HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Closed Thread
Old Feb 16, 2005, 05:19 AM
Boise Gowen Fld, Idaho, United States
Joined Feb 2003
618 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron H
The HD props will produce a similar amount of thrust, yet at higher rpm. This makes them ideal for outrunners. You can get longer flights or prop up for more thrust. This can not be overstressed! The power from an outrunner will never be fully realized until an HD prop is used.
Can u please explain this further. I have been looking for info like this.
I am trying to decide if I should put an outrunner or not on my SS.
fixwingagain is offline Find More Posts by fixwingagain
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 16, 2005, 10:25 AM
Oldie but goodie
United States, CA, Orange
Joined Jun 2003
3,890 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by JC1
Nubee needs help again please.

My SS had 2 very short maiden voyages today. It was very windy and I have some electronic goblins but the SS took off and landed twice with no incidents, only about 20 second flights though. I had an experienced pilot flying the SS or I would not have attempted to put it in the air with 10+ mph winds. I was impressed with the flights in the wind though, even though they were very short.

About my problems: I have a 6 channel receiver, 4 channel Dreamstarter radio, ICS300 ESC, 400 motor and 2S Li-Poly; all GWS components. The motor was cutting out a little when it was in the air. On the bench some weird stuff is going on. With the transmitter turned on and the battery on the SS plugged in I can test the controls and everything seems OK but sometimes the motor and/or servos will just start all by themselves. If I take a butter knife and touch the fuselage the servos will chatter and move and sometimes the motor will start by itself. The receiver only had the 19" antenna so I lengthened that to ~40 3/4" and that did not help. I tried moving the electronics around and even detached all of them from the plane except the servos and set them down underneath including the motor so that no wires were touching or crossing but no change. When the butter knife touches the fuselage and I slowly slide it along the tube the servos chatter and move and sometimes the motor turns on. This is totally puzzling to me. Any ideas?

I would appreciate any assistance that you all could give.

Joe
This is very common in R/C systems where there is any metal to metal contact. Look for someplace where there might be an exposed wire or control rod touching the fuselage. Secondly try a different receiver (if availible).

Let us know what you find out.

Steven
Popsflyer is offline Find More Posts by Popsflyer
Old Feb 16, 2005, 01:06 PM
Just one more plane!
Port Saint Lucie, Florida, United States
Joined Aug 2004
2,537 Posts
Are the plastic parts sold by anyone seperate from buying the whole kit?

Anyone got any links?

John
JWarren is offline Find More Posts by JWarren
Old Feb 16, 2005, 01:13 PM
Been There! Done That!
Eugene, Oregon, United States
Joined Sep 2001
19,187 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by iwadmin
Are the plastic parts sold by anyone seperate from buying the whole kit?

Anyone got any links?

John
Try www.allerc.com
boomer
www.boomerseflight.com
boomerace is offline Find More Posts by boomerace
Old Feb 16, 2005, 01:15 PM
Been There! Done That!
Joined Sep 2001
19,187 Posts
Here's the actual link!
http://www.allerc.com/product_info.p...oducts_id=1440
boomer
Old Feb 16, 2005, 04:29 PM
JMC
Joined Feb 2005
18 Posts
These guys may be closer to you. www.gwsparts.com
JMC is offline Find More Posts by JMC
Old Feb 17, 2005, 07:22 AM
Florence Arizona
Joined Dec 2004
247 Posts
Battery observations

Thought I would post up my experiance with 3 different batterys. When I first got my SS the LHS sold me a GWS 8.4 volt battery. The only charger I had was a left over Hobby Zone 7.2 volt frlom my crashed Areobird Xtreme. When I tried to fly the SS only made it to about 3 feet and would not stay up. Every one here said it was the weak battery so I started using the HUGE 7.2's out of my ABX, one is a 1800 Mah the other a 2800 Mah. After that the SS flew great with 15 minute flight times. Recently I aquired 2 of the GWS 9.6 volt packs (about 1/3 the weight of the ABX batterys) and a Hobico charger. The differece in the flight charactaristics is amazing! I cant believe the power gain and the way the SS floats in for a landing now. With the 9.6 I can climb out of inverted flight instead of having to loop back under and the ROG's are about 3 feet into a steep climb out! I'm having a ball with the new found power.......BUT, I will say that the SS is much easier to fly with the heavier batterys as it responds to the controls better. I'm glad I learned to fly using the heavy batterys, the only down side is the steeper glid path and hotter landing speeds.

Anyway, I hope this info helps someone else.

Chris
flatfenderman is offline Find More Posts by flatfenderman
Old Feb 17, 2005, 09:06 AM
Just one more plane!
Port Saint Lucie, Florida, United States
Joined Aug 2004
2,537 Posts
Thanks for the links guys!

