HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 29, 2005, 09:33 AM
Joined Jan 2005
2,303 Posts
Help!
nitro converted ricky carmichael dirt bike

Hello my fellow 2 wheelers...........I went in the closet and dug the ricky carmichael dirt bike...........when i first bought it i ran it once stock elect.Then said this ain't gonna work.Ran home three days later came back nitro....YEEEEAAAAH.went much better,but i noticed the clutch bell was changing colors.yeeoow the clutch bell was burning hot.Geared to high changed that then the belt would slip sometimes.So i went chain and sprocket .Ran great then I put ball bearings in the rear plus drilled the gyro with holes to to make the bike some what lighter.Then took a jump......the land on its rear and broke the body in three places .BEEN RETIRED SINCE the winter of 2004
swheels is offline Find More Posts by swheels
Last edited by swheels; Jan 29, 2005 at 09:35 AM. Reason: change date of retired dirt bike
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 29, 2005, 09:40 AM
Stuttgart
Joined Jan 2004
1,781 Posts
Man, Ricky C looks like it was made for nitro!! You're pretty handy with these conversions!! Keep'em coming!
Tom
metomwhou is offline Find More Posts by metomwhou
Old Jan 29, 2005, 10:03 AM
Joined Jan 2005
2,303 Posts
Hey tom thanks..........I have vids of it running soon as i get the software or hardware.I will try and post them.
Old Jan 29, 2005, 10:13 AM
dammachines
United States, DC, Washington
Joined Feb 2004
1,375 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by swheels
Then took a jump......the land on its rear and broke the body in three places .BEEN RETIRED SINCE the winter of 2004
Nice work!! Looks like the rest of us have some catching up to do...

Where exactly did it break? By "body" do you mean the red plastic part? So it is still usable, just doesn't look pretty?

Just wondering what other parts of the bike might need to be strengthened...

Oh, and what's that cable going up to front forks? Did you add a brake to it? Otherwise how are you stopping?
dmincin is offline Find More Posts by dmincin
Last edited by dmincin; Jan 29, 2005 at 10:17 AM.
Old Jan 29, 2005, 10:53 AM
Joined Jan 2005
173 Posts
Wow, nitro dirt bike. I would buy the Ricky C bike if I thought I could convert it. Good work.
edv2122 is offline Find More Posts by edv2122
Old Jan 29, 2005, 11:30 AM
Grumpa Tom
United States, CA, Los Angeles
Joined Sep 2003
23,127 Posts
Cool! How about some construction photos?
Kmot is online now Find More Posts by Kmot
Old Jan 29, 2005, 11:32 AM
The Fireman
Joined Jan 2005
14 Posts
Was there any problem with gitting nitro to the engine? Like because of the carb?
vollmar is offline Find More Posts by vollmar
Old Jan 29, 2005, 12:29 PM
Joined Jan 2005
2,303 Posts
The bike motor set up is just like the nitro 1/5 on road bikes....So I will tell you an easy way of converting it......If you have thundertiger or nuova.......gas or electric...if you access to any metal scrap yard.You can get aluminum sheets of any size.Take thundertiger,nouva or even the ricky C stock side plates,Place down on the sheet of aluminum.Mark the lay shaft holes Then mark the holes for the fork assembly plates....Now for the motor to be mounted take the pull starter off.Place on the plates......Well you know where the motor goes.....Mark the holes,drill cut then assemble.......Oh skip a step the header will be a problem.I use a regular nitro header cut and reconfigured Then welded it with Some alumaweld rods(availible at your local hardware store)>Weld the header up and use the mip stinger pipe.....Will try and do step by step breakdown.....Have to get ricky out of the closet again.......Oh and body broke the rear finder and the seat off only leaveing tank intact.........
Old Jan 29, 2005, 12:34 PM
Joined Jan 2005
173 Posts
What size motor did you use? Did it wheelie? That would be cool.
edv2122 is offline Find More Posts by edv2122
Old Jan 29, 2005, 01:45 PM
Joined Jan 2004
423 Posts
so great. it just looks great, I love it

tom4
tom4 is offline Find More Posts by tom4
Old Jan 29, 2005, 02:09 PM
dammachines
United States, DC, Washington
Joined Feb 2004
1,375 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by swheels
Oh and body broke the rear finder and the seat off only leaveing tank intact.........
You do know you can order the replacement parts at Radio Shack?

I have scanned the side plates and have the .dxf files almost completed for them. Then I'll be able to add the new holes/cutouts and turn out new plates.

Though I'm embarassed at the amount of work I've been able to accomplish with the mill vs. what you've done with a dremel! Wish I had all these cool tools/toys when I was a bit younger...
dmincin is offline Find More Posts by dmincin
Old Jan 29, 2005, 02:10 PM
mp-
Napa, California
Joined Jan 2004
706 Posts
Sick, man. That is just sick.

Nice work.

Can't wait to see the video.

mp-
mp- is offline Find More Posts by mp-
Old Jan 29, 2005, 02:49 PM
Wetherby, UK
Joined Dec 2003
1,135 Posts
Now that's a proper Ricky! Excellent stuff! What size motor did you use? Looks like a .12, but I know looks are deceiving on these bikes
Hmmm, might just have to do that myself one day.

John
nuovaic is offline Find More Posts by nuovaic
Old Jan 29, 2005, 03:17 PM
PROFESSOR TRUTH JIMMY ICE
United States, CA, Los Angeles
Joined Sep 2003
6,649 Posts
Swheels... how do you stop it?.... what did you do for brakes?
Akura2 is offline Find More Posts by Akura2
Old Jan 29, 2005, 03:51 PM
Joined Jan 2005
2,303 Posts
Thanks guys Motor is a picco .15 It will pull a wheelie only on ruff terrain and stay on the throttle....HAHAHA......As far as breaks i was going to make some front breaks.......after breaking the body,front fender, ricky's head and the back shock went all pogo stick on me, you know (BOING!!BOING!!BOING)I put that cable in the front and RICKY C in the closet.