SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Jan 25, 2005, 04:18 PM
npm
Portland OR
Joined Jan 2003
86 Posts
How to make a tape hinge

I've been following the brushless Stryker saga for some time. In response to a question about how to make a tape hinge I made this sketch and attached it in a reply. I was requested to start a new thread in the beginner area and ask the moderator to make it a sticky. Here it is, moderator if you thinks it's worth a sticky please do so.
npm is offline Find More Posts by npm
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 25, 2005, 04:25 PM
Joined Dec 2004
74 Posts
great job
tjeatme is offline Find More Posts by tjeatme
Old Jan 25, 2005, 05:05 PM
Canal Fulton, Ohio
Joined Jun 2003
544 Posts
Is it really necessary to have the bottom tape? The reason I am asking is when I built my first planes I didn’t realize you need a bottom piece of tape. Just recently this surfaced in the instructions for a blue foamie plane I built. Sense I have not done it in the past I skipped this step without any problems resulting from doing so. I try to do the lighter is better thing when I build plus it seemed to me that the control surfaces wouldn’t flex as freely.

I have built the Slow Stick, E-Starter, Mountain Models Dandy GT and Sport, Live Wire, a wing and most recently a blue foamie. I only applied tape to the top surface on the elevator and ailerons and one side of the rudder. With all the flying and crashing I have not had any problems with the control surfaces coming loose.

Dick
Stark Flyer is offline Find More Posts by Stark Flyer
Old Jan 25, 2005, 05:15 PM
npm
Portland OR
Joined Jan 2003
86 Posts
Over the long haul or under high stress I'd be worried about the tape peeling loose if it wasn't on both sides. If weight is a big issue you don't need to put tape along the entire bottom but could use just a small piece at each end.

In any case I always say if what's working isn't broken there is no need to fix it, so stick with what's working. No pun intended.
npm is offline Find More Posts by npm
Old Jan 25, 2005, 06:19 PM
Rat
Come get me if you can
Rats nest Grafton ND
Joined Aug 2004
2,249 Posts
I do not like to add the extra peice of tape since it makes the joint stiffer which would pull more power for the servo to move it.
Rat is offline Find More Posts by Rat
Old Jan 25, 2005, 07:03 PM
United States, PA, Beaver
Joined Sep 2001
3,517 Posts
Great Pic!! .... A tip: In the 2nd drawing, when folding the surface over, I add a piece of thin card stock (Cereal box) between the 2 surfaces. This keeps enough of a gap that there is no binding.
rcav8r2 is offline Find More Posts by rcav8r2
Old Jan 25, 2005, 08:18 PM
Shut up and FLY!!!!!
Philadelphia, PA__ Old people hate guitar solos.....I WIN!
Joined Jan 2005
1,068 Posts
I did the same exact hinge mod for my Black Maxx 3 ch conversion last week before even seeing this thread.....
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=318111
.GREAT INFO I didn't even think of posting it up in the Beginner thread SHAME ON ME

I left a 1 1/2 mm gap then C/A'd a 3 mm piece of toothpick at both ends for support to each ruddervator to prevent the tape from folding into the wing that would cause a crease in the tape and causing "aerodynamic disruptus". This, of course, would ONLY apply to the rubberband/ fishing line setup (like the Aerobird) and NOT a pushrod setup but I figure this would be helpful for those who might want to do this instead.
Ibanezjimjim666 is offline Find More Posts by Ibanezjimjim666
Old Jan 25, 2005, 08:26 PM
Cheapskate freeloader!
Orebro, Sweden
Joined Oct 2002
3,155 Posts
Putting the tape on both the upper and lower surface is useful in more ways than just in flight. A single layer of tape can be pulled loose by handling the plane (so called hangar rash). On foamies this often results in parts of foam sticking to the tape, making it harder to put the surface back. And if it starts to come off without you noticing it, the controlsurface could very well come off in flight. On covered planes, it often results in the covering tearing loose from the wood, and itīs not certain that there will be glue on the back of the covering to reattach it, since small amounts of wooden fibres often parts together with the coveringmaterial.
Better to be safe than sorry.

Two layers of tape will of corse be stiffer than one layer. But if you use the right tape the stiffness of one layer is next to nothing, and nothing times two is still nothing!

I use a clear packing tape that pretty much sticks to butter, and is very resistant to tear as long as there is no rips in it. It has served me well on everything from E-Gliders to slowflyers, with planes such as my G-Ride in between.

Anders O
Zeroaltitude is offline Find More Posts by Zeroaltitude
Old Jan 26, 2005, 07:05 AM
Canal Fulton, Ohio
Joined Jun 2003
544 Posts
Thanks for all the different views. I may try two pieces the next time I build a plane. Doesn't hurt to try things.

NPM, thanks for the good set of instructions. I also like the card stock spacer idea.

Dick
Stark Flyer is offline Find More Posts by Stark Flyer
Old Jan 27, 2005, 06:51 AM
Rat
Come get me if you can
Rats nest Grafton ND
Joined Aug 2004
2,249 Posts
All the models I see with two peices of tape. the bottom peice is cut so it is not really doing anything with the joint itself.
Rat is offline Find More Posts by Rat
Old Jan 27, 2005, 07:02 AM
Letchworth, Great Britain (UK)
Joined Jul 2004
11,593 Posts
Two pieces has got to be safer than one, whichever way you look at it.

On many of my models I use covering film instead of tape. Never had a failure yet, though in routine maintenance I sometimes feel the need to run over them with an iron just to make sure.
abenn is online now Find More Posts by abenn
Old Jan 27, 2005, 03:22 PM
Cheapskate freeloader!
Orebro, Sweden
Joined Oct 2002
3,155 Posts
Rat, I really donīt understand what you meen? But then, I donīt know what models youīve seen either!

Take a look at npmīs graphics. The idea is that the two strips of tape should meet in the small gap between the wing/stabiliser and the aileron/rudder/elevator. That makes for an almost bind free hingeline (as long as the line is straight). What adding an extra piece of tape on the underside does is to make sure that the controlsurface cant be torn off with force from any side.
With tape on just the upper surface, even a small amount of force (yes, sometimes even the force of airflow) can tear (lift off) the tape, and usually some of the foam (or coveringmaterial if itīs a built up wing) from the wing. Accidentally banging the wing or tail of the model against something while handling it, or crashing, will also be likely to cause the tape to tear off the surface itīs attached to. With tape on both the upper and lower surface, that wonīt happen, AT ALL, it CAN`T. The only way for it to tear free is to rip the tape strips in half along the hingeline, and that takes a LOT more force.

This is a bit like discussing whether it is really neccessary to use the servoscrews to hold the servoarms in place on light and slow models. Sure, chances are that youīll be perfectly allright without the screws. The arms usually fit very snugly on the servoshaft, so as long as there are no great vibrations, and no great forces acting on the servoarm from the controlsurfaces, youīre likely to get away with it. Iīve tried it when Iīve lost screws at the field, with no problems at all. Still, I would definitely advice against it. Itīs safer to use the screws, and itīs safer to use two layers of tape. It wonīt add any significant amount of wheight, it wonīt add any significant amount of force needed to operate the controlsurface, and itīs very easy to do if you follow npmīs graphics. Simple as that!

Anders O
Zeroaltitude is offline Find More Posts by Zeroaltitude