HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 23, 2005, 02:23 PM
Joined Jan 2005
6 Posts
Kraft Eleck Rider

I got a Kraft Eleck Rider new in the box and was wondering if anyone new if the Momba 8000 would fit in it? Also what size are the cells in the battery pack? Also do you think Lipo cells would be the way to go? thanks in advance for all the help..........
Nate
cabbynate is offline Find More Posts by cabbynate
Last edited by cabbynate; Jan 23, 2005 at 02:29 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 24, 2005, 07:59 AM
mp-
Napa, California
Joined Jan 2004
706 Posts
Nate,

The Eleck Rider transmission is designed to handle the power of a "380" sized motor. I would be worried that a motor with much more power might break the transmission. If fixing the transmission were simply a matter of buying parts, I'd say go for it, but the Eleck Rider has been out of production for 20+ years, and finding replacement parts may be tough.

If you want to get a bike to hop up, I'd recommend one of the 1/5 or 1/8 scale bikes. You'll find lots of parts available, and plenty of folks have experience making them faster, and better handling.

You could probably sell the NIB Eleck Rider, and have enough to buy a used 1/5 scale Thunder Tiger or new 1/8 Scale Kyosho.

mp-
mp- is offline Find More Posts by mp-
Old Jan 24, 2005, 10:14 AM
Joined Jan 2005
6 Posts
Thanks for the input mp.
Do you think a mod "380" sized motor with a good speed control would be to much? I have lots of gears and spare parts. Thanks for the help. I don't like the mechanical speed control or having to have a receiver pack.
Old Jan 24, 2005, 11:15 AM
mp-
Napa, California
Joined Jan 2004
706 Posts
Nate,

Sounds like you're determined to make a hotrod out of that collectors item, and if you've got spare parts, go for it! It's hard to predict how much power the trans can handle before going belly up, but I would recommend increasing the power in increments until it either breaks or becomes undriveable, then detuning to the next level down. You might consider converting to "direct steering," otherwise you may end up with a fast bike that requires a huge area to get turned around. It's been a long time since I've driven an ER, but I do remember having to get off the throttle to get it to turn. I would also recommend using a rear tire on the front, as the more rounded profile of the rear tire will improve the steering. You should definitely lose the mech speed control in favor of the more modern electronic speed controls with brakes and BEC. Back in the day, Kraft sold a special battery pack for the ER, although I don't remember the specifics. I'll look at the ER I have on the shelf to see if I can give you any more information about the battery. Keep us posted on your progress, with some effort, you'll have the fastest Eleck Rider around!

mp-
Old Jan 24, 2005, 12:21 PM
RCMCC.tripod.com
Fremont, CA
Joined Sep 2003
2,316 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mp-
Nate,
Sounds like you're determined to make a hotrod out of that collectors item, mp-
This is a good way to put it. Mint in box usually means collectors item.

Ian
grymg is offline Find More Posts by grymg
Old Jan 24, 2005, 04:41 PM
Joined Jan 2005
6 Posts
Quote:
s is a good way to put it. Mint in box usually means collectors item.

Ian
Well, to be honest 3 mint in the box, one 95% mint, lots of gears and 4 new fairings.
One will always stay mint and the others may get used.

mp, thanks for the heads up on the tires and the steering. I need to find out what size the cells are in the battery pack. They are smaller than the sub c cell bit bigger than the receiver pack size. I may cut the shrink wrap off one and see what the cells say......
Old Jan 25, 2005, 06:07 AM
mp-
Napa, California
Joined Jan 2004
706 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by cabbynate
Well, to be honest 3 mint in the box, one 95% mint, lots of gears and 4 new fairings.
One will always stay mint and the others may get used.

mp, thanks for the heads up on the tires and the steering. I need to find out what size the cells are in the battery pack. They are smaller than the sub c cell bit bigger than the receiver pack size. I may cut the shrink wrap off one and see what the cells say......
Nate,

I looked at the bike I have, but the battery is long gone. As far as choosing which cell to use, I would look for a cell that has decent capacity, and has a size that stacks up well to use the space under the bike. I was looking at my ER last night, there really is a lot of space on the bottom, and tons of ground clearance.

