HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jun 07, 2005, 04:17 AM
Sydney Rose Bay, Australia
Joined Jun 2004
22 Posts
Cary,

Can't wait to see how your 51 flys. I'm still not happy with the size of the horizontal stabiliser and the weird pitch / roll coupling. Your feedback would be great.

Scott

PS. Work started on the workshop today!! Soon I'll have my shed back and the planes out of the house... and the wife will be happy again.
quantumMechanic is offline Find More Posts by quantumMechanic
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 07, 2005, 05:08 AM
Electric Orange
Orange, Australia
Joined Jun 2004
985 Posts
Cary,

Hope you don't get confused about the last post. Should have checked which user was loged in! quantumMechanic - next time you visit you'll have to log yourself out. You don't want me causing havoc with your user name

This time it's ....

scotta
www.electricorange.com.au
scotta is offline Find More Posts by scotta
Old Jun 07, 2005, 11:59 AM
On patrol.
Broomfield, Colorado
Joined Jun 2004
1,287 Posts
I don't have any 9070 props right now so I put a 1047 on it. It draws 9.5A. On the balsapr website they list the following props in the motor specs 9047/7.4V/8.0A/12.8oz and 9070/7.4V/10.3A/12.7oz.

Do you think the 1047 will be too slow?
Cary Reeves is offline Find More Posts by Cary Reeves
Old Jun 07, 2005, 01:07 PM
Glen Rose, Tx
Joined May 2005
491 Posts
Hey Cary, I've seen you fly, and have yet to be impressed. . .

When we get together next time, be sure you have another 20$ worth of props on hand, you always seem to need 'em !

THE ONLY REASON CARY'S PLANE LOOKS SO GOOD IS BECAUSE HE HAS'NT ACTUALLY FLOWN IT YET. . . .

As for mine, I'm waiting on another gearbox. I tried a D and the thing just has too much torque with the reccomended 1370 prop.
helo pilot is offline Find More Posts by helo pilot
Last edited by helo pilot; Jun 07, 2005 at 01:36 PM.
Old Jun 07, 2005, 01:12 PM
Glen Rose, Tx
Joined May 2005
491 Posts
Hey Cary, what motor/gear combo did you decide on?

( By the way, I sprayed for fireants yesterday ! )
Old Jun 07, 2005, 02:51 PM
On patrol.
Broomfield, Colorado
Joined Jun 2004
1,287 Posts
John,

I have both B and C gears we can drop into your box if you don't get a chance to pick some up. I have the C gears in mine and would use a 9070, but as you so kindly pointed out, I'm a bit low on the more popular prop sizes right now. I need to pick up a handful of 9070's and 1080's. That last outing at your flying jungle, err field, just about wiped me out.
Old Jun 07, 2005, 03:04 PM
Glen Rose, Tx
Joined May 2005
491 Posts
I have several 1047's, 947's, and 970's, that I picked up. What about an APC prop? I also have a 970 in an APC. . .

As for mine, I have a little work to do after the failed flight with the bigger prop. Boy would it hover, though. . .

As for the "jungle", if I can land a helicopter in that spot, then you should be able to fly out of that space. . .
Last edited by helo pilot; Jun 07, 2005 at 03:20 PM.
Old Jun 07, 2005, 04:21 PM
On patrol.
Broomfield, Colorado
Joined Jun 2004
1,287 Posts
Here are the markings. Nothing left to do but fly it. Maybe tonight.
Old Jun 07, 2005, 04:32 PM
Glen Rose, Tx
Joined May 2005
491 Posts
Not bad for a guy who said he would probably not be able to get to it until next weekend sometime . . . . .

Don't you have some work you need to be doing?
Old Jun 07, 2005, 05:08 PM
On patrol.
Broomfield, Colorado
Joined Jun 2004
1,287 Posts
One more, I forgot that I had this inordinately handsome pilot figure for the cockpit.

Turns out about a month ago a couple of test pilot friends were over for dinner and brought several flight helmets for the "kids" to play with. Somehow I wound up with one on and got this picture. Had I been thinking I would have gotten four views with each helmet style and I would have been set for cameo pilot graphics.
Old Jun 07, 2005, 08:54 PM
Glen Rose, Tx
Joined May 2005
491 Posts
Hey Cary, your new 'callsign' is 'Hoover', cause you suck . . . . LOL ! ! !
Old Jun 08, 2005, 02:07 AM
On patrol.
Broomfield, Colorado
Joined Jun 2004
1,287 Posts
Maiden

Flew well right off. I didn't notice it being fast like several people have stated but it is very responsive. Seems ideal for combat, not too fast to keep in the box but plenty maneuverable to get on their six. I ran it through my limited reportoire and I am very pleased.

Looks like a winner Scott.

A couple of things I forgot to mention in my build details is that I baked the FFF between flat boards to take out the ripples and sanded all the leading edges and around the tips. I left the trailing edges square. I have no idea whether this helped or hurt. I normally don't worry about the ripples, but on a plane this small and with that flat wing I thought it would help keep things noticeably more precise.

Here are the flight details (no video yet, I have a little footage my 9 and 4 y/o's took but I think I'll wait for some more before posting anything):

1. TRIM: I needed several clicks of DOWN elevator to maintain level flight.

2. LOOPS: inside and outside equally well.

3. INVERTED: I didn't really spend much time testing this out. But during what little time I spent inverted it appeared that the plane flew equally well either way with little to no down pressure to keep it inverted.

