HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Mar 12, 2002, 11:13 PM
Leave me alone!
Kamloops, BC, Canada
Joined Feb 2002
15,106 Posts
what does depron and/or fan fold foam look like?

I went into my local walmart and when I mentioned "depron", "fan-fold foam", "blue foam", "pink foam", they acted like I was talking swahili.
"We have foam for putting on a matress" Duh, no thanks.
I went into Michael's (craft store) and they had some stuff that was 20cm by 30cm (approx 1.5 ft by 2 ft) and it was about 1/4 inch thick, light light foam in the center with a light light platic-type coating on either side. The name brand was "sturdy board". Is this depron or fan fold foam or something entirely different? I'm ignorant on this, and so are the people in the stores locally that I talk to. Regardless, this stuff is only $8.50 per sheet, so it could make a decent airplane I think. Help!
Martin Hunter is offline Find More Posts by Martin Hunter
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 12, 2002, 11:52 PM
G G Ghost Pirates !!!
USA, NC, Gastonia
Joined Dec 2001
8,826 Posts
lol the people are not gonna know what ya are talking about .. ask for sturdy board .. its in the school supply section.. Fan fold is pink and blue .. blue does better .. it is 1/4 inch thick and comes in a 2 foot by 4 foot acordian folded type bundle .. 27 pieces i think .. runs about 24-35 dollars a bundle.. the sturdy board is like 2.00 a piece. also while your at walmart check out and buy a few Sky rider gliders .. great for R/C conversion ..

fan fold is found at hard wares and building suppliers .. vinyl siding companies use it alot .. flooring companies use it.. Blue core is made by Dow .. Pink fan fold is made by owens corning.. Good Luck and Take Care ... Vyceroy
Vyceroy is offline Find More Posts by Vyceroy
Old Mar 12, 2002, 11:59 PM
Leave me alone!
Kamloops, BC, Canada
Joined Feb 2002
15,106 Posts
thanks for your prompt reply, vyceroy! Where can you get this sturdy board for $2 per sheet? Even with the US/Canadian conversion, that's only like $3 canadian per sheet, whereas the price I saw was $8.50 (about 5 US)
Old Mar 13, 2002, 12:03 AM
Go Dawgs!!!!!!!
USA, NC, Clayton
Joined Feb 2001
5,884 Posts
Dreamer,

Your Walmart should have it....ours down this was carry it!!

Later,
David
David Hogue is online now Find More Posts by David Hogue
Old Mar 13, 2002, 12:03 AM
G G Ghost Pirates !!!
USA, NC, Gastonia
Joined Dec 2001
8,826 Posts
Wal-Marts here in North Carolina have it for 1.92 a sheet.. its near the poster board in the school supply section.. if its 8.00 a sheet run away very fast .. if your close to the usa try coming over the border at a walmart there.. K-mart has it .. art supply stores have it .. take care .. vyceroy
Vyceroy is offline Find More Posts by Vyceroy
Old Mar 13, 2002, 12:32 AM
Alberta, Canada
Joined Sep 2001
1,292 Posts
staples has the sturdyboard/foamboard for about 5$ cdn a sheet as well.
Mikey-flies is offline Find More Posts by Mikey-flies
Old Mar 13, 2002, 05:36 PM
It's a Great Day to Fly
Melbourne Beach, Florida
Joined Jan 2002
3,869 Posts
The sturdy board has a paper covering that you can soak and peel off. It sounds like the expensive stuff you found has a plastic covering. This might have its own uses.

