HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Mar 09, 2006, 01:52 PM
Dallas Texas
Joined Oct 2004
926 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bubbahotep
I have a 350 with D gearing on hand. Would that be ok for this plane or no? It seems like B or C is choice for this plane.

(I'm sort of new, so I dont understand the significant differences between the different gearings.)

Thanks
I think these planes want to fly at a fairly high speed and the smaller ratios with smaller props will work the best. The D gearing is more for 3-D and slow flying.
rockin' roller is offline Find More Posts by rockin' roller
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 09, 2006, 02:22 PM
United States, CA, San Diego
Joined Jul 2002
6,366 Posts
Question on CA and foam!

I Have some great planes CA+ pro foam safe CA and when I try to glue 2 pieces of depron foam together it does not work very well! is kicker the answer! or what!

I see your using a green bottle of CA is there a difference in CA or does some brands just work better!

Thanks for your input everyone!
tallflyer is offline Find More Posts by tallflyer
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: New GoPro Hero3+ Black Edition
Old Mar 09, 2006, 02:58 PM
UH-60 Blackhawk TI
Michigan, United States
Joined Feb 2006
176 Posts
I use a spray on activator and it really helps, with out it the CA does not want to stick and stays wet forever. Any brand of activator should work just fine.
hawk4932 is offline Find More Posts by hawk4932
Old Mar 09, 2006, 11:48 PM
United States, CA, San Diego
Joined Jul 2002
6,366 Posts
Thanks for the input I thought I was just unlucky and got a bad couple bottles of CA until I tried to glue my fingers together!

thanks for the heads up!
tallflyer is offline Find More Posts by tallflyer
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: New GoPro Hero3+ Black Edition
Old Mar 10, 2006, 04:47 AM
UH-60 Blackhawk TI
Michigan, United States
Joined Feb 2006
176 Posts
WOW, I finally got the maiden flight in today on my P40. WOW. It flew awesome even if it is a little smaller than it should be. I had 3 great flights and landings. It is just like everyone said though, it must be flown fast. I tried to cut it down to half throtle and it wants to drop. At 3/4 throtle it flew like a dream (Very Fast). I could not have been any happier. Now I will build one to the correct size. Thanks Scotta for an outstanding combat plane. I still have a big smile on my face.
Old Mar 10, 2006, 09:20 AM
On patrol.
Broomfield, Colorado
Joined Jun 2004
1,287 Posts
Congrats hawk!
Cary Reeves is offline Find More Posts by Cary Reeves
Old Mar 11, 2006, 03:06 PM
United States, TN, Mountain City
Joined Feb 2003
131 Posts
Here's a Zero

Here's a Zero. Its a great flyer!

Specs:
28.5" wing
4.6 oz weight (w/o battery)
17T CD-ROM motor
2 HS-50 servos
4ch GWS Rx
10A Tower Pro ESC
GWS 8x4 prop

Painted with Floral Spray...works great on foam...get it at Michaels or AC Moore or other "crafts" stores.

I thought this was a little small for the heavier GWS brushed 350, so I wound a CD-ROM motor, designed for 2S LiPo packs.

It has flown with:
ThunderPower 13C 730PL (35g)
PolyQuest 10C 850 (50g)
VamPower 10C 1050 (50g)
Dymond 12C 1500 (65g)

Flies well with all the packs, it seems to be able to handle the extra weight of the Dymond pack just fine.

THANKS Scotta!!!!!

...Bill
ncpiperpilot is offline Find More Posts by ncpiperpilot
Last edited by ncpiperpilot; Mar 11, 2006 at 03:18 PM.
Old Mar 13, 2006, 11:30 AM
On patrol.
Broomfield, Colorado
Joined Jun 2004
1,287 Posts
Looks good NC. Any difficulties balancing it with the smaller packs?
Old Mar 13, 2006, 11:00 PM
United States, TN, Mountain City
Joined Feb 2003
131 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cary Reeves
Looks good NC. Any difficulties balancing it with the smaller packs?
Cary,
No problem. The pack you see in the picture is the 35g TP730 PL pack. Where it is located puts the CG is on the spar.

