HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Mar 23, 2006, 09:29 AM
UH-60 Blackhawk TI
Michigan, United States
Joined Feb 2006
176 Posts
Cary

Just so you know. My wingspan is 26" and the fuse length is 23 1/2. I am not sure about the AUW. Do you think that might have a bit to do with it? being so small.
hawk
hawk4932 is offline Find More Posts by hawk4932
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 23, 2006, 09:44 AM
On patrol.
Broomfield, Colorado
Joined Jun 2004
1,287 Posts
Hawk: These are definitaly larger planes than the one you built. I don't know what your plane's weight is, but Hobby Lobby rates that motor for 3D performance up to 8oz, IIRC, and up to 16oz for sport flying.

In my experience, my larger planes have always flown better and are more enjoyable than my smaller planes. My larger planes are less likely to be overweight and suffer from too high a wing loading. The setup of large planes is also less frustrating and fiddly. On some of my attempts at small planes, the acceptable CG range was only 1/4" or less I'm just not that patient. I've given up on small planes and indoor planes for the time being. Give me a nice 36"-48" span plane with an inch or two of CG range to play with and 10-20oz AUW and I can have some fun. If it can also handle 10-15 MPH winds easily, life is beautiful.
Cary Reeves is offline Find More Posts by Cary Reeves
Old Mar 23, 2006, 09:46 AM
On patrol.
Broomfield, Colorado
Joined Jun 2004
1,287 Posts
BTW, my EO P-51 was a good flyer and my brother-in-law built one that he has had good luck with. We built them to the plans and I believe they are in the 36" span range.

**Edit** Sorry, I just checked the first few posts and Scott points out that the span should be 29", on the plans it looks like 28.5". Either way it wasn't the 36" I thought it was.
Last edited by Cary Reeves; Mar 23, 2006 at 12:06 PM.
Old Mar 23, 2006, 10:08 AM
On patrol.
Broomfield, Colorado
Joined Jun 2004
1,287 Posts
Regarding Instant RC: I have not purchased any of their planes. They sent me four of them to build as beta builds. The first was a sample P-51 cut from FFF and it flew well although I had it a little underpowered. Eventually I crashed it. Chris at IRC then sent me a replacement P-51 in Depron as well as a Corsair and the Chipmunk in Depron. I still have the Depron P-51 unbuilt. The quality is fantastic. The foam is CNC routed and has clean, sharp edges and the spar slots are routed in as well. The ones I received were foam only, I needed to provide everything else including carbon spars, control horns, motor mounts, etc. I don't know how the production kits come, but I would assume they are foam only. I figured that the cost of the IRC kits is only $5-10 over what I would have to pay locally for the depron. Well worth it IMO for having them CNC cut. There are several others who have posted beta threads discussing the quality of the kits and the flying characteristics of the models. Just search for "IRC" or "Instant RC" in the thread titles.

Of the 20 or so planes I've built in the last 18 months, 7 have been from kits: Slowstick (a gift), PCW (wing), Devastator (wing), SlowJazz (indoor), and the IRC planes. The rest were scratch built from plans I've found online or from my own designs. The scratch built planes have flown as well and often better than anything I've purchased. Of the kits, I've most enjoyed the SlowStick, the Chipmunk, and the P-51. I flew the SlowJazz once and gave it away; I go hot and cold on the wings. With scratch built planes, I've had some great flying with: Blu DC-3 (I've built 4), EO Cub (I've built 4), EO P-51, Blu-51, Hiperbipe, and others. Some other great planes that I either haven't built yet but plan to or that I built too heavy early on and want to do again, right, include: Stuart Little Bipe, Birddog, STC, STAP, Nasty, Big Nasty full fuse, EO GB(lighter this time), Blue Beagle (for the kids), Agwagon (lighter). I enjoy building as much as flying so I'm not really motivated to buy kits.

However, if I wanted a quick build of a plane for which I didn't already have templates, I wouldn't hesitate to order one of IRC's planes. I'm already thinking there will be more RC Chipmunks down the road when I destroy this one.
Old Mar 23, 2006, 10:08 AM
United States, CA, San Diego
Joined Jul 2002
6,357 Posts
kits

Here are the kits Im working on!

Its from www.2dogrc.com or www.flatfoamflyers.com I take there basic kits and pre paint them and trim the wings and apply decals so they build real quick!

Anyone intersested in one PM for more deatails!

