HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 25, 2005, 11:39 AM
Nashville, TN
Joined Dec 2003
70 Posts
Hangar 9 Miss America/AXI Build

I just got my Hangar 9 Miss America P-51 in this week; I am going to convert it to electric. (Naturally it is electric, I am the Sales Manager for Hobby Lobby International ). I will be powering it with the AXI 4130/20 motor and using a 10S3P Thunder Power Lipo pack. This setup swings an APC 15x10 electric prop at 8,300 RPM for an (ecalc) estimated 92 MPH top end. It should have almost unlimited vertical, and fly for almost 20 minutes at cruise. I will be using all Hitec servo's (HS-635's for all control surfaces, and HS-075 for the retracts). Pictures soon to come!

Randy Green
Hobby Lobby International
Sales Manager
615-373-1444 ext 209
randy.green@hobby-lobby.com
TheGreatRandini is offline Find More Posts by TheGreatRandini
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 25, 2005, 01:10 PM
Involuntary Beta Tester
Joined Jan 2002
8,288 Posts
This should be a good comparison with the 4130/16 6s configurations that have preceeded you. Now if Kirby would ever fly his B50 11XL , 6s powered Miss America we'd have even a better comparison

Kelvin
kelvin is offline Find More Posts by kelvin
Old Jan 25, 2005, 01:16 PM
Account closed
Joined Oct 2002
35,016 Posts
I was just talking to Greg from MAXX PRODUCTS and we were just discussing how people over power almost everything out there for unlimited vertical and end up using super expensive Li-POLYs setups for this purpose to acquire this kind of performance.

Really, I am waiting to see someone setup something that can fly scale and perhaps a little extra power, say 15% - 20 % and not unlimited vertical since most of us, myself particularly don't have unlimited funds for 10S3P !
guapoman2000 is offline Find More Posts by guapoman2000
Old Jan 25, 2005, 01:44 PM
Nashville, TN
Joined Dec 2003
70 Posts
The build has been straight forward so far, not varying from the standard instructions until I got to the firewall. There I used 5/8" dia. dowels and center drilled them to accept 8-32 bolts for the motor mount stand-offs. I will be posting pictures of the motor mounts before and after assembly. I had to fill in two existing holes in the firewall to mount the electric motor (see pictures). I am very excited about getting this plane up and flying, it should make its maiden at SEFF in April.
Last edited by TheGreatRandini; Jan 25, 2005 at 01:57 PM.
Old Jan 25, 2005, 01:51 PM
Account closed
Joined Oct 2002
35,016 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGreatRandini
The build has been straight forward so far, not varying from the standard instructions until I got to the firewall. There I used 5/8" dia. dowels and center drilled them to accept 8-32 bolts for the motor mount stand-offs. I will be posting pictures of the motor mounts before and after assembly. I had to fill in two existing holes in the firewall to mount the electric motor (see pictures). I am very excited about getting this plane up and flying, it should make its maiden at SEFF in April.
I am glad to see this project in motion but, this is the reason many here in Orlando, Florida don't go to these since you see many models converted using the largest most powerful and expensive motors with lots of Li-POLYs in series and parallel that you end up with a package deal short of a heart attack should something go wrong.

Wish you the best but, it seems that one AXI motor mount that cost $25.00 would be a prelude to even more $$$ on the actual power setups and observing your company's web site does not disappoint with the prices....

Your company has a wide selection of models and Power systems, just hope one day you get the bug of affordable and at the sametime effective....a little imagination goes a long way in the $$$

Okay, I said enough so, knock your socks off, assuming you have them on.

Carlos
Old Jan 25, 2005, 05:53 PM
Recruiter - 60 Amp Club
Rutherfordton, North Carolina, United States
Joined Apr 2001
5,941 Posts
Great project Randy ! I'll be looking forward to seeing it at SEFF.
Ed
Ed Lyerly is offline Find More Posts by Ed Lyerly
Old Jan 25, 2005, 06:03 PM
Recruiter - 60 Amp Club
Joined Apr 2001
5,941 Posts
[QUOTE=guapoman2000]I am glad to see this project in motion but, this is the reason many here in Orlando, Florida don't go to these since you see many models converted using the largest most powerful and expensive motors with lots of Li-POLYs in series and parallel that you end up with a package deal short of a heart attack should something go wrong.
guapoman2000,
That's the very reason many of us go to events like SEFF. You can learn what works ....and what doesn't ...without spending a dime. You see the best pilots flying the latest planes and equipment. It gives you a very clear comparison with your own efforts to date and options to consider for the future.
Ed
Last edited by Ed Lyerly; Jan 25, 2005 at 06:38 PM.
Old Jan 25, 2005, 06:40 PM
Account closed
Joined Oct 2002
35,016 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed Lyerly
That's the very reason many of us go to events like SEFF. You can learn what works ....and what doesn't ...without spending a dime. You see the best pilots flying the latest planes and equipment. It gives you a very clear comparison with your own efforts to date and options to consider for the future.
Ed
Ed,

Yes, but these over powered setups get to be the same old story....every other vendor is trying to do the other and at times the setups are not really what the normal Joe will fly every Sunday nor could afford.

