HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Closed Thread
Thread Tools
Old Feb 01, 2005, 12:30 AM
Registered User
Zanesville, Ohio
Joined Jan 2004
83 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by boomerace
If you look close there are some tiny holes and they should fit!
boomer
www.boomerseflight.com
OH man i looked closer! WHEW Thanks for pointing that out.. its getting LATE and i have work tomorrow! Crud! Cant find my drill to finish the tail but im looking into how to wire up the equiptment now.

I have the Hitec laser 4 kit (HS-55 servos, feather micro reciever..yada yada. :P
The ESC i got is the ICS-300F.

So that I dont fry anything.. ive been looking at the manuals and all but im not sure how i connect the ESC to the reciever! The reciever already has 3 of the 4 slots taken up on it.. it has the two spots for the servos (CH1 and CH2) they are taken up already CH3 is empty and the B/CH4 has a wire connected to it which is connected to a switch and i assume this hooks to the battery pack for the reciever which came with this (i thought the reciever ran off of normal battery but i was wrong!)

My question is do i take the (+,-,data) cable from the ESC and put it to the channel 3 on the reciever?

Here are two pictures




Thanks again..

-R-
kc8tad is online now Find More Posts by kc8tad
Sign up now
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 01, 2005, 12:43 AM
Been There! Done That!
boomerace's Avatar
Eugene, Oregon, United States
Joined Sep 2001
19,187 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kc8tad
OH man i looked closer! WHEW Thanks for pointing that out.. its getting LATE and i have work tomorrow! Crud! Cant find my drill to finish the tail but im looking into how to wire up the equiptment now.

I have the Hitec laser 4 kit (HS-55 servos, feather micro reciever..yada yada. :P
The ESC i got is the ICS-300F.

So that I dont fry anything.. ive been looking at the manuals and all but im not sure how i connect the ESC to the reciever! The reciever already has 3 of the 4 slots taken up on it.. it has the two spots for the servos (CH1 and CH2) they are taken up already CH3 is empty and the B/CH4 has a wire connected to it which is connected to a switch and i assume this hooks to the battery pack for the reciever which came with this (i thought the reciever ran off of normal battery but i was wrong!)

My question is do i take the (+,-,data) cable from the ESC and put it to the channel 3 on the reciever?

Here are two pictures




Thanks again..

-R-
Nothing goes in channel 4 so remove that wire. your esc plugs into channel 3, your elevator servo in channel 2 and your rudder in channel 1 Thats it. Power for the servos and reciever is by the motor battery and is supplied through the esc.
boomer
www.boomerseflight.com
boomerace is offline Find More Posts by boomerace
Old Feb 01, 2005, 12:45 AM
Been There! Done That!
boomerace's Avatar
Eugene, Oregon, United States
Joined Sep 2001
19,187 Posts
By the Way don't cut the tail as that is a stupid option put in by GWS!
boomer
www.boomerseflight.com
boomerace is offline Find More Posts by boomerace
Old Feb 01, 2005, 12:48 AM
Registered User
Zanesville, Ohio
Joined Jan 2004
83 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by boomerace
Nothing goes in channel 4 so remove that wire. your esc plugs into channel 3, your elevator servo in channel 2 and your rudder in channel 1 Thats it. Power for the servos and reciever is by the motor battery and is supplied through the esc.
boomer
www.boomerseflight.com
Thanks again. Ill have to finish this tomorrow night! Hopefully.

nite.

-R-
kc8tad is online now Find More Posts by kc8tad
Old Feb 01, 2005, 12:53 AM
Registered User
Zanesville, Ohio
Joined Jan 2004
83 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by boomerace
By the Way don't cut the tail as that is a stupid option put in by GWS!
boomer
www.boomerseflight.com
hahah yea thanks to vanning's helpful document i read that... whew i still need to find the drill (dont know where it went!) so i can finish up the tail.. im also trying to figure out how and where i need to put everything. This is a little bit harder than i first thought.. but then again its fun so im not complaining (thanks to you helpful people!). I have to get a PSU going for my charger but for that i think im going to use a 6A 12v computer psu. I wanted to use my Astron RS-35A power supply but its 13.8v and my Celectra 1-3 charger i guess dont do voltage regulation so im off to try and get that computer psu working. After that I should be ok I just hope i shaved enough foam off of the rudder, elevator etc.. This should be interesting this weekend! hopefully i can fly it for the first time. vannings webpage that he gave out is a VERY nice compilation of data for the SS. Good job vanning

So yea off to bed.. nite for real this time

-R-
kc8tad is online now Find More Posts by kc8tad
Old Feb 01, 2005, 07:05 AM
Registered User
Syracuse, NY (USA)
Joined Dec 2004
2,724 Posts
Are we suppose to shave the elevator and rudder at an angle just on one side?

Do we tape both sides or just one side to make the hinge? I think there would have to be some "slack" in the tape if we taped both sides.

I'm home sick today - maybe I'll get some build time in!
Block is offline Find More Posts by Block
Old Feb 01, 2005, 07:20 AM
Registered User
Zanesville, Ohio
Joined Jan 2004
83 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Block
Are we suppose to shave the elevator and rudder at an angle just on one side?

Do we tape both sides or just one side to make the hinge? I think there would have to be some "slack" in the tape if we taped both sides.

I'm home sick today - maybe I'll get some build time in!
I was home sick yesterday *cough* *cough* to build my first SS haha.

You put the tape at the top of the elevator to make a hinge and then you need to have to shave off a 40-45 degree angle off of it so it can go the other way. Same with the rudder also.. But do it before taping because that stuff gets all over the tape and it isnt too sticky after that. Just make sure u get the right side.. i think i shaved mine too much but ill find out come this weekend.