Will only ship to US ADDRESS.
tallflyer is offline Find More Posts by tallflyer
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: New GoPro Hero3+ Black Edition
Old Mar 23, 2006, 11:42 AM
Quesnel BC
Joined Oct 2005
65 Posts
Hello Fellows
I am having problems printing these plans off at full size. Hepdog had the same problem, any help out there would be welcome. The plans for the P 51 come out at 26"
Thanks for any help
Ted
Taz H is offline Find More Posts by Taz H
Old Mar 23, 2006, 12:03 PM
UH-60 Blackhawk TI
Michigan, United States
Joined Feb 2006
176 Posts
Hi Taz,

I had the same problem except I didn't relize the problem until i had the foam already cut out. All I can say is that you need to change something when your print screen comes up. I can't remember what it was but if you don'tmind printing a few extra pages I am sure you can figure it out. Now, on your print screen that comes up when you click on Print, there is a drop down box that says page scaling: There are a couple of different settings , try those. I am not sure which one. I am not very good with computers so if it does not work please dont get upset with me.
I am quite sure that will fix your problem. Hope it helps. You should be looking fro about a 29" wingspan. Trust me you want this. Mine flies ok with the 26"wing span but I would have rather had the 29" due to the wing loading. Let us know how it turns out. good luck.

Hawk
hawk4932 is offline Find More Posts by hawk4932
Old Mar 23, 2006, 12:50 PM
On patrol.
Broomfield, Colorado
Joined Jun 2004
1,287 Posts
Be sure to uncheck the "Shrink oversized pages box". In fact, I would uncheck all of the boxes under Copies and Adjustments. The problem is most likely that since the plans are A4 size sheets which are a little taller and a little narrower than US Letter size. Acrobat is resizing down to get the full page to print on your letter size paper.

As a side note, and not related to the scaling problem, I personally prefer single sheet plans since I can open them in photoshop or some other graphics program and drag the image around in print preview to print exactly what I want where I want. This way I usually end up with significantly fewer sheets to tape together and I never have to split small parts across two pages, I just center them and print. It appears Scott went to some effort to lay his tiles out efficiently so his work out well and he even included the one piece templates in the same file. Most tiled plans you find are automatically tiled and you end up with bad page breaks and small parts on 2 or more pages when its not necessary. So, when I have a choice I go with the single page plans over the tiled ones. Food for thought.
Last edited by Cary Reeves; Mar 23, 2006 at 01:29 PM.
Old Mar 23, 2006, 09:29 PM
Quesnel BC
Joined Oct 2005
65 Posts
Thank you Cary and Hawk.
I tried what you suggested ,but my print screen has everythink yours does but not the shrink oversized pages to paper size. The top of the screen that says Adobe Acrobat on yours. Mine says Acrobat Reader ,maybe thats what the difference is. How would one get your version. Thankyou Thankyou Ted
Old Mar 24, 2006, 12:42 AM
On patrol.
Broomfield, Colorado
Joined Jun 2004
1,287 Posts
I have the full commercial version of Acrobat. I haven't had Reader installed for years, but I'm sure somewhere it has to have a similar option. Try looking in the help file under printing.
Old Mar 24, 2006, 01:37 AM
Kaohsiung, Taiwan
Joined Aug 2003
204 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taz H
Thank you Cary and Hawk.
I tried what you suggested ,but my print screen has everythink yours does but not the shrink oversized pages to paper size. The top of the screen that says Adobe Acrobat on yours. Mine says Acrobat Reader ,maybe thats what the difference is. How would one get your version. Thankyou Thankyou Ted
Hey Ted.

I have Acrobat Reader 7.0 for the Mac. There is a pull down menu for scaling. I'll try to attach a couple of screen shots. one with "reduce to printer margins", and one with no scaling. You can see the fit to page shot prints at 93%. Hopefully yours is similar. HTH.

Barry
blowentw is offline Find More Posts by blowentw
Old Mar 24, 2006, 11:12 AM
Quesnel BC
Joined Oct 2005
65 Posts
Thanks fellows
Can not getAcrobat to work, but did find Tile Print and got it to work this morning on a different airplane. Thanks for your help.
Ted
Old Apr 26, 2006, 02:32 PM
Joined Jan 2006
12 Posts
CG location

Hi guys any idea where[IMG] the Cg location is it around black or green arrow.

faiunie is offline Find More Posts by faiunie
Old Apr 26, 2006, 03:14 PM
Dallas Texas
Joined Oct 2004
917 Posts
You could start with the CG 25% of the root cord back from the leading edge, which would be slightly begind your black arrow. Measure your root chord (the width of the wing up next to the fuselage), divide that by 4, then make your cg that far back from the leading edge of the wing. You may want to move it back slightly as you get a feel for the plane.

It looks like you are almost ready for some Combat. Good Luck to you.
rockin' roller is offline Find More Posts by rockin' roller
Old Apr 26, 2006, 04:10 PM
Joined Jan 2006
12 Posts
Hey thanks bro great info.I will power it with:

Motor: Himark 2025-4200 BL
Gear: 64T
Prop:1047
ESC:CC25
Fuel:10C Lipo 2S 1200mah
servo:Hitec HS-55
RX:Hitec HS-05MS

Guys do 1047 prop suitable for Gear: 64T
What gearing should be install for prop 1047?
faiunie is offline Find More Posts by faiunie