John
JWarren is offline Find More Posts by JWarren
Old Feb 17, 2005, 04:17 PM
Been There! Done That!
Joined Sep 2001
19,187 Posts
Leaving

Please read http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...49#post3338749
boomer
Old Feb 17, 2005, 05:07 PM
WAA pilot #21
Princeton NJ
Joined Dec 2003
3,166 Posts
wha...?

Boomer,...i guess your gone already, but i'll say it anyway - I hope you work it out with them, you will be missed. I believe you were one of the many who set me in the right direction when i started 1 1/2 years ago, and ive read countless threads where you did the same for others.
Keep up the good work - wherever you do it!

Id love to know whats going on here...i guess i can only speculate, but maybe all those thousands of helpful posts and inspiring pictures was clogging up the server. Maybe boomer was warned that adding real, useable, content to a struggling website wasnt in the Business model. Maybe they raised the rates on his Gold Membership - thatd tick me off, being that hes one of maybe 1/2% that actually paid to support a free site.

If im speaking out of school here, please PM or email me & I'll apologize...but i dont like the way this smells....
Vanning is offline Find More Posts by Vanning
Old Feb 17, 2005, 11:50 PM
JC1
Albany, Oregon
Joined Jan 2005
15 Posts
I'll ditto that Vanning. I've only been on this thread for less than a month but in that short amount of time it was more than obvious that Boomer was one of the Kings. As I've been building my SS and researching the bazillion posts about them I always locked on Boomer's posts knowing that the information was right on and most helpful.

Best of luck to him and Thanks for all that he did from a fellow Oregonian.

That said, and with his help I made my first flights today! I knew it was going to be easy after watching my Mentor fly my SS in 10mph winds for 6 minutes with 2 loops...Boy was I wrong. LOL

I had about 5 successful ROG's and about 30-60 second flights. All 5 of those flights used the prop saver on the landing, thank goodness for that thing. Last flight was probably a little longer and a decent landing. Pretty wobbly but it felt good. I think I'm hooked!

Thanks again all for loads of help and I can't say it enough, Thanks BoomerAce, Your the KING!

Joe
JC1 is offline Find More Posts by JC1
Old Feb 18, 2005, 01:29 AM
JC1
Albany, Oregon
Joined Jan 2005
15 Posts
Antenna Information

The antenna that came on my GWS R6N receiver was ~19" long. I had seen the posts that recommended that they should be 39" long ("like they used to make them").

They rest of the story as I've learned is that an antenna typically should be a fraction (usually one-quarter or one-half) of the wavelength of the signal. For 72.39 Meghertz, the one-quarter wavelength turns out to be: 40.779 inches. This can be calculated at the following link:

http://www.csgnetwork.com/freqwavelengthcalc.html

Thought this might be of use.

Joe
JC1 is offline Find More Posts by JC1
Old Feb 18, 2005, 10:28 AM
Rus
Light and variable...
Onalaska, TX
Joined Jul 2004
101 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron H
The HD props will produce a similar amount of thrust, yet at higher rpm. This makes them ideal for outrunners. You can get longer flights or prop up for more thrust. This can not be overstressed! The power from an outrunner will never be fully realized until an HD prop is used.
Best performance on my 3s 2212/34 AXI, so far, comes with a 11x4.7 SF prop. I have never tried a HD prop - which one should I try for more thrust?
Rus is offline Find More Posts by Rus
Old Feb 18, 2005, 11:30 AM
Oldie but goodie
United States, CA, Orange
Joined Jun 2003
3,890 Posts
I have a GWS 12x6 on my Astro 010, 3S1P 1550 pack, 350C "D" ratio. The 12 x 6 gives way more thrust than the 11x4.7 and amp draw is acceptible
Popsflyer is offline Find More Posts by Popsflyer
Old Feb 18, 2005, 01:53 PM
mrX
Columbus, Ohio
Joined Jan 2005
330 Posts
Slowstick Maiden

Maidened my Slowstick today in less than desirable winds. About 5-10 mph (my guess) with some pretty strong gusts. It would take off into the wind in about 5 feet with stock prop and motor (the geared 400), with 8 cell KAN 1050s.

But, alas, the maiden didn't last long. Given the wind, it flew pretty well (better than my Easystar would have). 3 successful landings with no nose-overs. The last time I landed it, it came gently gliding to the ground and just touched down. Nothing that could damage anything for sure. As I walked over to it tho, the vertical stab folded over. There's a crack all along the seam of it, as seen in the pic. Now I have to figure out a way to strenghen that. Any suggestions?

One other question, it seemed to want to point up at 1/2 throttle and climb w/o any elevator. From my COG tests, I have it at the COG recommended. Do I just move the batteries forward to fix this? Or is this the wind?

The white on the wings is duct tape. Figured nothing was stronger.
mrX is offline Find More Posts by mrX
Closed Thread