If you have a digital camera, please post some pics of your project!

mp-
Old Jan 25, 2005, 11:07 AM
Bombigleo Films
FC Colorado USA
Joined Sep 2003
187 Posts
Id really like to see a video of one of these bikes once you get it going. Good luck on the project!!
chuckstunter is offline Find More Posts by chuckstunter
Old Jan 25, 2005, 12:46 PM
Joined Jan 2005
6 Posts
I have a buddy that is into R/C and also photography so when I get all the info I fill I need I will start putting this thing together. I'm still undecided about what to use to power it. Brushless or a high performance 380 with a good Speedo. Maybe a Novak spy?
I race off-road 1/10. Team Losi XXX, XXX-4GP,XXX-TMF2 and a XXX-NTAD so I have my hands full but when I get this project going I will be sure to post some pix's.
This is the exact same battery that comes with the kits, http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p?&I=LXT316
The capacity is low for what I'm use to but I've read cycles get better run time than cars? I'm still looking at lipos too. Thunder power has lots of different sizes so we shall see........................... Nate
Last edited by cabbynate; Jan 25, 2005 at 12:59 PM.
Old Feb 02, 2005, 03:55 AM
Joined Jan 2005
6 Posts
mp,
UGM.
Old Feb 02, 2005, 09:19 AM
PROFESSOR TRUTH JIMMY ICE
United States, CA, Los Angeles
Joined Sep 2003
6,626 Posts
Quote:
This is the exact same battery that comes with the kits, http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p?&I=LXT316
The capacity is low for what I'm use to but I've read cycles get better run time than cars? I'm still looking at lipos too. Thunder power has lots of different sizes so we shall see........................... Nate

you can make a battery pack that's just about the same size as that from the new GP 1100mah cells for longer runtime www.blindbatts.com
Akura2 is online now Find More Posts by Akura2
Old Feb 03, 2005, 04:12 AM
Joined Jan 2005
6 Posts
I use those same cells for my reciver pack in my nitro 1/10 truck.
They have a twenty amp discharge rate. What cycle are you using them in?
Old Feb 03, 2005, 09:01 AM
PROFESSOR TRUTH JIMMY ICE
United States, CA, Los Angeles
Joined Sep 2003
6,626 Posts
Quote:
I use those same cells for my reciver pack in my nitro 1/10 truck.
They have a twenty amp discharge rate. What cycle are you using them in?

I use them in my Kyosho NSR500 HOR with a Mamba 6800... they have a LOT of punch
Akura2 is online now Find More Posts by Akura2
Old Feb 03, 2005, 07:54 PM
R/C Bike Rider
Tokyo, Japan
Joined Dec 2004
54 Posts
This cell sounds like not so bad.

"**NEW** GP's extreme high output 2/3A cell. This is a 30+ amp cell in a small package. If you are looking for a good 10-20 amp cell for a lower price tag consider our CBP-1150 2/3A instead."

http://www.unipros.com/cbpsite/loose...ssion_id=51280
ShiningMachine is offline Find More Posts by ShiningMachine
Old Feb 05, 2005, 02:10 PM
Rijswijk The Netherlands
Joined Mar 2004
8 Posts
Nate,
Nice to hear that there are still some ER's. I have mine since 1982 i think, stil use it besides my HOR. I have 2 ER's, not mint in the box anymore but ....... they still dive.
There are 2 versions, 1 is for 5 cell's,6 volts, side by side, the 2e is for 6 cell's 7,2 volts
normal stickpack that you use in your off-road. The only difference is that the batteryholder, rearswingarm and chain are longer. I will try to make some time to make some pics.
Good luck with your project.

Rob
Hobbyrobby is offline Find More Posts by Hobbyrobby