HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Closed Thread
Old Feb 02, 2005, 11:40 PM
Been There! Done That!
Eugene, Oregon, United States
Joined Sep 2001
19,187 Posts
Total Slow Stick Kit

FYI www.allerc.com just added a Slow Stick Total Kit to their website with savings on the combo. I notice Dave also allows some options. Finally you can get everything you need to build and fly a Slow Stick in one order and get some choices of Radios ETC. Check it out you new SS builders. Been trying to convince GWS to do this since the SS came out!
boomer
www.boomerseflight.com
boomerace is offline Find More Posts by boomerace
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 02, 2005, 11:42 PM
Been There! Done That!
Joined Sep 2001
19,187 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clayton76
Greetings again. Flying is going great; well I guess it is always going great when you come home with nothing broken. Question: now I suppose this is a charactoristic of the plane, but it seems to be sluggish with left and right rudder. I have modified the control arm, drilled hole closer to fin, and I am all the way out on the servo, so I think I have enough throw (through ?) I can bank into a turn well, but pulling out seems to take longer then getting in. What should I expect?

-Clayton
You sure you aren't nose heavy. Double check your CG!
boomer
www.boomerseflight.com
Old Feb 03, 2005, 01:43 PM
Yep I got another one.
Springfield, Mo.
Joined Jan 2005
2,529 Posts
Ok I'm sick of this crap need a cheap METAL gear box. I barly nosed in today dur to grass, no broke prop but smashed the gear case. Tried one I glued and it got about 30 FT the fell off. I saw one but it was over 30 bucks. anyone make there own?
mohillbilly is offline Find More Posts by mohillbilly
Old Feb 03, 2005, 01:54 PM
Bishopville S.C.
Joined May 2003
3,885 Posts
Stick with the GWS box. A screw through the side will hold it on. Replacing it with a stronger box merely means a broken motor or bent fuse next time. If something must break, It's a good thing that it is a cheap part.
Ron H is offline Find More Posts by Ron H
Old Feb 03, 2005, 06:26 PM
Florence Arizona
Joined Dec 2004
247 Posts
Durn Arizona wind!

I got a little $20 Vivitar digital from Walmart and set it up with a servo on my landing gear Ch5. I'm dying to fly it but the wind has been 30 mph+ all week As soon as I do I'll post the pics and some of the camera if anyone is interested in a cheap SS AP set up...

Flatty
flatfenderman is offline Find More Posts by flatfenderman
Old Feb 03, 2005, 06:59 PM
Zanesville, Ohio
Joined Jan 2004
83 Posts
SS Almost Done.. i have a couple (more) questions

Hello all.. the SS is almost done but I notice that the tail wing just isnt level and straight (nothing ever is that i assemble! LOL) will this be a really bad problem? LOL..

I need to also get some information on putting the main wings and parts on the thing.. like measurements and "where" they should go in relation to the center of gravity.

Also i need some information on putting these Deans Micro Plugs on my LiPo battery...i was suggested to get 2 packs and change the ends on the charger and the ends on the battery... (the batt has no ends as it sits)

Heres a pic of what i have:

Any info would be GREATLY appreciated!

Thanks guys!

-R-
kc8tad is offline Find More Posts by kc8tad
Last edited by kc8tad; Feb 03, 2005 at 07:01 PM.
Old Feb 04, 2005, 01:51 AM
Sacaramento, CA
Joined Jan 2005
26 Posts
Boomer, when I balance the plane on my stand, it is almost flat, maybe 2-3 inches from horizontal. Would that have a large effect on handling? Should I be checking it after every hard landing/crash?

-C
Clayton76 is offline Find More Posts by Clayton76
Old Feb 04, 2005, 05:38 AM
WAA pilot #21
Princeton NJ
Joined Dec 2003
3,166 Posts
THose are the wrong plugs - you wanted the deans Ultras....but dont let that stop you. They'll work for the time being. Just order the ultras soon and replace when convenient.
Those are polarized plugs, meaning they cant be plugged in backwards. Note theres one pin on each and one socket. You'll need to be doubly sure that when everything is finished, your red wire goes to red and black goes to black.
Tip: you must slip the heat shrink tube onto the wire BEFORE you solder, otherwise you cant get it on. I like to hold the tubing onto the wire several inches back from the joint with a piece of scotch tape so it doesnt fall into the heated area and shrink up before you want it to. After the joint has cooled some, remove the tape, and slip the tubing over the joint. Hold a match or lighter several inches below to shrink it up.

