HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Apr 09, 2005, 12:06 AM
AMA CD# 5957
Janesville, WI
Joined Jul 2004
280 Posts
I flew my E Orange P51 today in some fairly significant winds and had great time. I could get it to stop in mid air into the wind at 0 AOA, wish I had some video to show it, but I was alone at the park. Anyway, I cut mine from FFF and it's powered with GWS 350 C gear, 9x7 prop, 1320 TP 2s1p. I used a carbon fiber .25" arrow shaft for the spar. Thanks Scott for a nice design, I've been flying it for awhile now and am very happy with it.
Robb is offline Find More Posts by Robb
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 09, 2005, 07:20 AM
Electric Orange
Orange, Australia
Joined Jun 2004
985 Posts
Robb,

"fairly significant winds" !!! I would have loved to see that

Great to hear you are happy with the planes. More on the way when I get time. The new site is progressing a little further each day. I can't wait to get back into designing planes rather than pages and most of all get my new workshop built. It's only a matter of time until the planes get evicted out of the spare bedroom.

Scott
www.electricorange.com.au
scotta is offline Find More Posts by scotta
Old Apr 09, 2005, 07:23 AM
Electric Orange
Orange, Australia
Joined Jun 2004
985 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Waff
Bummer!

Had two very short flights today. The 9x4.7 prop was not as good as the 9x7. The second flight had the 9x7 prop and it flew out pretty stable. Once I made my first turn it seemed to have tip stall and then the tail whipped around. That was all it took and I nosed into the ground. She's pretty much history now.

I think I was over weight (i weighed it at 10.1 oz) and under powered. Not a good combo. It was fun though. Need to save for lipo to get more power and less weight.

Thanks for all you help and the design. I'll revisit this plane when I get a little more experience.

Waff
Waff,

Don't get to discouraged. I to just forked out for lipos and all I can say is that I'm glad I did. 3D planes can now 3D and little combat planes go like the clapers

Scott
Old Apr 09, 2005, 11:54 PM
PA
Joined Nov 2001
20 Posts
I decided to put my gear in Irone's Spitfire first. Scott's Zero is ready to go if/when the Spitfire meets an untimely end. I posted a flight report for Irone's Spitfire in the No Fear thread here:

Spitfire Flight Report
helk0 is offline Find More Posts by helk0
Old Apr 19, 2005, 09:09 PM
jumping trees
keller tx
Joined Dec 2003
317 Posts
cool scott glad to hear about the fw-190 plans. I made my own as i could not wait but, I will probly use yours for my next plane as i destroyed the plans in making the plane. it flys great thow.

Bryan
bgabric is offline Find More Posts by bgabric
Old Apr 25, 2005, 12:38 PM
latinflyer
United States, CA, Milpitas
Joined Dec 2004
747 Posts
P51

Hello group,
I did cut and put together the P51, looks great and people like it, it found the CG, glide test and it glides beatifuly, the only problem that I encounter is when I apply power it rolls to the left and banks like crazy I will say that tip stall right?? well I manage to repair twice until I broke the nose.
I am using a J250 with a 4X4 prop GWS and a two cell 860 lipo, what you guys think it will be problem well I really like it so I am planing to rebuild the nose today and try again, let me know what should I do so I don't keep damaging. I forgot to mention I only aplying 1/2 power, maybe I need to launch will full power??? I need input.

Thank you. Latinflyer.
latinflyer is offline Find More Posts by latinflyer
Old Apr 25, 2005, 01:07 PM
jumping trees
keller tx
Joined Dec 2003
317 Posts
my quess would be
a. Launch at Full Power
and
b.Use a smaller battery say a 340 pack.

I dont think you need that much battery for that power system and with half the battery weight It should fly great.

Bryan
Old Apr 25, 2005, 01:47 PM
latinflyer
United States, CA, Milpitas
Joined Dec 2004
747 Posts
Help

Thank you for the reply I realy apreciated, I will try that.

Latinflyer.
latinflyer is offline Find More Posts by latinflyer
Old Apr 25, 2005, 04:48 PM
jumping trees
keller tx
Joined Dec 2003
317 Posts
anytime hope it helps.

Bryan
Old May 11, 2005, 09:47 PM
this space available
Atlanta, GA
Joined Dec 2004
418 Posts
Got the airframe finished on the P-40, fixing to install motor. Should I use the standard 3 degrees right and down torque offset for the motor mount (GWS 350 geared)?

Joe
Joe_Atlanta is offline Find More Posts by Joe_Atlanta
Old May 24, 2005, 03:43 AM
Joined May 2005
2 Posts
A6m

I have just finished building the A6M ...Seems a bit small ?? But boy does it go !!!I will make it larger next i think and have a working rudder
vectrex is offline Find More Posts by vectrex
Last edited by vectrex; May 24, 2005 at 03:50 AM.
Old May 24, 2005, 04:02 AM
Electric Orange
Orange, Australia
Joined Jun 2004
985 Posts
vectrex,

The size is to suit the formula that Irone was developing. And yes they do move. Glad you liked it. Looks good. Depron?

Scott
Old May 24, 2005, 05:06 AM
Joined May 2005
2 Posts
Yeah its all 6mm Depron.... What motor/battery setup would you suggest for them ? I think i have gone way overboard ??? LOL Shuttle brushless outrunner and 11.1v 1200mah battery ....heavy i know !
vectrex is offline Find More Posts by vectrex
Old May 24, 2005, 10:46 PM
Electric Orange
Orange, Australia
Joined Jun 2004
985 Posts
vectrex,

Original design was for the good old EPS350C-B with a 9x7. Battery selection is always a problem as the battery needs to be large enough to deliver the required current without going over the C rating of the battery. Always a compromise.

Scott
Old Jun 07, 2005, 03:02 AM
On patrol.
Broomfield, Colorado
Joined Jun 2004
1,287 Posts
helo pilot and I got together and cut out a couple of kit's this weekend. Here's my entry. Ready for maiden. I'll add some cockpit art and other graphics after I figure out if it will fly. I tried a couple of suggestions that have been made in the thread including mechanical aileron differential and washout bent into the wing tips.

I also relocated the spar so that it is on the suggested CG. The battery ended up pretty far aft to balance. I made little effort to keep the weight down, using lots of hotglue and paint and yet it still came in nice and light. Also very rigid. Looks like a good design if I can fly it.

Specs:
Balsapr geared motor (350/C/ equivalent ?)
GWS 15A ESC
E-tec 2s 1200mAh 10C
Bluebird servos and receiver
FFF and hotglue construction
AUW 8.4oz

***Smack talk begins***
helo pilot: You may want to save these pictures since after I thrash yours you'll want to copy my winning setup for your rebuild.
Cary Reeves is offline Find More Posts by Cary Reeves
Last edited by Cary Reeves; Jun 07, 2005 at 03:15 AM.