HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Closed Thread
Old Jan 30, 2005, 08:53 AM
my passengers on landing
Rhode Island
Joined Sep 2003
197 Posts
Boomer (or anyone else)
I want to switch away from the GWS props to an APC prop. Is there a rule of thumb for switching diameter and pitch. I seem to remember that it is not just an even swap.

Jack
Cactus1552 is offline Find More Posts by Cactus1552
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 30, 2005, 12:00 PM
Been There! Done That!
Eugene, Oregon, United States
Joined Sep 2001
19,187 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cactus1552
Boomer (or anyone else)
I want to switch away from the GWS props to an APC prop. Is there a rule of thumb for switching diameter and pitch. I seem to remember that it is not just an even swap.

Jack
The only way to be safe is use a power meter to check amp draw however the APC SF prop is not too different from the GWS prop and if you check the motor for heat after a brief flight and then after 5 minutes or more of flight and it's not hot you should be OK!.
boomer
www.boomerseflight.com
boomerace is offline Find More Posts by boomerace
Old Jan 30, 2005, 01:41 PM
Sacramento, CA
Joined Jun 2004
158 Posts
Hey all,

My slowstick motor is making a really bad sound and stoping itself when the prop slows down. Its a skreth that only happens when I cut the power. Once it slows to a certian speed it makes the sound and stop the prop. Then the prop free wheels and does it again. It doesn't seem to be effecting the power of the motor, or over heating it or anything, its annoying more than anything. I'm thinking the prop slows enough to where it gets pushed back downt he shaft (there is a little play) and the big gear rubs on the motor housing and stops it. I was wondering if the its something worse than it seems, or just a common annoyance.

Thanks,
-Burg
600Burger is offline Find More Posts by 600Burger
Old Jan 30, 2005, 03:50 PM
WAA pilot #21
Princeton NJ
Joined Dec 2003
3,166 Posts
Shriek = bad motor. Replace immediately. There are probably some instances where something else would cause a shriek, but its not worth risking your ESC. Test BRIEFLY with the black gear removed (so the prop shaft & gear noise is eliminated)...it is possible that one of the propshaft bearings is seized, but in my experience its usually the motor. If you have one, put a fused Ammeter in-line so that the $.25 fuse blows if it is shorting.
The black gear should be forced back far enough on the splines so that you still have a little axial play but the gear doesnt rub. Sometimes the gears splines loosen up and the gear can slip forwards, but this doesnt sound like your problem.
Vanning is offline Find More Posts by Vanning
Old Jan 30, 2005, 05:41 PM
Whatever happens..Happens
Sanford, Maine, United States
Joined Aug 2004
628 Posts
on a slow stick bipe should the top wing be on top, slightly in back, or slightly infront of the bottom wing?
jswjimmy is offline Find More Posts by jswjimmy
Old Jan 30, 2005, 05:57 PM
Been There! Done That!
Joined Sep 2001
19,187 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jswjimmy
on a slow stick bipe should the top wing be on top, slightly in back, or slightly infront of the bottom wing?
In front I like better. Video on my website!
boomer
www.boomerseflight.com
Old Jan 30, 2005, 06:02 PM
Joined Aug 2004
628 Posts
ok ill post some pictures when im done(or if i get done)
Old Jan 30, 2005, 06:04 PM
Florence Arizona
Joined Dec 2004
247 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by boomerace
Yeah GWS started that BS as they wanted shorter antennas to make the planes prettier! When I get one of those I add to make them 39" I don't just fly circles around myself! If I have a smallish plane I normally use a micro antenna anyway!
boomer
www.boomerseflight.com
Boomer,
FYI I added to the antenna and routed the wire to the tail like you sugested and wha-la! no more range issues!

THANKS!

Flatty

Oh BTW, I went to the Electric fun Fly in Apache Jct. Az today. Wow! We got to see some pro flyers with some giant scale electrics. The Futaba guy was flying a 42% scale plane that must have beed 8 feet long with a 10 foot wing span. It had SIX Hacker brushless motors turning 1 36" prop! He hovered this huge plane inches off the ground! It would then shoot verticle until it was out of site. AWSOME! And yea, there were Slowsticks there too
flatfenderman is offline Find More Posts by flatfenderman
Old Jan 30, 2005, 06:07 PM
Florence Arizona
Joined Dec 2004
247 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 600Burger
Hey all,

My slowstick motor is making a really bad sound and stoping itself when the prop slows down. Its a skreth that only happens when I cut the power. Once it slows to a certian speed it makes the sound and stop the prop. Then the prop free wheels and does it again. It doesn't seem to be effecting the power of the motor, or over heating it or anything, its annoying more than anything. I'm thinking the prop slows enough to where it gets pushed back downt he shaft (there is a little play) and the big gear rubs on the motor housing and stops it. I was wondering if the its something worse than it seems, or just a common annoyance.

