HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jul 21, 2001, 11:59 PM
Ron
Chilliwack B.C. Canada
Joined Nov 1999
1,318 Posts
DR 1 First flights

For those interested........The big DR 1 had three flights this evening out in my
" back yard " NO tendency to ground loop, NO tendency to " nose over " on landing. The first flight, it was off the ground before anyone realised what was going on. After a few circuits, an uneventful landing, and some minor trim adjustments, and a CG adjustment.
Second flight....Off the ground very quickly
about 30 ft or so. now it flew reasonably well, and low slow passes about 15 ft. off the runway at 10 or 15 mph. were the order of the day. Next some " high speed" passes
20 to 25 mph. then up for some stall turns,
a couple of loops, and chandelles. then another uneventful landing.
Third flight, off the ground at about 15 mph. ( I can jog faster than takeoff speed ) and I don't mean a fast jog either.
Up for some more fun. It climbs like a monkey going up a tree. If you have ever seen WW1 movies of these planes coming in to land, sort of darting from side to side as they come down towards the runway, then you know exactly what it looked like coming in to land. All in all, it looks like a successful project. Astro 40 on a superbox, 18 cells 24 X 10 prop spinning at 2800 RPM.
9 pounds on the dot. WHOOPEEEEE ! VBG !
Ron is offline Find More Posts by Ron
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 22, 2001, 03:03 AM
Canada, BC, Abbotsford
Joined Mar 1999
1,613 Posts
This beauty is AMAZING! The 5 or 6 of us at the field for the maiden flight all were grinning like idiots and applauding after the first flight. As Ron said, takeoff caught everyone by surprise, it almost levitates! Magnificent presence in the air, great sound from the huge prop, and smoooooth rollouts, what more could he ask for? I'm inspired, gotta start cutting wood for my big D VII asap.
Brad.
Brad Trent is offline Find More Posts by Brad Trent
Old Jul 22, 2001, 08:42 AM
Bellport, NY, USA
Joined Apr 2000
1,219 Posts
Hi Ron...

What's the wing span? Did you design it or is it from a kit? What capacity cells are you using and what kind of duration are you getting?

Thanks,

Larry
Larry @ SR is offline Find More Posts by Larry @ SR
Old Jul 22, 2001, 08:53 AM
Rhinebeck CD-99,00,01,02
New Bern, NC
Joined Mar 2001
2,993 Posts
Ron, I sure would like to see this plane. Is it a scale paint job. I am the Contest Director for the Rhinebeck Jamboree, and we would love to have you bring the DR I to fly with us on Sept 8 / 9 this year in Rhinebeck NY. We have been getting 4 to 5 e-powered scale models coming to our fly-in the last couple of years. Is your model from a kit (which one) or is it scratch built. Do you have any pictures you can post. I have been flying the little (28") Fokker DR-I from Hobby Lobby for the last 2 years and love it. I now have over 100 flights on mine. Tom Smith, CD, Rhinebeck Jamboree
Tom Smith is offline Find More Posts by Tom Smith
Old Jul 22, 2001, 11:25 AM
Lynnwood, WA USA
Joined Jan 2000
547 Posts
Well Brad, now that the 4* is just about done looks like I need to get back to the SE-5A. Is anyone going to be able to post pictures of the DR 1?

Congratulations Ron.

MMGM
MMGM is offline Find More Posts by MMGM
Old Jul 22, 2001, 03:05 PM
Canada, BC, Abbotsford
Joined Mar 1999
1,613 Posts
There are links posted to some pre-flight photos earlier in this forum, at www.ezonemag.com/disc/Forum4/HTML/000794.html The plane is scratch built from 3 views, photos, and drawings. The colour scheme is one occasionally flown by the Red Baron, red, O.D., and light blue, in my opinion more effective than the usual all-red Von Richtoffen plane. This scheme is shown on pages 6-7 of "The Military Propeller Aircraft Guide", edited by David Donald, ISBN 1-897884-50-8. Markings, trim, and guns were not yet on the plane for test flying, and Ron used the 6" dia. wheels from his Eindekker, since the larger ones for the DR I had not yet been finished. The 6" wheels looked positively tiny on the huge airframe! Like the forgetful old f**t that I am, I forgot both my video and still cameras, so can't provide any "first flight" visuals. I'm sure that many photos will soon be published for all to see, as this beauty becomes deservedly famous.

The 3 flights were all between 3 and 5 min. last night, using old 1700 mah Sanyos, and at the end of the 5 min. jaunt, which included scale aerobatics, power was just about gone. Some nice new 3000 mah Nimh should see him doing 8 to 10 min. sorties.
Brad.
Brad Trent is offline Find More Posts by Brad Trent
Old Jul 22, 2001, 07:10 PM
Oak Harbor, Washington, United States
Joined Jan 2001
1,183 Posts
Congratulations Ron, really looking forward to seeing this one. I just knew it was going to fly nice though.

