http://www.home.earthlink.net/~bengco

Kurt
Bengtson is online now Find More Posts by Bengtson
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 03, 2001, 02:41 PM
North Hills
Joined Nov 1999
6,073 Posts
You have some really beautiful airplanes Kurt. Congratulations!

I keep looking at the Dare kits with bad intent. I may just have to build one as a winter project.

Pete
SchiessCo is offline Find More Posts by SchiessCo
Old Aug 04, 2001, 10:54 AM
p471701
n/a Posts
nice planes & nice site.............gregg
Old Aug 04, 2001, 01:16 PM
Kent, Wa.
Joined Feb 2001
641 Posts
Nice looking planes.

I have a Herr Super Cub almost ready for covering. It is using a S280 direct drive because of prop size limitation.

I also have the Dumas Stinson SR10(?) and and AirKnocker C3 Master on the shelf.

I have previously done all these planes in larger scales for glow power.

I have found the conversion of these RBFF models to be a veryinteresting change of pace.

And they start the first time every time. No messy oil to clean up.

Robbie
Rotten Robbie is offline Find More Posts by Rotten Robbie
Old Aug 04, 2001, 04:07 PM
ὅπερ ἔδει δεῖξαι
Joined May 2000
3,335 Posts
Hi Kurt! Nice planes, I like all of them. Those are some of my favorite subjects even though I don't have any examples of them (yet) myself.

If you haven't seen them yet, I have two of the models on your conversion list, the SE5 and the PT17. Check them out here: http://personal.rdu.bellsouth.net/rd...modelhome.html
Gerald is offline Find More Posts by Gerald
Old Aug 04, 2001, 04:24 PM
Designing on the edge
United States, OR, Portland
Joined Mar 2001
1,528 Posts
Gerald:

I have seen your site and am very impressed with your work. My SE5a so far will have a Mega Mig S280 with a 4:1 Horst gearbox and a 9x7 prop with 8x270 mah Nimh batteries. I have it framed and ready to install the servos and electronics. I plan to cover it with my fav... Polyspan.

As for the Stearman PT-17, well your motor mounting is very nice. I do want to preserve the radial engine look. It is hard to do that with most gear setups on this model. I also plan to have ailerons for this one.

Kurt
Old Aug 04, 2001, 05:13 PM
ὅπερ ἔδει δεῖξαι
Joined May 2000
3,335 Posts
Just a bit of advice, try to arrange to be able to position the battery as far forward as possible with both of these models. I ended up having to add lead to the noses to get flyable CG because I placed the batteries in the bottom of the fuselage in between the bottom wings.

The SE5A has enough dihedral to turn nicely on rudder only. With scale ailerons only on the bottom wing I find I still need to mix in about 25% rudder for it to turn well using the ailerons.

You probably build lighter than I do so maybe you'll get away with a smaller motor. But in the Stearman if you use a direct drive 7.2v speed 400 then you can use that cool JU52 prop for a scale appearance. It will fit well into the radial motor cowl and though it weighs more, you eliminate the weight of the gearbox so it evens out. That will also place the weight forward enough to give you more flexibility in battery placement. Just a suggestion. I might even try it myself.
Gerald is offline Find More Posts by Gerald
Old Aug 04, 2001, 06:11 PM
Designing on the edge
Joined Mar 2001
1,528 Posts
Gerald:

I did place a battery compartment in the nose of the fuse by cutting out the third former from underneath and placing a balsa sheet between the side keels. I plan to place the servos on 2 3/16 " square rails in the cockpit. I will also make up my own music wire landing gear as the balsa ones won't take the kind of landings that I usually have. No ailerons for this model. I used basswood for stringers instead of balsa. I used this wood on Mr. Mulligan and it makes such a strong and nearly just as light structure. I always seem to put my finger thru a stringer when the fuses are built with balsa stringers.

The idea of the direct drive S400 on the Stearman is neat. I will look into that option. Thanks

Kurt
Old Aug 05, 2001, 12:52 AM
Designing on the edge
Joined Mar 2001
1,528 Posts
Thanks guys, I plan to expand it with my upcoming:

HOB Spacewalker 42" gas to electric conversion
Guillows 24" SE5A FF to electric conversion
Dare Fokker DR1 31"
Dare Nieuport 17 Gas to electric conversion 68"
Dare Sopwith Camel gas to electric conversion 42"
Scratch built Avro 504 42"
Sratch built Albatros Doppletaube 58"
Guillows Stearman PT-17 28" FF conversion
Dumas Hawker Hurricane 30" FF to electric conversion
and 9 other possible conversions

Obviously this will not happen overnight.

Thanks again guys.

Kurt