Thanks,
-Burg
I had the same thing happen today to a GWS 350 that had only 5 flights on it. It turned out that the front bearing on the motor had wollowed out. I talked to the owner of my favorite LHS and he said it shouldnt have done that and offered to swap it out!
flatfenderman is offline Find More Posts by flatfenderman
Old Jan 30, 2005, 06:28 PM
Joined Aug 2004
628 Posts
is 7.5" between the wings good enough.
Old Jan 30, 2005, 07:33 PM
Been There! Done That!
Joined Sep 2001
19,187 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jswjimmy
is 7.5" between the wings good enough.
Actually the distance should be same as wing cord (12") but that isn't too practical for the SS so I use 9" and it flew fine. If you go too little the wings will interfere with each other on the airflow.
boomer
www.boomerseflight.com
Old Jan 30, 2005, 10:08 PM
Syracuse, NY (USA)
Joined Dec 2004
2,724 Posts
I finally started putting my plane together (married with kids, and not retired!). I used 1/16" basswood between the wing halves - had to sand it thinner to fit. The 30 minute Tower Hobbies Epoxy was starting to stick like mad just after a few minutes - that stuff is STRONG! The dihedral (almost 6") was already pretty much set after only 20 minutes (due to the glue inside the center of the fold).

I bought .125" carbon fiber rods today and sanded one "end" of each rod slightly to fit the alumnium rod/brace. The .125" rods are very stiff - noticeably moreso than the .110" rods, which are also much stiffer than the stock fiberglass rods. I forgot to glue the rods into the tube was my only mistake, but those rods are not going anywhere anyhow with the epoxy slopped all over them.
I almost did not bother using tape on the FE, until I noticed the rods moved when I pressed them. The tape will hold the rods while drying, and longterm the tape can only help.

I did not epoxy the TE tonight - got too tired. I might use the long fiberglass rods under the middle of the wing, unless it seems OK w/o it.

At times, I used a flat screwdriver to get the epoxy off the brush and onto the wing - the stuff was too thick to work easily with, but the fact that it does not "run" much is nice. I have not worked much with epoxy before...

I think I got a steal today - the LHS had a dual 12V/18V output @ 3.5A DC power supply on clearance for $10 (Model Rectifier Corp in Edison, NJ - MRC brand). It is nice and heavy - seems to be excellent quality.
(Edit - Oops , it's 12V AC, not DC)
Block is offline Find More Posts by Block
Last edited by Block; Jan 31, 2005 at 11:19 AM.
Old Jan 31, 2005, 04:02 PM
Joined Aug 2004
628 Posts
wow the bipe slow stick flys good.

Old Feb 01, 2005, 12:08 AM
Zanesville, Ohio
Joined Jan 2004
83 Posts
Building first SS

Well ive started putting my first plane together (SS).

Ive ran into some unclear things in the instructions but with some logic i was able to start over and fix my messups. These instructions are.. bad.

The problem I have at this moment is that im looking at how to attach everything to the plane. In specific the servos dont seem to fit.. whats up with this? here is a picture.

Notice how the holes do not match up.. how do i go about fixing this or am I missing somehting? The instructions dont really help much on attaching this stuff!

Thanks

-R-
kc8tad is online now Find More Posts by kc8tad
Old Feb 01, 2005, 12:17 AM
Been There! Done That!
Joined Sep 2001
19,187 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kc8tad
Well ive started putting my first plane together (SS).

Ive ran into some unclear things in the instructions but with some logic i was able to start over and fix my messups. These instructions are.. bad.

The problem I have at this moment is that im looking at how to attach everything to the plane. In specific the servos dont seem to fit.. whats up with this? here is a picture.

Notice how the holes do not match up.. how do i go about fixing this or am I missing somehting? The instructions dont really help much on attaching this stuff!

Thanks

-R-
If you look close there are some tiny holes and they should fit!
boomer
www.boomerseflight.com
Closed Thread