Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Jan 21, 2005, 07:52 PM
I like the violent stuff!
Costa Mesa, CA
Joined Oct 2004
1,175 Posts
Yippee!
Design Basics for Pattern Plane

I've learned a lot reading these forums! I'm an old school machinist fairly new to RC flying. I put all the math and science I've learned over the years and built my first scratch built foamy. I used the recommended web links with the basic ratios for high wing designs. It's a blast seeing your own design work ! Even the old glow boy converts are amazed. Now I'm ready to try my hand at a low wing pattern plane. Could someone please point me in the right direction. I already built one by figuring the fulcrum point of my high wing and extending both ends. It looks like a pattern plane and flies well, but I,m sure ther is room for improvement!

Thanks,
Wingin' Wayne
Wingin' Wayne is offline Find More Posts by Wingin' Wayne
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 22, 2005, 05:02 AM
East Anglia, UK
Joined Sep 2002
29,687 Posts
Copy one that works. Th best pattern planes ar almost totall symmetrical - wing in teh middle, sym section, no dihedral. ing engine and tailplane all on the same line. Deep fin and rudder extending below as well as above the thrusrtline, and a lot of fuselage side area carried forward as well as aft, So the fuselage becomes a well balanced airfoil when the model is in the knife edge.

BIG control surfaces and a well aft CG make the model neutral and highly responsive.
vintage1 is offline Find More Posts by vintage1