Charlotte Area Flying Part IV

Ok Guys heres the link to the part III thread .. Charlotte Area Flying Part III
Vyceroy is offline Find More Posts by Vyceroy
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 27, 2005, 12:50 AM
Huntersville, NC
Joined Jul 2002
1,699 Posts
Alrighty guys, tomorrow morning at 10:00 I'll be flying a demo for the Parks and Rec guy. Let's hope I don't crash.

The gym is approx. 114'x 90' and after another look at it yesterday I think the highest part of the ceiling is at least 30' probably closer to 40' I think a Tensor or Shockflyer (Slick, Mini 3DX, Knuffel etc.) will do fine in there as would any of the smaller EPP planes.

There is one other issue that may limit us to flying at night; Waymer field is 1.2 miles away. I honestly don't know if flying indoors at that distance could have an impact on any of the gassers but I'd hate to have any interference cause a crash indoors or out.

What do you think?

I''l let you know how it goes.

Ron
ronrandle is offline Find More Posts by ronrandle
Old Jan 27, 2005, 10:51 AM
Egistered Ruser
Charlotte, NC
Joined May 2002
500 Posts
I don't know if being indoors will weaken our signals or not... probably not. But if we fly at night it shouldn't matter too much. I don't think Waymer is open after dark.
There is only one way to find out for sure Good luck with the demo tomorrow. Keep us posted.
MayDay is offline Find More Posts by MayDay
Old Jan 27, 2005, 11:05 AM
karma...its not all good
Charlotte, NC
Joined Jun 2002
534 Posts
Indoors

Let us know - nights would be fine - as long as it is not Friday or Saturday

XT
xterra is offline Find More Posts by xterra
Old Jan 27, 2005, 11:16 AM
Huntersville, NC
Joined Jul 2002
1,699 Posts
Alright guys, got some good news and some not-so-good news. Good news is the test flight went perfectly and we have permission to fly there with an approved application.

Not-so-good news is that I think it's too small. I was able to fly fairly comfortably but there are a lot of obstacles and unless you're hovering, you are always turning. I also think with more than one plane in the air at a time we'll have a ton of mid-airs as the useable flying space is small and defined by the obstacles.

I'm going to submit an application and continue to look for other spots as well.

Ron
Old Jan 27, 2005, 11:19 AM
Egistered Ruser
Charlotte, NC
Joined May 2002
500 Posts
How do you like your Tensor Ron? I'm thinking of getting one.
MayDay is offline Find More Posts by MayDay
Old Jan 27, 2005, 11:30 AM
G G Ghost Pirates !!!
USA, NC, Gastonia
Joined Dec 2001
8,825 Posts
the only way i think your going to find a big enough place is somewhere like Cricket arena or the coliseum .. up north they have golf domes over driving ranges and they fly in there.. 80 foot ceilings ..
Old Jan 27, 2005, 12:02 PM
Charlotte, NC
Joined Apr 2004
800 Posts
I just found out this site existed !!!!!!!!!! Where is the indoor site and can we fly electric helo's?? I have a Corona 120.

Carl
cs1941 is offline Find More Posts by cs1941
Old Jan 27, 2005, 04:10 PM
Huntersville, NC
Joined Jul 2002
1,699 Posts
Some more news. The Charlotte Indoor Sports arena on Harris is perfect for indoor. They have two LARGE fields one for soccer and one for roller hockey. The soccer field is over 200'x120' and taller ceilings than Waymer. They'll also rent to us but have virtually no availability unless it's between 9:00 am and 4:00 pm. $100 an hour. We'd need at least ten guys to make it doable.

I'd be happy to follow up on any leads if you can think of someplace else to try. I'm thinking of giving the armory a call or trying to find a warehouse for leae that may let us in.

Also wanted to let you know that the Batteries Plus store has received a new shipment of Apogee 2170's, 2480's and 3140's. Call for pricing, but it will be very competitive.

Ron
Old Jan 27, 2005, 04:13 PM
Huntersville, NC
Joined Jul 2002
1,699 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by MayDay
How do you like your Tensor Ron? I'm thinking of getting one.
Scott, I dig the Tensor. It's a lot of fun and goes exactly wherer you point it. Very responsive and slow if you want it like that. Rolls are extremely axial and knife edge really is almost couple free.

I'm flying it with the E-flight 1080 and 3s830 Apogee packs and it's a rockin' set up.

Outdoors with a little wind and you can do perfectly vertical elevators.

Ron
Old Jan 27, 2005, 05:14 PM
karlovy vary
Joined Jan 2003
752 Posts
May day yes you hit it right on. and I stay like this.
Can I fly 90 size heli indoor??????????????
eldablo

Ron thanks for start #4.
eldablo is offline Find More Posts by eldablo
Old Jan 27, 2005, 08:37 PM
Charlotte, NC
Joined Nov 2003
280 Posts
Ron, my Gym-E loves obstacles! I have hit the same tree 4 times with it. It also likes to run into my bird bath and the kid's swing. Seriously, it sounds like that place is too small. The soccer field sounds great but is a little pricey at $100 per hour.
NCJim is offline Find More Posts by NCJim
Old Jan 27, 2005, 11:24 PM
Huntersville, NC
Joined Jul 2002
1,699 Posts
O.K., how does this sound, Friday night indoor fly-in at Northwest School of the Arts? It's located off Beatties Ford and the Brookshire. Not a great neighborhood but centrally located and they have a nice new big gym.

I have asked for a 'community use of school facilities' application and I think I can get the principal to approve our request.

The best part is if we use the gym for 'adult recreation' it's only $12.00 an hour!! I'm thinking we reserve the gym from 6:30 to 9:30 and we just have a ball for a few hours. At $36.00 a night we could probably do this more than once a month.

I'm going to look into insurance as a property damage policy is optional depending on what the principal requires. Since both my daughters go to that school I'm fairly certain we won't need that.

It might also help if we were a non-profit organization does anyone know how to apply for that?

Anyway I think we have a good shot at this and will let you know how it goes.

Ron
Old Jan 27, 2005, 11:28 PM
G G Ghost Pirates !!!
USA, NC, Gastonia
Joined Dec 2001
8,825 Posts
Ron .. dont know if this would help .. but some of us have AMA which has insurance .. this may help in his decision .. would that be this friday??
Old Jan 28, 2005, 01:37 PM
Spring time, planes bloom
near UNC Charlotte, NC
Joined May 2003
1,787 Posts
update from Mexico

Guys I ma glad you are looking for an indoor place to fly because trying to go out with 30 degrees has to be hard. Here we have 65 degrees everyday so I had to start building something for the flying season and since I have lots of spare time right now this is what I've been up to.
ecologito is offline Find More Posts by ecologito