HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Sep 05, 2001, 09:45 AM
Northamptonshire, UK
Joined Oct 2000
811 Posts
Epoxy Paints in the UK

Does anyone know where I can get such paints in the UK? Or should I forget it and use std paints?

I intended to use tissue/dope covering on my P-47 with a topcoat of K&B epoxy paint. Maybe I should just use Solarlac or equivalent.

What about a final clear coat?
geoff.sim is online now Find More Posts by geoff.sim
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 05, 2001, 09:55 AM
United Kingdom, Bracknell
Joined Nov 2000
11,928 Posts
AFAIK the main point in favour of epoxy paints is that they are fuelproof ... not a big benefit with eflight! Similarly, why would you want to apply a clear top coat??
Bill Glover is online now Find More Posts by Bill Glover
Old Sep 05, 2001, 03:48 PM
Canada
Joined Nov 2000
7,154 Posts
Epoxy paints are the fastest way to add weight to a model.. you aren't missing much.
Bare is offline Find More Posts by Bare
Old Sep 05, 2001, 04:01 PM
EDF Head
Stavanger, Norway
Joined Feb 2000
7,999 Posts
Try the Humbrol enamels, Satins have a very nice semigloss surface that do look very good. Just prep the surface and paint. Its waterproof - thats what count with E-flight

-Haldor
Haldor is offline Find More Posts by Haldor
Old Sep 06, 2001, 08:27 AM
Northamptonshire, UK
Joined Oct 2000
811 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Bill Glover:
...Similarly, why would you want to apply a clear top coat??
I was wanting something to preserve the decals.

Anyway, looks like tissue, dope and acrylic paints now...

geoff.sim is online now Find More Posts by geoff.sim
Old Jul 21, 2008, 01:34 PM
The Cotswolds
Joined Jul 2007
74 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by geoff.sim
Does anyone know where I can get such paints in the UK?
What about a final clear coat?
I used to use Jawel Paints in Erdington, Birmingham. They would even match the colour to pro-film samples I took in.

Any car paint shop that mixes the paint for you can supply it. There is bound to be one near you. If your yellow pages doesn't suggest one, try contacting a local car body repair company and ask them where they get their paint from.

Regarding weight, that really depends on how much you put on. The F3a pattern flyers are very weight conscious yet they all paint their fuselages and some paint the wings too.

If you use a 2-pack clearcoat then you only need a single pack base colour underneath. Remember: for metallics you have to clearcoat over the top as the metallic colour coat has no shine. The base colours are dead easy to apply too, you can just keep goin over them till you get the depth of colour you want.

PS If you talk nicely to the person at the local car body repair company he might point his spray gun at your model after he's done spraying a car with a 2-pack clear.
RussellA is offline Find More Posts by RussellA