Norm
Norm is offline Find More Posts by Norm
Old Jul 23, 2001, 12:01 AM
Ron
Chilliwack B.C. Canada
Joined Nov 1999
1,318 Posts
Larry, this plane is from photos that were
given to me by Brad. He knows where they came from better than me, hence the information he posted above.
wing span is 86" and The cells are 18 old 1700 Scr. I will be using 3000 Panasonics when I can obtain them. Color scheme is pretty much scale. Duration with scale type
" aerobatics " is around 5 min. We tried to time it three times, two different people,at the same time, but everyone was so enthralled with the plane and how it flew that they forgot to stop the timers when it landed.
We must have looked like a bunch of dummies out there. I wasn't concerned with time aloft, as it just was great to see it fly so well after all the work. I will get pics in the air soon for you.
Old Jul 23, 2001, 09:42 AM
Bellport, NY, USA
Joined Apr 2000
1,219 Posts
Hi Ron...

It's a great project. You should feel really good about it.

A friend of mine is flying the Flair kit gas. It flies great. I've always had a soft spot for the Dr1.

Thanks,

Larry
Larry @ SR is offline Find More Posts by Larry @ SR
Old Jul 23, 2001, 09:07 PM
Ron
Chilliwack B.C. Canada
Joined Nov 1999
1,318 Posts
I would reccommend this model to any one, because if you can build it, you definitely can fly it. Needs lots of rudder and opposite ailerons in the turns. Other than that I think it's pretty much a kite to fly.
Old Jul 25, 2001, 07:40 PM
D.G.B.
Southington, Connecticut, United States
Joined Jun 2000
2,951 Posts
Ron,When you get done having fun,Can you give the spec's on the wood you used? like rib thickness,was the fusaloge all built up like the original with longorons? what was the covering?Any plywood used? thanxs stefanP
KOMET 44 is offline Find More Posts by KOMET 44
Old Jul 25, 2001, 09:34 PM
I broke it
USA, NC, Clayton
Joined Feb 2001
5,717 Posts
Ron,

Just curious, what did you end up doing about the wheels? Congrads on a successfull
dr-1...makes me want to get back to work on one of mine!!!

later,
David
David Hogue is offline Find More Posts by David Hogue
RCG Plus Member
Old Jul 27, 2001, 08:30 AM
Ron
Chilliwack B.C. Canada
Joined Nov 1999
1,318 Posts
Stephan. Fuse was built up of 3/16 sticks. Shape was obtained by streching covering over the framework. There is a little 1/16 sheeting between the wings. end grain to stop crushing tail is built up from 1/16 and 3/16 sticks. it is hollow . like the oroginal and the whole tail surface( rudder horizontal stab ) weight is 6 ounces
Wings are built from 1/16 and 3/16, and 3/32. The spar is 3/32 one piece, made into 1/2 D tube. ribs are 1/16 with cap strips. LE and TE are built up from 3/16 sheeting on the leading edge is 1/16 contest balsa. Top wing weighs15 ounces, mid wing, 11, and the bottom 9. LG weighs 12 ounces,
fuse weighs 21 ounces. add radio, flight batteries, geared astro 40 prop etc, and the weight climbs to 144 1/2 ounces. ( 9 pounds 1/2 ounce) Lg was made from 3/32 and 5/32 wire. guns were made from balsa and monocote tubes. I had lots left over.
The wing on the u/c is built up from 1/16 balsa ribs, and 3/16 LE and TE. Cabane struts are 3/16 x 3/8 basswood. The monocote is a structural part of the plane. The cowl is fibreglas. from a plug I made from some scrap foam. The only difficulty building the plane, was its sheer size, as my shop is 10X12 and I have about 10 other models in there, all on the bigger side. Also, you have to be very careful handling the model until it is covered, as it is very delicate till then. Once it is covered though, it becomes quite strong, and will withstand a surprising amount of abuse.
Plywood 3/32 aircraft type was used only in strips where the landing gear was screwed on, and there are a couple of plywood gussets on the motor mount. I didn't use any on the " firewall" as there isn't one.
I used 2 rolls sky blue, 2 rolls red, and 2 rolls olive drab. I am hoping to have the detailing ( crosses etc. ) finished in the very near future, and then its off in search of a " new " WW1 project. Oh yes about the 10 cell Atomic force power system. I still think that there would be enough power, but balance ( C/G ) would be an interesting
proposition. It is now balanced perfectly with the 18 cells right up in the cowl.
Maybe I could fill the tail section with helium ?
Old Jul 27, 2001, 11:11 PM
I broke it
USA, NC, Clayton
Joined Feb 2001
5,717 Posts
Ron,

How'd you end up doing the wheels?

Later,
David
David Hogue is offline Find More Posts by David Hogue
RCG Plus Member
Old Jul 28, 2001, 12:23 AM
D.G.B.
Southington, Connecticut, United States
Joined Jun 2000
2,951 Posts
Ron i give you a double thumbs up!!!!!!!!!! this sounds so nice.i want to start on the Ziroli Dr.1 this winter.And yes i know about those sticks being brittle and breaking.i am finishing a Bristol M1 mono plane and the whole section behind the wing saddle is 3/16 stringers. again thanxs for your time.HEY CAN SOMEONE BRING RON OUT TO RHINEBECK IN SEPTEMBER PLEASE!!!!!!! stefanP
KOMET 44 is offline Find More Posts by KOMET 44