HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Mar 30, 2005, 05:05 PM
United States, CA, San Diego
Joined Jul 2002
6,350 Posts
If your looking for a cool little plane to build and fly checkout my site www.flatfoamflyers.com the zero on my site can be flown using a cheap ISP motor and is a good aileron trainer.
tallflyer is online now Find More Posts by tallflyer
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: New GoPro Hero3+ Black Edition
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 30, 2005, 06:02 PM
jumping trees
keller tx
Joined Dec 2003
317 Posts
I have had the plans for weeks now looks great. However I dont think it is quite the same thing.

Bryan
bgabric is offline Find More Posts by bgabric
Old Mar 30, 2005, 07:48 PM
Joined Jul 2002
6,350 Posts
Im starting another one as we speak the part of the foam is soaking in the bathtub at the moment!

Im going to make it using 5mm foam with a little bigger wing area and the iframe is going to be half the size now like only 3/4 or half and inch on each side.

Im making tracing also so i can cut more if it works out, I will also try and make a pdf file of my rough drawings to.
RCG Plus Member
Old Mar 30, 2005, 07:49 PM
jumping trees
keller tx
Joined Dec 2003
317 Posts
IN THE BATH TUB!!!!!

tell me if you make a fw-190

Bryan
Old Mar 30, 2005, 08:04 PM
Joined Jul 2002
6,350 Posts
Yeah I build my little warbirds using foamboard from Michaels Craft store it has paper on both sides so you trace you patern out then cut it then soak the paper off in the bath tub what you end up with is a good piece of 4mm/5mm depron foam and at 4.99 a sheet you can build three planes for $15.00 cant beat that!
RCG Plus Member
Old Mar 30, 2005, 08:08 PM
jumping trees
keller tx
Joined Dec 2003
317 Posts
....blue foam.

Bryan
Old Mar 30, 2005, 08:18 PM
Joined Jul 2002
6,350 Posts
Hard to get in San Diego!

Lowes has to special order it I would love to try it if anyone knows someone in my area that might carry it in stock!

Thats why I use Foamboard!

I can draw on it then cut it out then soak th epaper off while I sleep at night so not a big deal, buy,cut soak today, build tomorrow fly the next day! thats ok with me..
RCG Plus Member
Old Mar 30, 2005, 08:20 PM
Joined Mar 2005
100 Posts
Tallflyer,

How does the cheap isp motor compare to the gws 400 in weight & power? Those are some nice looking planes. I already have the gws 400 motor so I would like to use that if it is not too powerfull or too heavy.

What do you think?

Thanks,
Waff
Waff is offline Find More Posts by Waff
Old Mar 30, 2005, 08:23 PM
jumping trees
keller tx
Joined Dec 2003
317 Posts
lol its like a weedeater to a v8 dude.

Bryan
Old Mar 30, 2005, 08:31 PM
Joined Mar 2005
100 Posts
OK,

Comming from a background of Brushless EMaxx RC truck that weighs 13 pounds, I can certainly appreciate wanting the power. But keeping things light weight is new to me. So is the 400 too much weight?

Waff
Waff is offline Find More Posts by Waff
Old Mar 30, 2005, 08:44 PM
jumping trees
keller tx
Joined Dec 2003
317 Posts
short anser yes.

Bryan
Old Mar 30, 2005, 08:47 PM
jumping trees
keller tx
Joined Dec 2003
317 Posts
long anser. the brollme is with the weight the wings tend to...bend and...snap and if thay dont its very hard to fly and much harder to land. if you are talking about the geared 400 say a "d" drive then i would suggest a gws zero as the extra weight helps to balance the plane. if your talking about a direct drive then go with the foamfly.com xbow. nothing is cooler in the air.

Bryan
Old Apr 04, 2005, 07:12 AM
PA
Joined Nov 2001
20 Posts
Anyone get to try flying the Electric Orange Zero yet? I have the Electric Orange Zero and Irone's Spitfire built, but I am waiting for the electronics to arrive. I'm debating which one to try first as I will only have electronics to fit into one plane. I'm estimating the RTF weight of the Zero around 7.5 Oz and the Spitfire around 8.1 Oz. Both are very nice models and were fairly quick builds. I was thinking of trying the Zero first, but I was hoping to hear a flight report first. If anyone has any information, let me know. Hopefully I'll be able to post a flight report by the end of the week.
helk0 is offline Find More Posts by helk0
Old Apr 04, 2005, 07:26 AM
PA
Joined Nov 2001
20 Posts
I had some speed 400 equipment from an old Piper Cub and decided to try it in one of Irone's Spitfires. The weight was way too much. The RTF weight came in around 19 oz! I was also using larger servos, esc, receiver, and NIMH batteries. So, you may be able to trim that weight down quite a bit. It didn't look promising, but I tried to fly it anyway. The wing loading was just way too high and it sort of glided to a 'controlled crash'. Of course, I couldn't stop there and had to keep trying until I broke the plane in half! I also may have been having an ESC problem because the motor didn't seem to provide enough thrust for a speed 400 motor. I may try the speed 400 equipment again, but I will modify the plane so it has a larger wing area first.
helk0 is offline Find More Posts by helk0
Old Apr 04, 2005, 08:23 PM
Arlington, Texas
Joined Mar 2004
335 Posts
Helko........Use only the recommended motors, 700 to 900ma lipos with micro servos, reciever, etc. in the TopGun planes. I promise you will not be dissapointed with the results. I have noted by the flight tests on Scotta's planes that they all tend to tip stall. I don't have any idea at this time what causes that problem. The TopGun planes do not display any signs of tip stalling. I have never seen an email that mentioned any flight problems at all. When stalled they just nose down and pick up airspeed. Instead of re-designing the TopGun plane, just build it as described on the CD.

TopGun Combat Planes
http://members.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI...serid=brodiejf
irone is offline Find More Posts by irone