HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 29, 2005, 12:34 AM
B.C.,Canada
Joined Jan 2003
52 Posts
Giant Stinger w/G-62 as towplane...any pictures??

I have heard of folks using the giant stinger w/ G-62 as a towplane for 3-4 m. sailplanes. I would like to use the same combo and am looking for more information and pictures on how the tow release is attached. Since the rear turtledeck is plastic, I would like to learn how this area is modified, if at all, to beef it up and withstand the towing loads. Any other modifications and/or building tips/photos would be much appreciated.
Thanks in advance
Min
quietflyer is offline Find More Posts by quietflyer
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 30, 2005, 09:29 AM
Major lurker minor poster
Merrimack, NH USA
Joined Jun 2003
257 Posts
I don't have answers but I'm just starting a Reed's Models 8Ball ( Christmas present) for the same purpose and intend to use a G62 also. It's a shoulder wing design to which I'm adding flaps to aid in getting it on the ground quicker. Wood is good but the plans leave something to be desired in my mind. Initially, I'm thinking about mounting the release just behind the wing trailing edge with some reinforcement to the structure so that I won't have to do anything when attaching the wing .

JESTER
jester1a is offline Find More Posts by jester1a
Old Jan 30, 2005, 10:49 AM
In PA near Elmira NY
Joined Apr 2002
685 Posts
First;
The
Stinger will be an excelent tug as you describe. A ply bulkhead of some sort tied to the fuse and turtle deck can be installed with a tow release similar to what i use on the Pegasus tow planes. I have not built a stinger but the following pictures may be of some help.

To the fellow building the 8-Ball. Don't bother adding flaps, it is not really neccessary with this tug. It will settle right in at your feet without them. Of course if you already have them cut it won't be of any use for me to say not to... They only add complexity and extra battery drain. The 8 Ball is an excellent tug with a 60cc motor. We as you may know used one to tow up to 35 pound 1/3 sclae sailplanes. Beef up the gear as shown, brace the tail feathers, and install servos near the control surfaces for best results.
JD
scalesoar is offline Find More Posts by scalesoar
Old Jan 30, 2005, 10:55 AM
In PA near Elmira NY
Joined Apr 2002
685 Posts
Some 8 ball photos. It is hard to see, but there is the tow release behind the wing attached to a bulkhead. This is the best way to do it. There are eight tailbrace wires, also hard to make out on the photo. We used a music wire bungee system to reinforce the somewhat light duty landing gear.
JD
Old Jan 30, 2005, 11:26 AM
Merrimack, NH USA
Joined Jun 2003
257 Posts
Is that a commercial release? Quite a bit like I was going to make but it would be easier to purchase than fabricate. Also, did you make any modifications to accomodate the heavier engine(shorter nose maybe)? I figure about a pound more than what they specify.

Thanks for the good information- I will incorperate your examples in my build. The flaps are built in already- I have this vision of crow flaps and ailerons in a virtical dive in my head.

JESTER
Old Jan 30, 2005, 11:43 AM
In PA near Elmira NY
Joined Apr 2002
685 Posts
I found some more 8 Ball photos which might be of interest. Note the servo installation is somewhat dated, but it worked well for over 8 years and 1000 plus flights. The two 1/4 scale servos are rigged to dowel pushrods each to an elevator half. The solid pushrod pull pull is for the rudder. much redundancy here. These pics were taken in 1997.
Last edited by scalesoar; Jan 30, 2005 at 11:55 AM.
Old Jan 30, 2005, 11:45 AM
In PA near Elmira NY
Joined Apr 2002
685 Posts
one more...

JD

http://www.scalesoaring.com
Old Jan 30, 2005, 11:51 AM
In PA near Elmira NY
Joined Apr 2002
685 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jester1a
Is that a commercial release? Quite a bit like I was going to make but it would be easier to purchase than fabricate. Also, did you make any modifications to accomodate the heavier engine(shorter nose maybe)? I figure about a pound more than what they specify.

Thanks for the good information- I will incorperate your examples in my build. The flaps are built in already- I have this vision of crow flaps and ailerons in a virtical dive in my head.

JESTER

No, the nose is not shortened although without the cowl it looks like it. Forget crow, while a an interesting glider concept it will just slow your descent too much. To land from 1500 feet, cut the throttle, point the 8-Ball at the end of the runway and go straight down. The large prop disc at low throttle will be all the brake you need. flair and land at your feet. The speed will bleed off quickly as you level out.
It's a hoot to fly.

John
Old Jan 30, 2005, 06:12 PM
United States, KS, De Soto
Joined Aug 2004
734 Posts
I think I have seen that Pegasus before.....
jfrickie is online now Find More Posts by jfrickie
Old Jan 30, 2005, 07:12 PM
Merrimack, NH USA
Joined Jun 2003
257 Posts
John,

Thanks for all the useful information.

Quietflier,

Sorry about hijacking your thread. One note: the only Giant Stinger that I've seen broke it's back on a not too hard landing - which I attributed to the inherent weakness of a mid wing design. That's why I chose the 8Ball (for what my opinion is worth). Similar specs and there was more than one mention of it a good, inexpensive, towplane.

JESTER

PS: I'd really like a Wilga but it is kind of pricey for a first try at aerotow.
Old Jan 31, 2005, 12:38 AM
B.C.,Canada
Joined Jan 2003
52 Posts
John,
Thank you for your response and the photos. It gives me a better idea of the mods needed.

Jester,
I have heard about the 8-ball as a towplane, and looking at the photos John posted I'm sure it'll work great. Good Luck with your project!

Min
quietflyer is offline Find More Posts by quietflyer
Old Jan 31, 2005, 05:00 AM
In PA near Elmira NY
Joined Apr 2002
685 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jfrickie
I think I have seen that Pegasus before.....
Perhaps, at last years JR Aerotow, but it is not the one I think you think it is, that is a newer one.
Whew.
JD
Old Jan 31, 2005, 06:56 PM
United States, KS, De Soto
Joined Aug 2004
734 Posts
Thats the one I thought it was....(JR)...
jfrickie is online now Find More Posts by jfrickie