The Depron is extruded polystyrene foam (probably did not spell that right) but it is used as underlayment on wood floors, it is used as insulation under siding. I found it at Lowe's, but not at Home Depot, others have found it at their local Home Depot, you have to look around the insulation section. If you talk to contractors or home builders, describe it's use. That usually makes the lights come on.
Len
LenBFP is online now Find More Posts by LenBFP
Old Mar 13, 2002, 08:26 PM
Leave me alone!
Kamloops, BC, Canada
Joined Feb 2002
15,106 Posts
Thanks for your help guys! I went on a search this evening to hobby/craft stores as well as Revelstoke home center and even a local "foam supply shop" and they all gave me the deer-in-headlights look when I mentioned those different types of foam. The only insulation foam available is the white big chunky stuff, unfortunately... the search continues! I may be stuck with sturdy board
Old Mar 13, 2002, 08:32 PM
Departing at 'O' dark 30
Sudbury, Ont. Canada
Joined Feb 2002
1,253 Posts
Hi Dreamer

Im goin through the same thing, i have found several building supply stores that now what im talking about but dont stock the stuff . Keep looking, i talked to a local place today and they are trying to see if they can get some for me without ordering a whole pile of it. BTW it sounds like it sells for about $35 canadian for 25 foot lengths at 3/16 thick.

Cass
Cass is offline Find More Posts by Cass
Old Mar 13, 2002, 09:03 PM
Oz Member
Near Mallala, South Oz
Joined Nov 2001
161 Posts
G'Day dreamer,
Siliar problem way over hereWe don't have the fan fold foam. I have come across 1" and 2" thick blue foam that comes in 2' by 8' panels that tongue-and-groove together, made by Dow in (of all places) Saudi Arabia!!!!
But the foam board that I can get from art shops in Aus is called Fome-Cor, and is made in the US. They have a web site www.fome-cor.com and has both types. The art board works for me, just soak in water for a couple of hours, and peel off the paper. Then I usually rub off any remnants with my hand in the water. Works a treat, and the foam is brilliant for building, BUT REMEMBER, it has a "grain" and use it accordingly. ie grain along the wing for strength spanwise, and curvability for aerofoil chordwise. It is also great for cicular cross-section fuselages, and will roll when wet to an outside diameter of around 1".
But long-winded, but I hope it helps
Ragnar is offline Find More Posts by Ragnar
Old Mar 13, 2002, 11:28 PM
Leave me alone!
Kamloops, BC, Canada
Joined Feb 2002
15,106 Posts
Cass, that sounds like exactly the deal I'm looking for. Is the place strictly local for you, or is there a chance it's a chain?

Ragnar, Thanks for the tips! I just found some sturdyboard for $5 as Staples (per Mikey-flies' reccomendation) and will be trying my hand at it soon. Regarding the grain... hopefully it runs such that I can use the longer (30") side as the leading edge of the wing to make a 60" plane. Is this the case?
Old Mar 14, 2002, 07:12 AM
Oz Member
Near Mallala, South Oz
Joined Nov 2001
161 Posts
The sheet I'm using are 40" x 60" and the grain runs along the longest side, I usually cut them into two 30" x 40" sheets so they fit in the bath! When its wet the grain is VERY obvious, and even dry you can feel that it bends in one direction better than the other.
Note the piccy below, you can see it wants to bend one way.
Ragnar is offline Find More Posts by Ragnar
Old Mar 14, 2002, 08:54 AM
Leave me alone!
Kamloops, BC, Canada
Joined Feb 2002
15,106 Posts
ahhh, gotcha... I'll check it out when I soak it, then. The sheets I've found are about 1/4 the size of the one in your picture
Old Mar 14, 2002, 09:26 AM
New York
Joined Mar 2002
115 Posts
depron

i did a search and found this place, they're a seller at the wram show, i've bought from them before. here's a link
http://www.nyblimp.com/zepron.htm
sportwin is offline Find More Posts by sportwin
Old Mar 14, 2002, 01:47 PM
Departing at 'O' dark 30
Sudbury, Ont. Canada
Joined Feb 2002
1,253 Posts
Dreamer:

Just heard back from the guy and he says nobody in northern Ontario has ever ordered this from Dow!

I went to the dow site and requested a list of suppliers of fanfold in Ontario, we will see what happens

Cass
Cass is offline Find More Posts by Cass