HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Apr 05, 2005, 12:30 AM
AMA CD# 5957
Janesville, WI
Joined Jul 2004
280 Posts
The easiest way to remove tip stall is to add a bit of wash out in your panels. Simply take a heat gun and add some wash out to the tips and you're all set. Just to shed some light, wash out means the leading edge of the wing is lower than the trailing edge, using the CG point as a reference for the twist. This means the inboard part of the wing will stall first and the tip a bit later, giving you more time to correct the airplane's attitude before the wing fully stalls. You MUST round the leading edge with about 1 minute of sanding, it makes a world of difference!

Also, to help alleviate adverse yaw from the lack of rudder, give your a aileron setup a bit of differential and you'll get nice axial rolls. For those who are new to this whole deal, aileron differential means that you need to have more up aileron than down. Offset your servo arms forward for a top of the wing servo installation, and aft for bottom of the wing for mechanical differential. If you're using two aileron servos and a computer radio, you can ususally set up differential from the TX.

I've been flying E-Orange's P-51 for quite awhile now and am very happy with it.
Robb is offline Find More Posts by Robb
Last edited by Robb; Apr 05, 2005 at 12:58 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 05, 2005, 12:47 AM
AMA CD# 5957
Janesville, WI
Joined Jul 2004
280 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by tallflyer
Hard to get in San Diego!

Lowes has to special order it I would love to try it if anyone knows someone in my area that might carry it in stock!

Thats why I use Foamboard!

I can draw on it then cut it out then soak th epaper off while I sleep at night so not a big deal, buy,cut soak today, build tomorrow fly the next day! thats ok with me..

Try going to the "Contractor" section of the Lowe's site. From there you may be able to have a bundle of Blu-Cor delivered, via UPS. Worked for me! A bundle of Blu-Cor = 100 E-Orange planes, or about .35$ per airframe, can't beat that!
Robb is offline Find More Posts by Robb
Old Apr 05, 2005, 09:16 AM
PA
Joined Nov 2001
20 Posts
Irone...I have two of your spitfire's built. One is waiting for the recommended equipment to arrive and the other I figured I'd use as a 'crash test dummy' in an effort to recycle some old equipment. I'm not really trying to redesign the plane, I just hate seeing good equipment laying around not being used! I will post a filght report with the recommended equipment when it's complete.
helk0 is offline Find More Posts by helk0
Old Apr 06, 2005, 07:36 AM
Electric Orange
Orange, Australia
Joined Jun 2004
985 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by helk0
Anyone get to try flying the Electric Orange Zero yet? I have the Electric Orange Zero and Irone's Spitfire built, but I am waiting for the electronics to arrive. I'm debating which one to try first as I will only have electronics to fit into one plane. I'm estimating the RTF weight of the Zero around 7.5 Oz and the Spitfire around 8.1 Oz. Both are very nice models and were fairly quick builds. I was thinking of trying the Zero first, but I was hoping to hear a flight report first. If anyone has any information, let me know. Hopefully I'll be able to post a flight report by the end of the week.
Yep, QuantumMechanic has had a very nicely finished Zero in the air just a few weeks ago. Takes a little more to balance it correctly due to the short nose but flew well.

Scott
scotta is offline Find More Posts by scotta
Old Apr 06, 2005, 07:39 AM
Electric Orange
Orange, Australia
Joined Jun 2004
985 Posts
Guys, Sorry I have not been really active on the thread lately. Been working on the "new site". Yep can't leave anything alone. I'll be spending a while migrating all of the plans and build pages into the new site and I do have a FW-190 partially drawn. So many things to do, so little time....

Scott
www.electricorange.com.au
Old Apr 06, 2005, 01:39 PM
Joined Mar 2005
100 Posts
Well, made my maiden flight with the P51 I made. Did not go so well. I made it out about 50 yards or so but was fighting it the whole way. I'm still somewhat new to this so maybe this plane is just more of a handfull than I am ready for. It acted like it may have been a bit tail heavy.

After I made it out about 50 yards I began to turn. It was somewhat squirly but I was turning. Then all of a sudden, it seemed as though I lost reaction to my control inputs. I don't know if this is what a tip stall is, but it kind of fits the descriptions I've read.

Again, I'm pretty green. I mastered my SlowStick and then I flew my friends delta wing on his trainer while he waited to take over if needed. I did pretty well with that. His plane was much more stable than what I experienced with the P51. His plane is a electrajet by Eflight with a brushless motor.

I did not sustain much damage. A bent prop and the bottom fuse came slightly unglued. So a little glue and a new prop and I'll be ready to try again.

I put the COG at 63 mm behind the furthest leading edge of the wing. For the next flight I may move the battery slightly forward since it seemed to be somewhat tail heavy.

I will probably let my friend take the sticks for flight #2 to see if there is a problem with my assembly or if I am just not quite ready for a plane this responsive yet.

