SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Closed Thread
Old Jan 22, 2005, 11:29 AM
Arlington,VA USA
Joined Jan 2001
1,862 Posts
Question
How much "upgrade" money do you have in your Corona?

Total cost for my LMH 116 heli (not including electronics): $75.
Total repair costs (last 2 months): $15 for two blades, $7.50 for spur.
Total cost for my ECO8: $110, no repair costs yet.
Both in great shape. Total cost in the air for both helis including 2 brushless motors and a LIPO pack is less than a fully upgraded corona.

For the life of me I cant understand investing the kind of $$$ that is needed for belt-drives, swash-plates, carbon crutches/blades/tubes, titanium shafts, etc. These are great additions to the Corona and help the performance. But they come at a huge cost IMO. The end result is a heli that performs much better.....better that is than a stock corona.
But compare it with a stock CP "next-step" heli? No way it is the better machine. Perhaps someone can post a video of a fully upgraded corona that performs at par with one of the stock CP 3d-capable machines. I bet the stock CP helis perform better, and cost MUCH LESS than a fully-upgraded corona.

Being a car hobbiest I see the same sort of thing all the time. People taking a stock inexpensive VW-beetle for instance and throwing in a chevy-350 long-block/tranny and frame. The end result is an expensve car that performs great....when compared with a stock VW.
.....but line it up against a stock SS-nova with the same motor, or even a tweaked Honda or Toyota and the stock-hot chevy/honda/toyota configuration is hands-down the better car. In looks, performance, value, return on investment, etc.

Sure you can "upgrade" as you break stuff...but let me tell ya I'd still rather pay $6.50 for another stock spur than $60 for a belt-drive conversion.
Take the $60 I save and put a down payment on a real CP heli.

Pullin'
pullin-gs is offline Find More Posts by pullin-gs
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 22, 2005, 12:02 PM
Destroyer of G-10
United States, OR
Joined Jul 2004
10,085 Posts
obviously you have more time than money. For myself, time is more precious. so I like upgrade that increase durability and down time. I have 3d capable eolo with full upgrade, but my upgraded corona gets most of the flying time because I can do it in front of my house. and it flies really well. (I can do small funnel now) and the fact that I can't break it easily allow me to be really aggressive, as simle crash won't damage anything. (I have not had to buy a part in long time for my bt corona) while I enjoy working on heli, I'd rather fly... and my corona is almost a good flyer as my eolo.
askman is offline Find More Posts by askman
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 22, 2005, 12:43 PM
Arlington,VA USA
Joined Jan 2001
1,862 Posts
Quote:
obviously you have more time than money.
Indeed I have plenty of time....time saved from tweaking an entry-level heli. More time to fly.
As far as money is concerned? Plenty of that saved also....flying my stock LMH heli, have an ECO-8 RTF, and still have spent less money than many of those who have just a corona w/upgrades.

I'm not saying the corona is a bad heli.....quite the contrary...its great as-is.
Why do you need "upgrades" to fly in front of your house?
And how do "upgrades" make it crash better?
Does CP swash make it stronger?
Carbon boom?
Belt drives?
These are not designed to improve it's crashability, they are intended to improve performance.
The corona is tuff as it is.
I have two crashes (bad ones) stock, and all I have is broken a pair of blades , popped a few nylon ties, and stripped a bunch of servos.
Just out of curiosity, how much green do you have in your corona now?
What is a stock EOLO going for nowadays?

Pullin'
pullin-gs is offline Find More Posts by pullin-gs
Last edited by pullin-gs; Jan 22, 2005 at 12:48 PM.
Old Jan 22, 2005, 12:47 PM
---------Speed!!---------
Illinois
Joined Jul 2003
6,134 Posts
http://www.ballistictechnology.com/FlightVideo.htm

Here is a flight video. It is an MPEG. So, it is choppy. But, you will get an idea of what the tricked out Coronas can do.

Matt........
Heli Mod Man is offline Find More Posts by Heli Mod Man
Old Jan 22, 2005, 12:51 PM
My hobby is why Im broke
USA, TN, Millington
Joined Dec 2002
6,861 Posts
Not this conversation again. Its really simple, durability. You put the Eco 8 into the ground and you put the Corona into the ground, which one is going to be the bigger discouragement ? A few crashes with the Eco 8 and you can have a tricked out Corona besides that you could save the parts you replaced and build another Corona. So, in essence, you could have two Coronas. The Eco 8 seems to me to be pretty fragile. There is a freedom that comes with flying the Corona such as low cost repair bills, low downtime, park size flyable. The only difference I basically see between the two is inverted flight. For casual flying some basic aerobatics, loops, rolls...its the route to go...
darthdrk is offline Find More Posts by darthdrk
Old Jan 22, 2005, 12:52 PM
Illinois
Joined Jul 2003
6,134 Posts
As for durability, my titanium main shafts are nearly indestructable. My carbon flybar is exptremely durable. The belt drives do not strip like gears, and with the new Kevlar belt, broken belts are pretty much a thing of the past. I sell almost no replacement parts at all! The parts just seem to survive.

I must say, I agree with you for the most part. But, there is a certain charm to a tricked out item. Some people prefer that over a stock, but higher tech, heli. No big deal, to each his own.

Matt...........
Old Jan 22, 2005, 01:00 PM
Illinois
Joined Jul 2003
6,134 Posts
Oh, you askd about cost. If a customer contacts me and wants "One of everything" it is pretty much about a $500 proposition (sometimes more!). Is that expensive? You bet! No-one said RC helis were supposed to be cheap. However, I agree there is a better way to get performance out of a $500 investment. So, that is why I am developing the new CP hlei I have been talking about.

No biggie, dude, I know where you are coming from!

Hey, Pullings, would you like to try a flybar (on me)?

Let me know!

Matt.............
Old Jan 22, 2005, 01:29 PM