...Bill
ncpiperpilot is offline Find More Posts by ncpiperpilot
Old Mar 23, 2006, 04:36 AM
UH-60 Blackhawk TI
Michigan, United States
Joined Feb 2006
176 Posts
Modified P-40

Ok guys, I have a question. What do you think about this? I had a incident a couple of weeks ago with the original motor that was installed(brushed motor) and suffered some minor damage to the nose of my P-40. I have since repaired the nose and have installed an XT400 brushless with a Jeti-08 speed control. I had planned on flying it this morning but it is too windy. Now I am sitting here and wondering if it is a good idea or not. What do you guys think? Here are a couple of pictures. One is the repaired nose with XT400 installed and the others are just after it was built. What do you all think? Thanks

Hawk
Old Mar 23, 2006, 09:10 AM
Victoria Super Mortem
BIRMINGHAM ALABAMA
Joined Jan 2006
1,459 Posts
What Is Cellfoam 88?

Man, that foam looks good and like it cuts clean. What the heck is it and where can I get it??
Bo
UBILDIT is offline Find More Posts by UBILDIT
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: LaTrax Alias with a 1Si Camera
Old Mar 23, 2006, 09:37 AM
On patrol.
Broomfield, Colorado
Joined Jun 2004
1,287 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by hawk4932
. . . I have since repaired the nose and have installed an XT400 brushless with a Jeti-08 speed control. I had planned on flying it this morning but it is too windy. Now I am sitting here and wondering if it is a good idea or not. What do you guys think? . . .
It's a great idea. That motor is perfect for that plane and is a big boost in power 60W to 100+W. I have used it on similar profile planes from Instant RC with great results. My planes weighed between 10 and 12 oz.

Here are some links to my similar setups with videos:

I first used it on the IRC Chipmunk and like you switched from a stick mount to a firewall mount after the build.

When I built the IRC Corsair I went with the firewall mounted 400xt from the beginning.

I even am using this motor on an 18+oz Hiperbipe although it is a bit of a stretch.

Go for it and good luck.
Old Mar 23, 2006, 09:54 AM
UH-60 Blackhawk TI
Michigan, United States
Joined Feb 2006
176 Posts
Well. I just got back. The weather broke, the winds died down and I decided to just go for it. Holly cow. It is almost overkill. flies at 1/2 throttle. 11.1v 800mah lipo for the batt. I found out that it does not like to loop very well. But its not too bad though. I had a bit of a hard landing and cracked the BluCore just in front of the LE. Simple repair but I think it was weakened from the previous incident before I changed the motors. So I am concerned that there might be some more weak spots.

Cary- Do you find that your corsair is more of a pattern flier or can you do alittle more with it? My P-40 flies nice (fast) and does good snap rolls but that is about it. I am going to check out your links right now.

Hawk
Old Mar 23, 2006, 10:05 AM
On patrol.
Broomfield, Colorado
Joined Jun 2004
1,287 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by hawk4932
Cary- Do you find that your corsair is more of a pattern flier or can you do alittle more with it? My P-40 flies nice (fast) and does good snap rolls but that is about it. I am going to check out your links right now.
Hawk
All three of the planes I have this motor on will fly more maneuvers than I can. But I have been able to fly inside loops big or small, outside loops, quick rolls, knife edge, stall turns, tumbles, inverted, etc. with all of them. I am most comfortable with the Chipmunk because I have more time on it. The Corsair is a bit pitch sensitive and otherwise less solid. I have played with CG position a bit. I also sanded all of the LE's and tips round on the Corsair but not on the Chipmunk and wonder if that has affected the flying feel. It could be too that the Corsair just needs a little more tail moment.

If you are asking if the Corsair will fly 3-D hovering type maneuvers, I have no idea but I doubt it.
Old Mar 23, 2006, 10:25 AM
UH-60 Blackhawk TI
Michigan, United States
Joined Feb 2006
176 Posts
Cary
I just got done reading and watching the video on the corsair. Very nice. I am impressed with how it flies. It is much larger than the P-40 that I built which is more than likely the reason why it flies better with that set up. I am not looking for 3D out of these kind of planes. But more than just fling in circles would be nice. I also have never heard of instantRC , I just got off there website. (saved it to my favorites)I think I will be making a purchase soon. So you like the chipmunk the best. I was also impressed with their prices, very cheap. How is the quality? Thanks

Hawk