I'll keep ya posted.
Waff

edit - I used the 350c-c motor with a 9x7 prop and a GWS 750 mAH 7 cell battery (4 oz.) I used foam safe CA to glue everything. The bottom fuse is where the glue failed. Not sure if that was from the rough landing, or if the glue was not strong enough for the torque.
Waff is offline Find More Posts by Waff
Last edited by Waff; Apr 06, 2005 at 02:40 PM.
Old Apr 06, 2005, 03:12 PM
PA
Joined Nov 2001
20 Posts
Scott,

First, a BIG thanks for the free plans! I am very impressed with the design quality and ease of building one of your planes. I only have enough gear for one plane, so I think I am going to put the gear in Irone's spitfire first. I haven't been flying much lately so my fingers may be a little rusty. His planes appear to have more wing area which should make it a bit easier to fly. After that I plan on trying the gear in your zero model next. I also made some templates of your P51 design, so that will be another project for down the road. I'll certainly post flight reports when I get them in the air. Thanks for sharing your plans, it is greatly appreciated!

helk
Old Apr 06, 2005, 03:22 PM
PA
Joined Nov 2001
20 Posts
Waff,

I'm no expert, but the 4 oz battery may be an issue. From what I read most are using 2-3 cell Lipolys which probably come in between 1 - 2 oz (2 oz being the heavier 3 cell). I haven't flown mine yet, but I'm shooting for a weight of 8.5 - 9.5 oz RTF. Depending upon the servos, etc. you are probably pushing 11 - 12 oz. That extra weight could be a big issue at these small weights.

helk
Old Apr 06, 2005, 03:48 PM
Salt Lake City
Joined Jul 2003
323 Posts
Waff,
What is your AUW? It seems like it that you have a heavy plane. And on the top of that it was tail heavy too. I made the same plane, and my AUW is 7.5oz. It is a very stable plane and for sure is a rocket; I canít even count the rolls! I am flying mien with a CD-Rom motor, 3cell 11.1V , 700mah. It is one of my most favorite planes to fly. I think your plane is too heavy/under powered.

Saeed
Saeed is offline Find More Posts by Saeed
Old Apr 06, 2005, 04:50 PM
Joined Mar 2005
100 Posts
I'll have to get to a scale and weigh it. It flew like it was heavy. I did balance it at the COG recommended so I don't think it was tail heavy. But it flew like it was. Before I ever flew it I thought it felt heavy. I will try to weigh it and let you know.

Thanks for the feedback,
Waff
Old Apr 06, 2005, 05:55 PM
Electric Orange
Orange, Australia
Joined Jun 2004
985 Posts
Waff,

The 51 is a very reactive airframe. Small wing with large ailerons - read, needs airspeed to fly and best to dial in some expo on the airlerons or you will be twitching all over the sky.

I'd also recommend using at least an 8 cell pack or a 2s lipo pack to give a little more prop speed. The lipo's will be a little less voltage but the wieght difference will make a difference.

Scott
Old Apr 06, 2005, 10:36 PM
Joined Mar 2005
100 Posts
Thanks for the suggestions. Keep in mind that I am pretty green so twitchy hands + reactive airframe = short flight?

I will try again Friday. We'll see what happens. Damage was very minor so it will be ready to go when the winds die down again.

Waff

Here are some pics: You might notice that the Pactra paint I used started to react with the foam. (bummer) It was a quick and dirty paint job, since I did not want to put much effort into it until I see if I can fly the thing.
Last edited by Waff; Apr 06, 2005 at 10:48 PM.
Old Apr 07, 2005, 10:36 PM
Joined Mar 2005
100 Posts
OK,

Wind forcast is good for tomorrow morning. I have convinced myself that it was simply pilot error on my maiden flight. I re-glued the bottom fuse. All looks good again. I did change the prop to a 9x4.7 which lightened the load on the motor, I can hear the motor spinning faster. It wants to leave my hand now when I give it full power while holding it vertical. With the 9x7 prop, it wanted to fall slightly when testing it this way.

It will fly tomorrow. It will be awesome! It won't come down till the battery dumps!

I'm ready!
Waff
Old Apr 08, 2005, 06:42 PM
Electric Orange
Orange, Australia
Joined Jun 2004
985 Posts
Waff,

Best of luck with the re-maiden.

Scott
Old Apr 08, 2005, 11:58 PM
Joined Mar 2005
100 Posts
Bummer!

Had two very short flights today. The 9x4.7 prop was not as good as the 9x7. The second flight had the 9x7 prop and it flew out pretty stable. Once I made my first turn it seemed to have tip stall and then the tail whipped around. That was all it took and I nosed into the ground. She's pretty much history now.

I think I was over weight (i weighed it at 10.1 oz) and under powered. Not a good combo. It was fun though. Need to save for lipo to get more power and less weight.

Thanks for all you help and the design. I'll revisit this plane when I get a little more experience.

Waff