HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 26, 2005, 11:02 AM
Joined Oct 2004
5 Posts
new boater here--couple ???'s

Did a search on prop, boat, boat parts, boat prop...and came back empty everytime. So. I bought me a little wally world mastercraft RC boat...pretty cool...runs good and for quite a long time. Just wanting to know if I can change props out on it...or actually where I can get some different props. And what do the specs on a prop actually mean...more pitch=faster?, etc?

any other tips or things to know about r/c boating?

abortmission is offline Find More Posts by abortmission
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 26, 2005, 12:09 PM
Useful Idiot
Asturias, Spain
Joined Mar 2001
3,545 Posts
It depends where you are. If you're in the US, www.offshoreelectrics.com is a good place to start. The dimensions of props relate to their diameter and pitch but in a rather complicated manner. The most popular Octura props, for example the "X" series have a 3 digit code. The first, either a 4 or a 6 relates to the pitch and means 1.4 times and 1.6 times the diameter respectively. The final two digits are the diameter in mm. So, an X430 would be 30 mm diameter by 42 mm pitch. The pitch is rather like a screw and refers to the theoretical distance travelled per revolution.
Increasing the pitch should increase speed but only assuming the motor has sufficient torque to turn it at the same speed.
martin richards is online now Find More Posts by martin richards
Old Jan 27, 2005, 09:15 PM
Steinbach, MB, Canada
Joined Nov 2004
394 Posts
Hi there Abort, when searching the net again search for 'RC boating' or visit http://www.hobbys.com.br/sites_outros.htm this site lists most suppliers of Rc products. I would caution you to measure the output shaft on your current boat and ensure from your supplier that their prop will fit.
Sackie is offline Find More Posts by Sackie