Its extremely important to NOT accidentally short across the battery leads when your soldering. This is a lesson you really almost hafta learn the hard way, but do take precautions. Its wise to do one wire completely, including heatshrink tubing, while the second wire is taped up out of the way.

As for the tail, you need to determine if its the tail, wing landing gear or fuse thats crooked. Place two soda cans on a flat table. Remove landing gear. Rest the fuse on the soda cans (front and rear of the fuse) so you know the fuse is level & square with the ground. If the fuse is twisted, one corner will be a little high. If the tail is level, then likely your landing gear isnt bent exactly right - dont worry about that at all. If one wingtip is higher than the other, see if you can just shim the opposite wingseat to even em up.
If the fuse is level & the tail is not, then drive a wedge (toothpick, balsa, folded cardboard ...get creative) on the high-side between the tail & fuse.
Vanning is offline Find More Posts by Vanning
Last edited by Vanning; Feb 04, 2005 at 05:41 AM.
Old Feb 04, 2005, 10:39 AM
USA, VT, Brandon
Joined Aug 2004
1,342 Posts
fix

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron H
Stick with the GWS box. A screw through the side will hold it on. Replacing it with a stronger box merely means a broken motor or bent fuse next time. If something must break, It's a good thing that it is a cheap part.
I fixed one with epoxy and a wire tie to hold it all together. It's still in one piece.
millerhill is offline Find More Posts by millerhill
Old Feb 04, 2005, 11:06 AM
uhh registered user
California
Joined Jan 2005
111 Posts
Well any notes or warnings before a start construction of my slowstick?

-Alex
AlexAlex is offline Find More Posts by AlexAlex
Old Feb 04, 2005, 11:57 AM
Been There! Done That!
Joined Sep 2001
19,187 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clayton76
Boomer, when I balance the plane on my stand, it is almost flat, maybe 2-3 inches from horizontal. Would that have a large effect on handling? Should I be checking it after every hard landing/crash?

-C
As long as it balances 4-1/8" back from the front of the wing it should be OK also check for fuse bent up and left looking from the back. Assume you don't have a thrust mod installed to point the motor 3 degrees down and right looking from the back?
boomer
www.boomerseflight.com
Old Feb 04, 2005, 12:31 PM
USA, VT, Brandon
Joined Aug 2004
1,342 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexAlex
Well any notes or warnings before a start construction of my slowstick?

-Alex
Create a seperate bank account hidden from your wife....
millerhill is offline Find More Posts by millerhill
Old Feb 04, 2005, 04:07 PM
Florence Arizona
Joined Dec 2004
247 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by millerhill
Create a seperate bank account hidden from your wife....

From Vermont to Arizona, this riens true!
flatfenderman is offline Find More Posts by flatfenderman
Old Feb 04, 2005, 06:03 PM
Jody Bradshaw
Salisbury, North Carolina, United States
Joined Feb 2004
1,060 Posts
Help!!! Plane stuck 50' up in tree.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I shouldn't have been flying this late. It was getting dark and I hadn't flown in over 3 weeks. I had already drained a partially charged battery and said, "OK I can fly some more." In the failing light I lost my orientation and stalled my SS about 5 feet over an Elm tree. It is in my yard and I still have some power left on the battery and can see the LED on my ESC blinking, but don't have enough torque to spin the prop. It is caught in some twigs right at the top of the tree. I don't have the strength to throw anything that high to hit it and my aim is not good enough to shoot the twigs out from under it with my .22. I even pulled out the .35 Rem and my 12 guage with OO buck and still couldn't chew the limbs up enough to drop the plane. I am out of daylight and ideas. I can't afford to loose everything to the elements by the time the wind blows it down.

Does anyone have any ideas besides renting a cherry picker.

Jody
JMBRAD is offline Find More Posts by JMBRAD
Old Feb 04, 2005, 07:23 PM
Oldie but goodie
United States, CA, Orange
Joined Jun 2003
3,890 Posts
One quart plastic jug filled with dirt or sand. Tie a strong twine or thin rope to handle. You should be able to throw it high enough to grab the branches, then just tug away to shake the plane down.
Popsflyer is offline Find More Posts by Popsflyer
Closed Thread