Closed Thread
Old Jan 23, 2005, 11:53 PM
this space available
Atlanta, GA
Joined Dec 2004
418 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by boomerace
I run the fuse end of my thrust mod stick back to just past the front wing mount and epoxy in place.
I took a look at the diagram on your site Boomer. How do you make that thrust mod stick and out of what? Also, do you shorten the aluminum to keep to stock length?

thanks,
Joe
Joe_Atlanta is offline Find More Posts by Joe_Atlanta
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 24, 2005, 12:16 AM
Been There! Done That!
Eugene, Oregon, United States
Joined Sep 2001
19,187 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe_Atlanta
I took a look at the diagram on your site Boomer. How do you make that thrust mod stick and out of what? Also, do you shorten the aluminum to keep to stock length?

thanks,
Joe
I saw it out of any clear wood (with the grain of course running with the stick) that I have laying around and just stuff it in the front of the fuse with epoxy without shortening anything. After the motor is installed I balance the plane at the CG WITHOUT battery pack by sliding the wing and all around. Then by attaching the battery centered on the CG I can use any size pack I want without adjusting the position of the pack as they all center on the CG and don't change the balance of the plane!
boomer
www.boomerseflight.com
boomerace is offline Find More Posts by boomerace
Old Jan 24, 2005, 02:20 AM
DON'T KILL THE MESSENGER!
Washington DC
Joined Sep 2004
523 Posts
MTM 400F motors with a GWS400 F geared gearbox, running on 12/6 or 12/8. works great also! note you must run a GWS F gear box!
NCQ3 is offline Find More Posts by NCQ3
Old Jan 24, 2005, 09:48 AM
Bishopville S.C.
Joined May 2003
4,057 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jswjimmy
a 350c-c and 1047 prop should give you more thrust but flight times will be shortened.
300c-d prop:EP1260 volts:8.4 amps:8.5 thrust(g):427 watts to prop:71.40

350c-c prop:EP1047 volts:8.4 amps:10.3 thrust(g):470 watts to prop:86.52
Another option is the
350c-D prop:EP1170 volts:8.4 amps:9.1 thrust(g):462 watts:76.44

An 1147 prop will likely produce a bit more thrust on the 350 than the 1170 while drawing less amps than your current setup. For some reason, the charts all seem to skip what appears to be the best prop for 8.4v. It should be safe even at 9.6v as my tests show the 1147 draws less than a 1080 at any voltage on any motor, and produces more thust than an 1170.

Comparing C to D, I'm not so sure those watts all make it to the prop. Note the 10 watt increase for the C, which only provides 8g more thrust. It looks like most of the exta 10 watts are converted to heat.

Now compare both D setups. For only a 5 watt increase, there is a 35g increase in thrust.

Not trying to say the 350c-c+1047 isn't a good combo, just that the D gear looks more efficient for the SS.
Ron H is online now Find More Posts by Ron H
Old Jan 24, 2005, 01:40 PM
Bishopville S.C.
Joined May 2003
4,057 Posts
A recent post using a GBx double for those interested. This motor is cheap if you assemble it. http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...&postcount=105
GB CD-Rom Custom Can Results PART 3

Winding your own motor may seem out of place in the beginner forum, but some may want to tackle it for their first brushless motor due to the low price. And we aren't all beginners anyway. For the SS a double is needed for DD, but a single can out-perfom a 350-400 if used in a gearbox, and is much lighter. Currently, there are only a few threads on the CD rom and gearbox and no drop in mounts are available yet, so some ingenuity is required.

If anyone wants to try it, feel free to pm me for winding/mounting info for the single. I've got one that gives me 21oz. thrust @8 amps on 7 cells.
Old Jan 24, 2005, 01:54 PM
Mississippi
Joined Jul 2000
756 Posts
Hi Guys
I've read conflicting reports today in old threads on motor setups,I ordered a 350C with "D"gear,12x6 and 11x8 props.I'll be using a 7.4 volt 1700 Etec lipo with it.What kind of amp draw will this be??Is it within the motors specs?I got this to get my brother into flying hope I didn't go wrong

thanks
steve
cloudhopper is offline Find More Posts by cloudhopper
Old Jan 24, 2005, 02:21 PM
Bishopville S.C.
Joined May 2003
4,057 Posts
Unfortunately it is. Remember, 7.2v lipos charge to 8.4v and a 1700 will hold voltage well under this load. With an 1147 the motor will last longer. The 1260 will draw less than the 1180, so if you must fly, use it. But go easy on the throttle. Guesstimate 11a wot.
Old Jan 29, 2005, 04:18 PM
Florence Arizona
Joined Dec 2004
247 Posts
GWS RX woes....

