HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jul 17, 2006, 12:41 AM
Lake In The Hills, Il
Joined Jun 2005
359 Posts
Hey People,
Here is my EO Zero! Flew it yesterday.
I used a J250 in a "C" gearbox with a 9x7 prop on 2s.
AUW = 7oz w/o batts ( abit FAT I know )
Flys pretty scale like on 2s.
There's a few guys I fly with that have P51, P40, and a Sptifire. And I thought they might need someone to chase around a bit. But if they start playing rough I can throw a 3s on and be gone!

And to Scotta wherever you are, Thank you for the plans!
You are the Man!!!
windy city
windy city is offline Find More Posts by windy city
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 18, 2006, 03:59 AM
Electric Orange
Orange, Australia
Joined Jun 2004
985 Posts
Windy,

I'm still around, only really have time to check over the group every few days. New job and business interests are keeping me so busy. I can't remember the last time I had a fly. Spring is coming :-)

Scott
scotta is offline Find More Posts by scotta
Old Jul 18, 2006, 11:25 AM
Lake In The Hills, Il
Joined Jun 2005
359 Posts
Scotta,
Man it is good to hear from you! Hope everything is good your way.
Thanks for all your work on these planes/ plans.
Do me a favor please, charge up some batterys and throw one in the air! It will make you smile! (Even if you have to put on a coat.)
Thanks again,
windy city
windy city is offline Find More Posts by windy city
Old Nov 06, 2006, 08:08 AM
Joined Jul 2004
658 Posts
Hi Scott,
When is your website coming back online?

I mainden the P-40, used wood dow for wing support. It was a bit windy (~10mph).
The wing flaps like a bird and broke the wood dow.
Needless today, crashed.

Which plan is the most fav here?
I love the quick build.
Thanks,
CaptEvo is offline Find More Posts by CaptEvo
Old Nov 06, 2006, 08:47 AM
Joined Jul 2004
658 Posts
can someone post p-51 pdf?
thanks.
CaptEvo is offline Find More Posts by CaptEvo
Old Jun 30, 2011, 10:50 PM
low tech high tech
Southern Vermont
Joined Feb 2007
3,029 Posts
Well, Just finished the foam part of the build. Sorry to seethis thread lapse so long. Not actually planning on any combat, just fun flying a simple to build fun plane.

Haven't mounted gear or motor yet.

I have on hand a 2s 800mah pack, and an 18A esc. So I'll use those. Wondering what to use these days for a motor.

I have on hand the following:
HobbyKing D2211-1700
HobbyKing D2730-1300
Emax CF2822
TowerPro 2408-21

Seems like the first might be too small, second and third too slow on 2S. So maybe the old clunky 2408-21? That thing has been on many (now deceased) planes and spent a half year in a tree, and still keeps on ticking.

Maybe an 8x6 two blade prop?

I would kinda like a 3 blade, but don't know if it would work very well. For 3 blades I have a GWS 7x3.5 and an 8x4.

Airframe weight so far is 2.5 oz.

I'll use an Orange 6 ch receiver (without case) and 2 Hxt 9gr servos.

This was my first try at an airbrushed camouflage plane. I used craft store paint, mixed, plus a squirt of Windex, and a bit of water.

I made up the roundels and tail emblem, and modified/stretched the mouth emblem using Open Office Draw.

The canopy was the one in this thread. These were all printed on plain paper, hit with Krylon Crystal Clear to fix the ink, and stuck on with 3M 77.
vtdiy is offline Find More Posts by vtdiy
Old Jun 30, 2011, 11:14 PM
low tech high tech
Southern Vermont
Joined Feb 2007
3,029 Posts
Oh, yes, one more thing. I know I'm going to be asked. Plans ARE available for these profile combat planes, if you look hard enough, even though Scotta's Electric Orange website is no more. Just take a trip on the Internet Wayback Machine to here:

http://web.archive.org/web/200506161.../e-combat.html
Old Jul 04, 2011, 12:55 PM
Joined Jul 2009
1,313 Posts
here is my P51 flying..

Seven Year old flying a P51 D Combat (1 min 19 sec)

Skies of Colombo - P51 D flying very high (1 min 28 sec)
mrexcel is offline Find More Posts by mrexcel
Old Jul 06, 2011, 12:35 AM
low tech high tech
Southern Vermont
Joined Feb 2007
3,029 Posts
Very cool pilot!

Hard to tell from a video, but it looks like there is dihedral in the wings, and the plane seems fairly slow and stable by comparison with the EO P51 design -- is this plane from the plans in this thread? Is that apparent dihedral just from the foam bending?

What size motor are you using?

Congratulations, anyway!
Old Jul 07, 2011, 02:21 PM
Joined Jul 2009
1,313 Posts
I did a small modification to the plans from this site. I added a bit of dihedral, aerofoil and some wing incident.
Old Jul 07, 2011, 02:23 PM
Joined Jul 2009
1,313 Posts
motor is HK 10grams brushless. 1811-1500 with 180mah lipo. flight time is about 15 mins
Old Jul 07, 2011, 09:23 PM
low tech high tech
Southern Vermont
Joined Feb 2007
3,029 Posts
Ahh, well, mrexcel, those changes would tame it quite a bit.

I got a little too ambitious with the P-40 -- a tp2408-21, 2s 800 pack, 3 blade 8-4 prop cut down to 7" and 8.5 oz AUW

I had a slight amount of up trim on first hand launch since the flat wing was at zero incidence, and I'd read here that was needed. But on hand launch at full throttle the plane went into an immediate high speed 20 foot loop and I was too slow to pull it out of the crash behind me.

Broke the nose off into a bunch of pieces and a put a crack in the wing. I took it home, reassembled the smashed pieces with epoxy and hot glue. Put a slight amount of down thrust in, flattened all elevator trim out. Drove back to the field. This time launched at about 50% power. She dove straight into the ground ten feet in front of me and I didn't have enough power to pullout! Again breaking the nose off into a bunch of bits, and cracking the wing again, even though this was in tall grass. The Cellfoam 88 I used is brittle, and already repaired once, just couldn't take it.

I've decided it's not worth re-building for now. I did template all the parts when I first built it and will return to this model again in the future. Probably won't paint it next time. Bet it will fly fine that way. Painting it nice is just asking for trouble on a maiden!

For now, I decided to build EO's other good looking, and much more forgiving plane, the Depron Gee Bee D. Been wanting to do that one for a long time.

I won't paint that one before the maiden, either!
Last edited by vtdiy; Jul 07, 2011 at 09:47 PM.
Old Jul 07, 2011, 10:11 PM
Joined Jul 2009
1,313 Posts
Oh. That happens. This weekend I will also build and fly a P40. I will not be using flat wings though.
Old Jul 07, 2011, 11:26 PM
low tech high tech
Southern Vermont
Joined Feb 2007
3,029 Posts
Yes, that will reduce the stall speed, along with the much lighter gear and motor you're using.

I think my stall speed worked out to something like 16-18 mph with the flat wing, so everything else had to be bumped up. Top speed would have been about 40 mph with the gear I had. Well the original purpose was combat R/C, so, not surprising.

I think what you're doing makes a lot of sense, for fun park flying -- probably closer to what I should have done, as well.
Old Jul 07, 2011, 11:28 PM
Joined Jul 2009
1,313 Posts
you are correct. I like flying to be a relaxed activity.