Good luck.

-R-
kc8tad is online now Find More Posts by kc8tad
Old Feb 01, 2005, 09:56 AM
Registered User
Ron H's Avatar
Bishopville S.C.
Joined May 2003
3,896 Posts
Taping both sides will increase strength and help keep the surfaces aligned. Here is a thread on how to do it.
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...ght=tape+hinge
Ron H is offline Find More Posts by Ron H
Old Feb 01, 2005, 09:59 AM
WAA pilot #21
Vanning's Avatar
Princeton NJ
Joined Dec 2003
3,166 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kc8tad
Good job vanning

So yea off to bed.. nite for real this time

-R-
Thank you - but why are you going to sleep? Your not finished yet!

Oh, You only need to cut one side of the rudd and elevator. Apply the tape ONLY to the opposite side as the cut. Visualize running a piano hinge along two pieces of plywood. If the plywood is cut with the ends square, then it'll only fold one way (so the joint opens). If you cut the ply on a 45, so it looks like this =\./= then the joint can swing both ways. Be sure to wipe the tail feathers down with alcohol to get any mold-release off before applying the tape. Also be advised that cold weather reduces the stickieness of the tape - now is when most hinge failures occur. Just inspect between each flight.
Vanning is offline Find More Posts by Vanning
Old Feb 01, 2005, 10:27 AM
Registered User
Zanesville, Ohio
Joined Jan 2004
83 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vanning
Thank you - but why are you going to sleep? Your not finished yet!

Oh, You only need to cut one side of the rudd and elevator. Apply the tape ONLY to the opposite side as the cut. Visualize running a piano hinge along two pieces of plywood. If the plywood is cut with the ends square, then it'll only fold one way (so the joint opens). If you cut the ply on a 45, so it looks like this =\./= then the joint can swing both ways. Be sure to wipe the tail feathers down with alcohol to get any mold-release off before applying the tape. Also be advised that cold weather reduces the stickieness of the tape - now is when most hinge failures occur. Just inspect between each flight.
Hahah yea it was 2am and I had to be at work at 8am (im here now actually). I need to get a drill so i can finish up the tail (lost mine somehow..probably loaned it out and never got it back). I need to find a good way to place all of the things on the plane and how to tape it up (or ziptie or whatnot) and get the hole drilled for the motor.. and get something rigged up so i can power my charger and i should be ready to fly this weekend!! Im so stoaked i cant wait to see it crash LOL kidding.

Welp im off to lunch. Have a great day

-R-
kc8tad is online now Find More Posts by kc8tad
Old Feb 02, 2005, 05:38 PM
The figure "9" Specialist
aeronca's Avatar
A Barrier Island in New Jersey, USA
Joined Oct 2003
3,455 Posts
Just checking in...
aeronca is offline Find More Posts by aeronca
Old Feb 02, 2005, 06:09 PM
Registered User
millerhill's Avatar
USA, VT, Brandon
Joined Aug 2004
1,342 Posts
Other ways to attach LG

Quote:
Originally Posted by jswjimmy
would you happen to know of anything less permanent.
I use wire ties with a gob of hot glue. If you want to change, just clip the wire tie and the hot glue peels off easily.

Steve
millerhill is offline Find More Posts by millerhill
Old Feb 02, 2005, 07:58 PM
Registered User
Syracuse, NY (USA)
Joined Dec 2004
2,724 Posts
I'm somewhat tempted to glue 2 small hinges onto the rudder and 2 onto the elevator (on the outside, the foam is too thin for inserting them into the foam). I have not checked to see if this is realistic.
Block is offline Find More Posts by Block
Old Feb 02, 2005, 10:37 PM
Newby no more!
beaver newby's Avatar
Memphis, TN
Joined Mar 2003
339 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Block
I'm somewhat tempted to glue 2 small hinges onto the rudder and 2 onto the elevator (on the outside, the foam is too thin for inserting them into the foam). I have not checked to see if this is realistic.
Hi Block
There is nothing wrong with your idea but the tape reinforces(or stiffens) the the whole length of the rudder and elevator. I visualize the foam breaking easier at the hinge glue joints.

Hey try it and report your findings!!! I might be wrong .
beaver newby is offline Find More Posts by beaver newby
Old Feb 02, 2005, 11:33 PM
Registered User
Sacaramento, CA
Joined Jan 2005
26 Posts
Flying question

Greetings again. Flying is going great; well I guess it is always going great when you come home with nothing broken. Question: now I suppose this is a charactoristic of the plane, but it seems to be sluggish with left and right rudder. I have modified the control arm, drilled hole closer to fin, and I am all the way out on the servo, so I think I have enough throw (through ?) I can bank into a turn well, but pulling out seems to take longer then getting in. What should I expect?

-Clayton
Clayton76 is offline Find More Posts by Clayton76
Closed Thread


Thread Tools

Similar Threads
Category Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
The Ultimate Slow Stick Help Thread - Part 6 Ron H Beginner Training Area (Aircraft-Electric) 544 Feb 16, 2005 09:59 AM
The Ultimate Slow Stick Help Thread - Part 5 boomerace Beginner Training Area (Aircraft-Electric) 793 Sep 13, 2004 08:01 AM
The Ultimate Slow Stick Help Thread - Part 4 Martin Hunter Beginner Training Area (Aircraft-Electric) 824 May 31, 2004 01:00 AM
The Ultimate Slow Stick Help Thread - Part 3 Martin Hunter Beginner Training Area (Aircraft-Electric) 639 Apr 11, 2004 11:17 AM
The Ultimate Slow Stick Help Thread - Part 2 Martin Hunter Beginner Training Area (Aircraft-Electric) 565 Feb 17, 2004 10:35 AM