SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Mar 03, 2005, 08:45 AM
jumping trees
keller tx
Joined Dec 2003
317 Posts
v2 flys. maks funny movements when i try to do a loop thow I forgot to renforce the elevator. still doggy on 2 cells. my goal is for it to do a loop from leval with 2 fresh cells. I tried heaver batterys just for fun and it flew like the "v1" 89% model. ended up crashing it and as per irone's predection it cracked just outboard of the end of the spar. so on v3 I will have no spar or a Full length spar. most likly the ladder as i like how rigided the spar makes the wing.

Bryan

i added a piece of cf to the elevator and adjusted the motor slightly to the right and now she flys well. guess i'll stick with v2 for the moment. Unfortaintly, with all the wet grass it has been landing in the nose art already faded.
bgabric is offline Find More Posts by bgabric
Last edited by bgabric; Mar 03, 2005 at 09:24 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 03, 2005, 04:00 PM
Electric Orange
Orange, Australia
Joined Jun 2004
985 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bgabric
also at full size the plans did not align exactly right I think my printer has some larger than standerd margions. And could you make the lines "black" thay look black but when i try to print in black and white thay are very dim and dashed.

Bryan
Hmm... Bryan the lines are black. There are some light grey detail but the outlines are black.

Anyone else had trouble with this???

Scott
scotta is offline Find More Posts by scotta
Old Mar 03, 2005, 07:09 PM
Arlington, Texas
Joined Mar 2004
335 Posts
Bryan.......This comming Thursday we will not be flying. The gym is closed to us as school will be out for some reason or another.The kids will have it next week. The following week we will be back at it again. The TopGun planes all have 28" wingspans. All up weight runs 8.5 to 9.5 ounces. lightness is what gives you that level loop you want. Also static test your plane to find the best prop to use. usually a "D" drive will need an 1180, "C" 9070, "B" 8060 just for starters. A 2cell TP 730 lipo is light and powerfull. I would not recommend using 2mm depron for construction on a combat plane. One mid air = complete destruction.

TopGun Combat Planes
http://members.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI...serid=brodiejf
irone is offline Find More Posts by irone
Last edited by irone; Mar 03, 2005 at 10:16 PM.
Old Mar 03, 2005, 11:15 PM
Cross Into The Blue
SW Florida
Joined Aug 2004
356 Posts
irone, do your combat planes come pre-painted?
I'm building one of the Electric Orange P-40's, and would like a Tony to go with it, especially considering that It would work well with my Het-RC Tony!
migdestroyer999 is offline Find More Posts by migdestroyer999
Old Mar 03, 2005, 11:17 PM
Cross Into The Blue
SW Florida
Joined Aug 2004
356 Posts
BTW what are the wingspans of your models, and what gear are you using?
Old Mar 03, 2005, 11:17 PM
Cross Into The Blue
SW Florida
Joined Aug 2004
356 Posts
And Scott, what would you recommend as gear on your planes? Do you think a GWS IPS twin would work?
Old Mar 04, 2005, 01:01 AM
Electric Orange
Orange, Australia
Joined Jun 2004
985 Posts
Mig,

They are designed for EPS350C motor gearbox with Naro sized servos. I haven't had any experience with the IPS twin. Just remember that these planes do not have a lot of wing area and therefore need some speed to generate enough lift and the 350 sure does pull them along. They are not a floater at all.

Scott
Old Mar 04, 2005, 08:40 AM
jumping trees
keller tx
Joined Dec 2003
317 Posts
god what a bad da, I havr not had a flying day like this in years. ok so at 6:30 I was in my car on my way to the field with 3 airplanes. its now 7:30 and all is broke.

I started with the p-40 its alittle better but the thrust angle is killing me. what is it soposed to be? the problem I think im having is that my "mounting stick" is only 2" long and dose not stay put. I think the foam flexes and caused me problems.

so after killing both my batterys for that plane (its still fun to fly even if it does not fly right)

I took the xbow that i spent all last night building for her first flight. she has a rz400 and a prop that is not right but should work... saying that after giving her a toss all i saw was my plaing on the ground with the nose 3 foot in front of that.

that dident bug me.

I wiped out my trusted/heavy-lee moded gws zero. she came alive and burst foward but she was trimed down just a bit. i looked down to adjust and...well the right wing is over here the tail over there.... ARG. I dont think i'll be fixing that one.

so.. on v3 im thinking about a 6" motor mount. no spar. depron and some kind of light weight glue.

Bryan
Old Mar 04, 2005, 10:16 AM
jumping trees
keller tx
Joined Dec 2003
317 Posts
ok the zero and the xbox are fixed now. ( see pic below )

I printed out ANOTHER copy of the p40 plans and thay printed out fine althow i had to use another computer...

o-well im going to sleep Good night.

Bryan
Old Mar 04, 2005, 01:06 PM
Cross Into The Blue
SW Florida
Joined Aug 2004
356 Posts
Um, what lithium battery would you use with the EPS-350 on this plane while still maintaining a light weight, not burning out the motor, having tons of power, and still be able to fly for more than 10 min? THat's why I wanted to try the IPS twin. It can use a lithium 11.1v pack, and draws 4-amps, meaning you could use it with a very light-weight E-tec 450 or TP 480. What do you think?
Old Mar 04, 2005, 04:04 PM
Electric Orange
Orange, Australia
Joined Jun 2004
985 Posts
Mig,

I have a 3S TP730 on the way for the E-Combat planes. Now the 11.1V is really hitting the EPS350 way to hard so a lot of full throttle will kill the motor really quickly but it sure is a scream. I would be worried about pulling to higher amps out of smaller packs.

Scott
Old Mar 04, 2005, 04:07 PM
Electric Orange
Orange, Australia
Joined Jun 2004
985 Posts
Bryan,

I think we have all experience days like that. Some days you are just not meant to fly. As far as thrust angles etc 0 - 0 - 0 - 0 all the way. Easy to build and sufficient for combat. Just remember to have a small amount of up trim on the elevator to get that flat wing flying.

Scott
Old Mar 04, 2005, 06:51 PM
jumping trees
keller tx
Joined Dec 2003
317 Posts
cool thanks

Bryan
Old Mar 04, 2005, 09:29 PM
Arlington, Texas
Joined Mar 2004
335 Posts
Mig....They don't come painted but anyone can finish one out just like the pictures easily, there is a how to paint in five minutes, over on the "No FEAR" thread. Winspan = 28" on all models.

We Texans use only 2cell lipos or 7.4V max. We run GWS 350 "B" and "C" drives. The GWS 350's need to be timed for best performance. If you run 3 cell or 11.1V you will burn out your 350 in no time at all. The J250 is a good replacement motor for the 350 but it can not be timed. However at a dollar each it is a good value. You may also try a brushless set up or CD motor on 2 cells. Many are doing that.
irone is offline Find More Posts by irone
Old Mar 05, 2005, 10:45 AM
jumping trees
keller tx
Joined Dec 2003
317 Posts
Have you ever built a plan and said "WOW, this will fly great!" we, I hope it flys as well as it looks.

with 2cells attached. she weights 8.2 onunces or 235 grams

Bryan