HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 27, 2005, 04:04 PM
H2OFLY
Portland Oregon USA
Joined Feb 2000
2,509 Posts
UltraFly PC-9 flew first time today

I built the UltraFly PC-9 pretty much as the instruction manual says, but instead of the supplied 8x8 prop, used a 10x6 folder...checking amp draw first to ensure that I did not overtax the supplied motor. UltraFly cautions us not to exceed 12 amps; this SonicTronics folding prop draws 9.6 amps from a 3s 1500 mah lipo pack.

Launch was easy - 3/4 throttle; grip just behind the (low) wing - which is always harder than tossing a high-wing model; model pulled away level, not dropping toward the ground. I had remembered to put in 3 clicks up elevator.

I want to dial in negative exponential for the ailerons, and for the sensitive elevator. Also will add more throw on the ailerons than mentioned in the manual. Rudder already has more throw than suggested; elevator is as they suggest.

Two caveats about this model: As with most of my experiences with this type foam model, the controls are not as crisp. Added to this is really the only fault I find with the model: The aileron torque rods are not strong enough. I noticed when assembling the model that the ailerons would flex 3-4 mm; I even cut into the bottom of the ailerons by torque rod part that goes into the aileron, to see if I had not glued them firmly - they were solid.
And I still had flex. One can see and feel that in flight, also.

This is not a fast model with the 6-inch pitch prop, yet I saw and felt that the control surfaces at full speed did not immediately respond to the control input ('not crisp'). Not a problem, unless you are flying too close to something; or are flying faster.

I had two glitches, so ended the flight after 3 minutes; the glitches were either my inadvertent pointing the Tx antenna at the model; or getting some swamping of signal for some reason. This is the first time I have flown this Rx, so that could be the problem. Unexpected, though, as it is a Berg 4. I will switch the Berg 5/6 I have for this one, as I flew the model the 5/6 was in today, also, for about the 10th time at this field - with rock-solid control.

My impressions: UltraFly's own gearbox and motor - work well; none of the loud noise some have experienced. Model assembly: Only a few things could have been stated (that weren't) in the manual - and as this is really a model that many inexperienced builders might choose, those several items could cause a problem. I mentioned the torque rod - I may make up new ones; or just live with it...it does not affect the flying that much, unless one is used to models that are 'tight' 3-D or pattern ships (and one knows what to expect, and can spot this). Landing speed: quite slow; good control all the way down to the ground. (No landing gear on this model)

Note: You will have may 15-18 parts left over - the parts supplied are obviously used for other models...the nose gear parts probably for the 182, for example.

That's my story, and I'm sticking with it!

Terry
temacc is offline Find More Posts by temacc
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 27, 2005, 04:38 PM
Renewed interest
Melbourne , Australia
Joined Jun 2002
8,950 Posts
nice story
ozace is offline Find More Posts by ozace
Old Jan 27, 2005, 07:50 PM
perth western australia
Joined Jan 2005
207 Posts
Good to here that it flue well on the stock motor setup

chris
cliddell is offline Find More Posts by cliddell
Old Oct 19, 2009, 10:54 PM
Kentucky
Joined Dec 2008
497 Posts
I just got mine going with a 1200KV brushless and 3S Lipo. A lot of power for this lightweight foamy. I think you are right about the ailerons.
Ranandar is offline Find More Posts by Ranandar