HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Aug 24, 2005, 07:47 AM
Berne, NY
Joined Sep 2004
594 Posts
Well I finished building the P-40 last night. I really like the design. Easy to build, and nice lines!!

Here is picture of the P-40. I know this thread is about the P-51, so I guess I'll have to build one of those too!

Electric Orange P-40

Bottom

I did use CA hinges, and they worked great. I put the CA on the hinge then inserted it into the control surface. Marked the wing, or stab, sloted to receive the hinge applied a bit more CA, and put it together. The real trick was making sure I didn't have a gap. Not hard, and I think the surfaces move smoother, and it takes a finish better. I just hope it holds together. I guess it will be harder to repair as well.

Jim
schoonerj is offline Find More Posts by schoonerj
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 24, 2005, 07:57 AM
Electric Orange
Orange, Australia
Joined Jun 2004
985 Posts
Jim,

Man that P-40 looks great. Excellent paint job. Add some canopy detail... oh and the 3 bladed prop... nice.

When will she fly?

Scott
scotta is offline Find More Posts by scotta
Old Aug 24, 2005, 10:07 AM
Berne, NY
Joined Sep 2004
594 Posts
I'm hoping to get it in the air tonight. Just need to mount servos etc. I am going to make some kind of canopy decal I just haven't figured it out yet.

Thanks again for the plans. I'll let you know how she flies! I'm using a GWS -350 with D gearing, and as you saw a 3 blade 9 X 7 prop.
Old Aug 24, 2005, 03:26 PM
Krued Up
United States, MA, Springfield
Joined Jul 2004
4,559 Posts
got the P51 in the air today with great success.

Himaxx BL w/GB and 9x7 SF prop
2s1100mA
CC10
snolord1 is offline Find More Posts by snolord1
Old Aug 24, 2005, 08:13 PM
Krued Up
United States, MA, Springfield
Joined Jul 2004
4,559 Posts
almost lost the darn thing,just dumb luck that it was in the first house that i asked at.
snolord1 is offline Find More Posts by snolord1
Old Aug 24, 2005, 10:01 PM
Berne, NY
Joined Sep 2004
594 Posts
Well I managed a very nice canopy, and it flies great. The second flight ended in disaster I think the battery fell out, but I'm not sure. I lost all controll, and the motor died. It went in from about 100 feet. There are now 3 large pieces, and a few small ones. Electronics are OK. I already started a replacment airframe.

All I can say is NUTS, but what fun!!!!
Old Sep 05, 2005, 11:24 AM
Joined Aug 2005
78 Posts
I have a 350 with D gearing on hand. Would that be ok for this plane or no? It seems like B or C is choice for this plane.

(I'm sort of new, so I dont understand the significant differences between the different gearings.)

Thanks
bubbahotep is offline Find More Posts by bubbahotep
Old Mar 09, 2006, 04:46 AM
UH-60 Blackhawk TI
Michigan, United States
Joined Feb 2006
176 Posts
I see its been awhile since the last post. Well I am deployed in the Army Nat'l guard and we have about 6 guys here that are flying RC. I just finished my P-40. Unfortunantly I finished it before I found the thread. Big Mistake. I also have a smaller than normal P-40, 26" wing span & the fuse length is 22 1/2". Today will be it's maiden flight.

We are waiting for more foam to be sent from our loved ones back in the states. The great thing is how many other people are really showing an interest in our sport. There is not much else to do in our free time. I love building anyway.

Great thread and great looking combat planes Scotta. Next time I will get the size correct on the plans. Wish me luck, if it fails it will be 2-3 weeks before I can do anything since it takes forever to get stuff sent here. (Kosovo, Peace Keeping Mission). Take care and God Bless

SGT Jones 238th Aviation, Task Force Talon, KFOR-7
hawk4932 is offline Find More Posts by hawk4932
Old Mar 09, 2006, 08:09 AM
Joined Oct 2005
195 Posts
AWESOME Website! I wish all plans were drawn as good to print as these! Keep'em coming.
darkmask is offline Find More Posts by darkmask
Old Mar 09, 2006, 08:22 AM
UH-60 Blackhawk TI
Michigan, United States
Joined Feb 2006
176 Posts
I am very upset. I had my plane a trimmed last night and ready to go. I got out today and plugged in my battery and everything started twitching badly. Receiver problems I think................Not really sure, I plugged this receiver into another one of my planes and had the same problem, all new equipment on the plane. I have a GWS 6ch Naro Receiver(new). Hitec HS-55 servos(also New). Everything was fine during last nights preflight checks. Any Ideas guys?
Old Mar 09, 2006, 09:34 AM
On patrol.
Broomfield, Colorado
Joined Jun 2004
1,287 Posts
Here are some possibilities that I have experienced that could cause the behavior you're talking about:

Any communications equipment, radar, generators, high voltage lines, or other equipment that could be generating RF interference in the area that may be active during the day that wasn't active last night?

Make sure the transmitter is turned on before connecting the battery on the plane.

Make sure the crystal is seated well in the receiver, use a rubber band or dab of hotglue or something similar to keep it in place.

Do you have a synth module in your transmitter? Is it on the right channel?

Has the RX antenna been pulled? If so you may need to resolder it to the board or repair/replace the antenna wire if is broken mid length.

Good luck to you.
Cary Reeves is offline Find More Posts by Cary Reeves
Last edited by Cary Reeves; Mar 09, 2006 at 09:40 AM.
Old Mar 09, 2006, 11:11 AM
UH-60 Blackhawk TI
Michigan, United States
Joined Feb 2006
176 Posts
Thanks for the Help Cary,

Its a good chance that I am getting interference. Although I was flying with 3 friends of mine here. We are on an Army base in Kosovo which might count for interference. I have a Futaba 6EXA TX and my friends all have JR's. They had no problems at all. I checked everything when I got back to my Seahut and still having the same problem, checked the crystal and it seems to be seated just fine. Antenna is also seated firm.

What is this synth mode you were talking about?

Well at least my friends had a good day to fly and I took alot of great pictures & video. Not a complete failure of a day.
Old Mar 09, 2006, 11:34 AM
UH-60 Blackhawk TI
Michigan, United States
Joined Feb 2006
176 Posts
I think I figured it out. When I was programming in my plane name I must have bumped my puls from PPM to PCM. I changed it back to PPM and everything seems to be functioning properly. What do you think?
Old Mar 09, 2006, 12:30 PM
Joined Oct 2005
195 Posts
Hawk,

Yeah that would do it. What is a TI? I fly SH-60B for the Navy. Hope you get home soon.
darkmask is offline Find More Posts by darkmask
Old Mar 09, 2006, 12:58 PM
UH-60 Blackhawk TI
Michigan, United States
Joined Feb 2006
176 Posts
Hey Darkmask,

Thanks, it seems to work fine now. A TI is a Technical Inspector. It would be what the Navy would call a QAR (I think). I work in our Quality Control Section. My room mate was in the Navy. (we are in the Michigan Nat'l Guard). He was Stationed in NASNI from 1989-1998 and worked on SH-60's.