). This would ensure the best chance of a decent blade-to-ground contact at impact. Execution was perfect, and the results - well, this mission would have exceeded even the mars rovers success - not only did I snap and destroy the blades in multiple places - I even totalled the helicopter! What more could you ask for. The only unanticipated hiccup was that the broken blades dispersed widely into the long grass. A quick search soon retrieved the pieces, and I am now happy to report, that, on close examination, indeed there does appear to be evidence inside of round, blueberry-like carbon spheres. No wait - that's a severed round carbon rod going down the middle there. It also appears to have additional carbon in the leading and trailing edges, although some of it is hard to discern from the plastic moulding. I have now applied for additional funding from "headquarters" to continue this type of valuable research.

-Jonathan.
Another victory for Wierd Science.

Cheers - Boyd
Hoverup is offline Find More Posts by Hoverup
Old Feb 02, 2005, 11:12 AM
Pittsburgh Allegheny, Pennsylvania, United States
Joined May 2004
1,188 Posts
Hey guys... I'm an R&D chemist. If you want to know what's inside of them... send me a sample of a broken blade. (PM me for an address) I'll run thermal on the plastic, and do a burn off on what is left. If there is carbon in it... I'll find it. I can also run an IR on it to see what kind of plastic they are using.

Just an offer.
Dr Honda is offline Find More Posts by Dr Honda
Old Feb 02, 2005, 11:35 AM
Enjoying the good life!
Ashburn, Virginia
Joined Feb 2002
1,941 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Honda
Hey guys... I'm an R&D chemist. If you want to know what's inside of them... send me a sample of a broken blade. (PM me for an address) I'll run thermal on the plastic, and do a burn off on what is left. If there is carbon in it... I'll find it. I can also run an IR on it to see what kind of plastic they are using.

Just an offer.
Can I send you my wife instead???

Been wondering what's inside that head for YEARS now!
Aobid is offline Find More Posts by Aobid
Old Feb 02, 2005, 12:14 PM
jsn
Dis-member
USA, VA, Ashburn
Joined Mar 2003
142 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aobid
Can I send you my wife instead???

Been wondering what's inside that head for YEARS now!

Must not make inside your wife joke........ must stay PG rated...
jsn is offline Find More Posts by jsn