I am all for learning and I would even tolerate an Expensive Brushless with a mild expensive Li-POLY but, when it is for "Almost Unlimited Vertical" then, anyone can slap on a Large, Powerful Brushless and throw a bunch of Li-POLYs and make a fantastic very powerful setup without really trying to find out what really was adaquate to fly the model scale with just a little more...

Carlos
Old Jan 25, 2005, 06:53 PM
Brunswick, Ohio
Joined Aug 2003
5,736 Posts
Great project! Can't wait to see the video!!

Jim
BrunswickOH is offline Find More Posts by BrunswickOH
Old Jan 25, 2005, 07:00 PM
Recruiter - 60 Amp Club
Joined Apr 2001
5,941 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by guapoman2000
Ed,
Yes, but these over powered setups get to be the same old story....every other vendor is trying to do the other and at times the setups are not really what the normal Joe will fly every Sunday nor could afford.
Carlos
Yes Carlos, the various vendors will be there with their "latest and greatest" stuff.....but.....there will be literally hundreds of average E flight enthusiasts (like you and me) .... each with several planes. You will see large and small, powered by brushless and brushed motors, with Nicad, NiMH, and Lipo batteries. You can see the planes fly and talk with the people who built them and get lots of great ideas to incorporate into your own future projects.....depending on what your budget or conscience will allow .
Ed
Old Jan 25, 2005, 07:43 PM
Use the 4S Luke
USA, TX, Euless
Joined Aug 2003
9,344 Posts
I guess you've seen the thread:
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=256745
It basically ends shortly after the maiden of my H9 Miss America.
The 4130/16 on 6S and an APCE 16X12 flys very well. I can fly for about 10-12 min and it has been radared at >80mph. Plenty fast enough.
Sean Plummer did the large H9 mustang for Jason Schulman who flew it at SEFF last year. They radared it at 120mph or so. There's a thread here somewhere.
feathermerchant is offline Find More Posts by feathermerchant
Old Jan 25, 2005, 08:00 PM
United States, GA, Dublin
Joined Feb 2004
314 Posts
Maybe we could compare the two.

Randy, you know that I have the "Marie" model that I converted with the 4130/16 with a 6s2p. I could take it up to SEFF and we could compare the performances of the two.

Feathermerchant, thanks for linking that thread. Many of my flying buddies that look at this site really complimented that thread on all of the great information that came from there.

By the way Randy, the Skylark that you sold me is flying great.

Thanks,,,,,,,,

Longarm (Marshall)
Longarm is offline Find More Posts by Longarm
Old Jan 25, 2005, 11:19 PM
Use the 4S Luke
USA, TX, Euless
Joined Aug 2003
9,344 Posts
Longarm - See you at SEFF!
The MA will have a new firewall by then.
Stupid pilot tricks.
feathermerchant is offline Find More Posts by feathermerchant
Old Jan 26, 2005, 09:11 AM
Jeff Carr
Ft. Mill SC / Charlotte NC
Joined Mar 2001
2,713 Posts
Hi Randy

Nice project. I do have a question for you. I too have a 4130/20 and its a different color. Has there been any additional changes

Jeff
Goinav8n is offline Find More Posts by Goinav8n
Old Jan 26, 2005, 10:00 AM
Nashville, TN
Joined Dec 2003
70 Posts
Thanks for all the kind words, Hi Longarm (I did not know who you were by that name) great to hear from you, I may have my Skylark ready by SEFF. Goinav8n, the blue motor is exactly the same as the gold ones, I don't know why we got a few of them in blue. Side by side comparisons are great and sounds like fun! I will have plenty of planes with me at SEFF, I will even have a rubber powered plane for those of you who are into that. See not all of my planes are the cutting edge lipo powered monsters! Ed, thanks for all the great advice on other threads, posting ecalc pages really helps everyone understand more about the electric side of this hobby, keep up the great work! All, please let me know if I can help you with anything, it is a great time to be in this hobby.

More pictures to come! Video soon after the maiden flight!

Randy Green
Hobby Lobby International
Sales Manager
615-373-1444 ext 209
randy.green@hobby-lobby.com