4. ROLLS : nicely axial. I can roll from level flight several times before it starts to loose apreciable altitude. They're not perfectly axial, there is a little cork screwing, but very good compared to all of my other planes. With a bit of up before the roll I think it will slow roll. This is the best rolling plane I have. The PCW rolls faster (much faster), but this one is quick enough and much more axial. I estimate 2 rolls per second. Makes Immelman's and split S's a piece of cake ( in theory at least, I'm still a bit clumsy, but the plane has no problems).

5. TURNS: I can't put my finger on it, but the turns seemed different at first; more than just the lack of dihedral. It seems like if you bank a little and then pull up elevator to complete the turn you climb more than you want in the turn. But frankly, after a few flights I forgot about it. Maybe this is the coupling Scott was talking about. But now I don't notice anything. I think I am just rolling into the turn more before pulling through. Anyway, I seem to be able to put/keep it where I want it.

6. SPEED: As I mentioned already, I didn't notice it being fast. It is either flying or not. When it is flying it is at a comfortable pace. It flies at half throttle. A bit more and it seems like you're in the sweet spot. Full throttle gives more authority in the loops and rolls but I don't notice any more speed. There were a few times that I was wishing for more speed but for combat I think it is about right. I am on the C gears and tried 9070, 9050HD, 1047. I was going to try a 1080 but it pulled way too many amps static. So far the 9070 is the winner. I have a couple of APC props to try yet and I may try B gears.

7. RESPONSIVENESS : Very good. I think I am set up for a llittle less than 45 degree throws. I have the exponential set at 50%. Very flyable, yet will change direction NOW if you want it to.

8. GLIDE/LANDING/STALL: What glide? Definately have to fly it right to the ground before chopping power because it glides like a rock as soon as the air speed bleeds down. I think the washout helped. The only time I worried about a stall was when I attempted power off landings. As I slowed for landing it would really get mushy and start rocking and get hard to steer. The good landings were power on to a foot off the ground. I did slow it down at altitude and pull up until it stalled a few times to see what it would do. It would mush, rock, and eventually fall off to the side, but not in a scary way. Not the nice straight ahead stall of the Cub or the AC-47 but no big deal. It gives plenty of warning.

9. COMBAT: Soon I hope . I put on a 20' streamer to see if it would have a noticable affect on flight. I taped it in front of the CG and I trimmed it with two clicks of UP elevator. If flew fine with the streamer. I could get nice round streamer loops that were just short of closing; i.e. I could almost bite my own tail while flying round loops. If I snapped it over, I probaly could.

p.s. helo pilot : No broken props or any real crashes for that matter. I did crack the air scoop during a power off landing that pancaked fairly hard. A swipe of hot glue and all was as new.
Last edited by Cary Reeves; Jun 08, 2005 at 02:21 AM.
Old Jun 08, 2005, 04:30 AM
Electric Orange
Orange, Australia
Joined Jun 2004
985 Posts
Cary,

Thanks for the feed back. Sounds like she flew great and yes you definately need to fly these combat planes in. Different when your use to flying floaters.

And please don't take and slack from Helo. I think he needs you on his tail to shake him up a bit

Scott
scotta is offline Find More Posts by scotta
Old Jun 08, 2005, 08:15 PM
Glen Rose, Tx
Joined May 2005
491 Posts
Ok, now that I have the correct, or at least a more correct, gearbox, I have had the chance to really throw her around a bit.

Speed. . Not blistering, but when coupled with the responsivness of the control's, it can get away from you quickly. I've got B gears and a 0907 prop, and she has the power to launch ALMOST vertically with some really nice, axial rolls on the way up.
When Hoover and I get together, we will have some good video's to post before we tear'em up.

Turns. . I agree with the 'roll coupling' diagnoses. Although I don't notice this unless I'm looking for it. I have not stiffened the wings as I know I need to, so I see ALOT of flex when really cranking around hard. I WILL be adding that very soon. ( Tonight )

Glide/Stall . . I did not add the wash out at the wing tip that Cary did, so it will be interesting to fly his and see if it is truely as bad as he says it is. But, I was able to get mine into my front yard with reasonably stable approach, at an angle only slightly steeper than my normal appraoch. This was done with about 1/4 throttle. as for the stall, it was definatly not as bad as I expected it to be.

This is my first foamie build, so I feel like I'm doing alot of expermenting with radio/battery/servo placements. Now that I'm alot more comfortable with what I'm getting into, I'm ready to buld one, paint it, and have a nice looking plane. . . .

Blue skies . . . John

P.S., Be sure you practice Hoover. You're gonna' need it!
Old Jun 14, 2005, 07:02 PM
On patrol.
Broomfield, Colorado
Joined Jun 2004
1,287 Posts
Flew again today. This plane flies really well. Winds were gusting and it handled it no problem. This time I was using the BP brushed motor (GWS 350ish) with an APC 9x6 prop. It seemed about right; although I won't know for sure until I fly w/o so much wind. Very responsive, nice climb, penetrated the wind o.k., motor didn't get hot. Sounds about right.