Old Jan 22, 2005, 08:07 PM
Big gov never Works
Skunk Water, Rhode Island
Joined Jul 2002
12,327 Posts
Yippee!
Warbirdkits.com Bf-109F-2

Greetings all! Happy blizzard to all in the north east

I was asked by Tom Jacoby to do a build thread on his newly available kit. The kit was designed by Terry Majewski, who had a long thread on his prototype. Terry has done a wonderful job on the design of this plane. Tom has worked hard to bring this kitto market, with many refinements neccessary to make it a great kit. My hats off to both of you!

I plan on making a few changes to the stock kit, in order to open the design up to show different approaches to a already good design. I have a need to make the wing removable in order to take more than one plane to the field. All changes will be done making patterns and will be avail. as a optional download on Toms site.

As I also know that many folks might not have the ability to use a brushless mtr, I am going to make the build as light as possible to use a stock 6v SP-400. First flights will be made using this mtr. The benifit here, for me, is later I will change over to a 16/15/5 or/6. The lighter wt will be give even more spectacular performance.

My first impression of the kit is that it is well thought out, very complete, and Terry's work on the plans, astoundingly clear.

The kit is lazer cut with very good quality balsa used. Decals are provided in a crisp ink jet print. Tom provided me with a GWS 109 canopy to see if it could be adapted to the frame. I will try

These first photo's will show what is given in the kit. One thing I forgot to show is the clear, pictorial building manual. That will show up in future pics.

Tom will, I know, post pics of his version which is in the Bf-109-4/trop version flown by Hans-Joachim, 3./JG 27, Egypt, on Sept 15, 1942. I plan on doing the same sceme as Terry's prototype, which is a Bf-109F-2, as flown by Max-Helmut Ostermann, 7./JG 54, Russia, Oct. 1941.

Steve
St. Martin is offline Find More Posts by St. Martin
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 22, 2005, 08:18 PM
Big gov never Works
Joined Jul 2002
12,327 Posts
A few more pics of the lazer cut wood and GWS canopy. And the decals.

Steve
Old Jan 22, 2005, 08:30 PM
Big gov never Works
Joined Jul 2002
12,327 Posts
The wing is of a spar-less design. Here are a few views of the plans, and the first thing I do after printing decals, myself, is to seal the right away. This will avoid damage to the water based ink. I used a brand of lacquer sold by Wal-Mart, in a satin finish. I usually use Krylon clear satin, but I was out. An important note, is to use light coats. 4 light coats is better than 2-3 heavy coats. This is true in all coatings on models.

I'll be back later tonite to show more pics and give a progress report. Thank You Mr. Blizzard!

Steve
Old Jan 22, 2005, 10:10 PM
Now in TN!
Chapel Hill, TN USA
Joined Apr 2001
24,362 Posts
I hope you get snowed in for a week! Then I'll get to see it finished!

J
J Morgan is offline Find More Posts by J Morgan
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: OV-10A Bronco from Palmer Plans
Old Jan 22, 2005, 10:25 PM
Big gov never Works
Joined Jul 2002
12,327 Posts
Well so far, atleast till monday!

Steve
Old Jan 22, 2005, 11:14 PM
Big gov never Works
Joined Jul 2002
12,327 Posts
Gliding right along...

Preperation of the wing skins is first. Making sure the skins fit flush, use the masking tape method to join the skins. I use PICA Glu-It to adhere the skins. I cut a V-notch in the und of the dispensing tube, this allows a much easier application. After laying the skin, masking tape down, wipe the excess glue from the skin, using a paper towel. Lay down a sheet of wax paper, add first skin, then use wax paper between each skin. Plus, on top of the last. Weigh down the skins to keep flat.( I usually use my Bass Master books for this, but they are in the library..)

The front doubler was notched to match the marks on the fuse sides, and F-2 was assembled over the plans. 1/8"sq. was stripped from scrap wood and added to rear bottom of fuselage.