I just got a 6 channel GWS RX for my SS. The size and differance from my Hitec 8 channel RX is amazing and the plane flys better with the weight savings, BUT I'm only getting about a 100 yard range B4 it starts glitching. Is this normal or do I have something set up wrong?

Flatty
flatfenderman is offline Find More Posts by flatfenderman
Old Jan 29, 2005, 05:12 PM
Been There! Done That!
Joined Sep 2001
19,187 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by flatfenderman
I just got a 6 channel GWS RX for my SS. The size and differance from my Hitec 8 channel RX is amazing and the plane flys better with the weight savings, BUT I'm only getting about a 100 yard range B4 it starts glitching. Is this normal or do I have something set up wrong?

Flatty
Flatty,
Have you routed the antenna through the center holes in the rear wing mount and taped it to the fin and rudder???
That has been glitch free for me on 11 SS's.
boomer
www.boomerseflight.com
Old Jan 29, 2005, 05:19 PM
Florence Arizona
Joined Dec 2004
247 Posts
Quote:
Flatty,
Have you routed the antenna through the center holes in the rear wing mount and taped it to the fin and rudder???
That has been glitch free for me on 11 SS's.
boomer
www.boomerseflight.com
No...the antenna wire isnt long enough for that. It's currently through the extra control rod hole and then just hanging down... Should I run it out along the wing to keep it away from any metal and possible interferance?

Thanks

Flatty
Old Jan 29, 2005, 05:48 PM
Been There! Done That!
Joined Sep 2001
19,187 Posts
Quote:
No...the antenna wire isnt long enough for that. It's currently through the extra control rod hole and then just hanging down... Should I run it out along the wing to keep it away from any metal and possible interferance?

Thanks

Flatty
Along the wing would be better. Why is the wire so short. All of the 6Ch I have had were plenty long! If it's that short I would add enough so the total antenna is 39" and do a range check!
boomer
www.boomerseflight.com
Old Jan 29, 2005, 06:06 PM
Florence Arizona
Joined Dec 2004
247 Posts
Quote:
Along the wing would be better. Why is the wire so short. All of the 6Ch I have had were plenty long! If it's that short I would add enough so the total antenna is 39" and do a range check!
boomer
www.boomerseflight.com

Just cheked and this is a GWR6N II reciever and the antenna wire is 18" long.
I wonder if the "II" is the difference from yours? I'll try running it out the wing and then will add to it if that dosent work. But it'll have to wait, it's windy and rainey here in Az.

Flatty
Old Jan 29, 2005, 06:25 PM
Been There! Done That!
Joined Sep 2001
19,187 Posts
Quote:
Just cheked and this is a GWR6N II reciever and the antenna wire is 18" long.
I wonder if the "II" is the difference from yours? I'll try running it out the wing and then will add to it if that dosent work. But it'll have to wait, it's windy and rainey here in Az.

Flatty
Yeah GWS started that BS as they wanted shorter antennas to make the planes prettier! When I get one of those I add to make them 39" I don't just fly circles around myself! If I have a smallish plane I normally use a micro antenna anyway!
boomer
www.boomerseflight.com
Old Jan 29, 2005, 08:26 PM
Florence Arizona
Joined Dec 2004
247 Posts
Quote:
Yeah GWS started that BS as they wanted shorter antennas to make the planes prettier! When I get one of those I add to make them 39" I don't just fly circles around myself! If I have a smallish plane I normally use a micro antenna anyway!
boomer
www.boomerseflight.com
I just got a quick flight in right before dark. I let the wire hang below the plane and it seemed to be better. But I was worried about getting the plane to far away from myself with darkness falling. It seemed to be better, but I'm not sure I want to trust it. Did you just use a similar gauge wire to add to your antena, or something in particular?

Flatty
Old Jan 29, 2005, 08:28 PM
Been There! Done That!
Joined Sep 2001
19,187 Posts
Quote:
I just got a quick flight in right before dark. I let the wire hang below the plane and it seemed to be better. But I was worried about getting the plane to far away from myself with darkness falling. It seemed to be better, but I'm not sure I want to trust it. Did you just use a similar gauge wire to add to your antena, or something in particular?

Flatty
As close as you can get to the same.
boomer
www.boomerseflight.com
Closed Thread