SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Jan 24, 2005, 02:10 PM
Stockholm Bromma, Sweden
Joined Mar 2000
141 Posts
Discussion
Hansa Brandenburg and Heinkel floatplanes

I was at the Vanta museum at Helsinki airport, Finland a couple of years ago looking for documentation of my finnish marked Balsacraft Blenheim.

There I found a Hansa Brandenburg W29 floatplane and took some pictures. The museum is very crowded so it is hard to take good photos but as Kuni and Terry seams interested in this type I will show them anyhow.

As many others here I am a waterplane nut. A couple of years ago I designed and built a Heinkel He5T floatplane to a scale of 1/10, span around 66 inches. The He5 was designed by Ernst Heinkel who also was the designer of the earlier Hansa Brandenburg floatplanes. After the first world war Heinkel was working in Sweden as a designer for an earlier boat yard now building floatplanes. After he left for germany again Sweden built several Heinkel floatplanes with a license. In Sweden they was always called Hansa after the first Heinkel designs. My model is of a Bristol Hansa. The origanal was powered by a Bristol Jupiter radial engine. I found one a the Technical Museum in Stockholm and made a replica.

Christer
Haninge MFC, Sweden
Christer Lagerstedt is offline Find More Posts by Christer Lagerstedt
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 24, 2005, 09:29 PM
The Hun in the Sun
Canada, BC, Comox
Joined Nov 2003
7,474 Posts
A very nice model of an airplane we don't get to see very often. It's great to see these rare types flying. But, is that a 4-stroke exhaust I see? Shame!
vonJaerschky is offline Find More Posts by vonJaerschky
Old Jan 25, 2005, 01:20 AM
H2OFLY
Portland Oregon USA
Joined Feb 2000
2,509 Posts
Christer,

I have followed your threads about your airplanes, and know that you love water planes as much as I do. I wish I had more time to build...one day, I want to build an 80-inch Hansa W-29.

Did you take other pictures of the W-29? My greatest frustration is with the forest of struts under the airplane, connecting to the floats. I think I can count 18...but don't have any detail.

Best regards,

Terry
temacc is offline Find More Posts by temacc
Old Jan 25, 2005, 02:33 AM
New Zealand, Otago, Harwood
Joined Sep 2004
2,406 Posts
There was a 62" span version (for a .48FS) given away as a free Plan over two issues of R/C Scale Aircraft Feb thru May 1991
Kiwi is offline Find More Posts by Kiwi
Old Jan 25, 2005, 02:35 AM
Stockholm Bromma, Sweden
Joined Mar 2000
141 Posts
von Jaersky
Yes my Hansa is powered by a .50 4-stroke. It was built 20 years ago and I had not discovered electric flight then. However I still build a IC powered model now and then. I love my 5-cylinder Saito radial. One of my latest model is a 7 feet span electric AN-2.

Terry
Unfortunately I have no more pictures of the W-29. The Swedish Hansa´s used the same type of floats and struts. I was not that hard to do. Only 16 struts plus the transverse booms. I used a combination of music wire, carbon tube and ball links. Can send details later if you need.

I am using the original undercambered airfoil. The tail is a bit small. Must fly carefully not to hang down the tail in turns. I use a lot of rudder.

Christer
Haninge MFC, Sweden
Christer Lagerstedt is offline Find More Posts by Christer Lagerstedt
Old Jan 25, 2005, 06:33 PM
D.G.B.
Southington, Connecticut, United States
Joined Jun 2000
2,952 Posts
cleveland model plans offer this plane.Looks like free flight plan blown up.But good to work from.Stay dry,stefanP
KOMET 44 is offline Find More Posts by KOMET 44
Old Jan 25, 2005, 06:58 PM
H2OFLY
Portland Oregon USA
Joined Feb 2000
2,509 Posts
Assuming we're discussing H-B 29 plans: Ralph Beck some 15 (?) years ago drew up the best set of plans I had ever seen - although Palmer plans look nearly as detailed and complete. I had a vellum set of the Beck plans...and in a move, they were lost. But one can still get them, if one wants a larger model (80 inch span)

Christer: I was counting the spreader bars betweent he floats ("transverse booms"?) as two of that forest of sticks. And yes, I would certainly appreciate several pictures of your floats, struts, and how you attached them. Would you please email them to me at tmcgill@reachone.com ? Much appreciation.

Terry
temacc is offline Find More Posts by temacc
Old Apr 11, 2009, 10:29 AM
Forres Kinloss, Great Britain (UK)
Joined Apr 2003
259 Posts
heinkel he5

hi Traplet plans in the UK do a good He5 set of plans.

gordon.
Gordon1 is offline Find More Posts by Gordon1
Old Apr 11, 2009, 10:50 AM
Joined Nov 2005
4,404 Posts
Nice to know that others are interested in these unique planes .

Here is mine , just built , not maidened yet ( weather ) it is 1/12 scale and built from a 3 view drawing with reference to pictures found on the net .

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...961371&page=21
lake flyer is offline Find More Posts by lake flyer