Steve

edit: After rereading this post, I noticed I failed to say why I made a new F-2 on the plans. I thought I mis-placed the F-2 bulkhead. It was stolen by my balsa chewing, 27# cat, Tommy. I just found it downstairs in several pieces, under the kitchen table,, But it all worked out well, and Tommy still has no clue of wrong doing. He likes Rx antt's also...
Last edited by St. Martin; Jan 23, 2005 at 06:36 PM.
Old Jan 22, 2005, 11:18 PM
Big gov never Works
Joined Jul 2002
12,327 Posts
The plows can not keep up with the snow...
Old Jan 23, 2005, 12:08 AM
Now in TN!
Chapel Hill, TN USA
Joined Apr 2001
24,362 Posts
Looks like you and DAF can have a hell of a snowball fight!

J
J Morgan is offline Find More Posts by J Morgan
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: OV-10A Bronco from Palmer Plans
Old Jan 23, 2005, 01:37 AM
Big gov never Works
Joined Jul 2002
12,327 Posts
Snow ball fight...are you daf?..lol

Laminated two F-4's to form a cross grained bulkhead. Added F-2 thru F-4 at 90deg to side, plus 1'4 tri stock to keep it all square. Attached opposite side, removed from board and joined rear fuse at tail post. Add remaining rear bulkheads, forward 1/4" doublers and mtr mount. Installed 1/8"sq rear stringers, turtle deck, and 1/4" tri stock in nose.

All for tonite. Build is very fast. Sides were of same density for a true fuselage.

Steve
Old Jan 23, 2005, 01:44 AM
Big gov never Works
Joined Jul 2002
12,327 Posts
The sides pulled in at the tops without wetting. Great quality wood.
Old Jan 23, 2005, 08:04 AM
TerryM
United States, AR, Heber Springs
Joined Sep 2001
728 Posts
Steve,

I am/will enjoy watching your quick progress.
I'll probably learn a few things ;-)

Terry
orectolobus is offline Find More Posts by orectolobus
Old Jan 23, 2005, 08:12 AM
Big gov never Works
Joined Jul 2002
12,327 Posts
Thank you, Terry! Please chime in at anytime to offer any input. This is a very enjoyable build. Show some of your own pics. Some flight shots or finished pics would be great.

Steve
Old Jan 23, 2005, 08:21 AM
Imagine That!
Tularosa, New Mexico, United States
Joined Jan 2003
1,638 Posts
Speed Build

Geez, Steve, slow down or people will think it's an ARF

The full-scale "Friedrich" aircraft set a new shape for Messerschmitt's Bf 109 line, changing the abrupt nose of the "Emil" and earlier versions, to a more streamlined nose. With minor changes such as gun bulges and canopy framing, you can build the basic "Friedrich" into a "Gustav" or many of the later versions.

One of my favorite sources of documentation is http://109lair.hobbyvista.com. In the technical reference section you can find a great set of factory-original drawings of the fuselage stencils for an F or G version. I've reproduced these stencils on the "Marseille - JG27" decal set that's a free download at www.warbirdkits.com.

I offered to do a set of decals for any particular aircraft that Steve wants to model. Since the Bf 109 was flown in the markings of at least 20 countries, there are plenty to choose from. But I know that Steve's hangup is shark-mouthed aircraft, so here's one - a Finnish G-6 in 1948 (Source: Wings of Fame 11).

By the way, this kit is shipping now. Price is $49.95 plus $7.50 shipping (in the US). International shipping is available at extra cost and RISK.

Tom
www.warbirdkits.com
TomJacoby is offline Find More Posts by TomJacoby
Old Jan 23, 2005, 08:23 AM
Imagine That!
Tularosa, New Mexico, United States
Joined Jan 2003
1,638 Posts
Hmm... wonder why they needed a tropical air filter in Finland...

Tom
TomJacoby is offline Find More Posts by TomJacoby
Old Jan 23, 2005, 08:48 AM
Big gov never Works
Joined Jul 2002
12,327 Posts
OK... now you did it!! I want that one! I can free hand the mouth...lol

Steve