Closed Thread
Old Feb 08, 2005, 05:34 AM
Flying 3 mistakes high
Melbourne, Australia
Joined Jun 2004
1,522 Posts
SS Motor Mount for CDROM Motor

Hi there,
I was trying to figure out a simple easy to make removeable CDROM motor mount for the SS and came up with this. It only required a drill, hacksaw, file and thread tap.
The mount has worked really well so far.
The motor is a home made CDROM double stator unit.
The aluminium used is cut from a section of electronic heatsink stock.
See photos below:

Cheers,
Glenn.
GlennS is offline Find More Posts by GlennS
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 08, 2005, 09:38 AM
Newby no more!
Memphis, TN
Joined Mar 2003
339 Posts
Simply awsume!!

Great use of found materials!

nice landing bracket too!
beaver newby is offline Find More Posts by beaver newby
Last edited by beaver newby; Feb 08, 2005 at 09:40 AM.
Old Feb 08, 2005, 11:25 AM
Syracuse, NY (USA)
Joined Dec 2004
2,724 Posts
Nice windings also - very neatly done.

It is nice being able to move the landing gear. I noticed if the wheels are larger than the stock wheels, and moved forwards enough, the prop barely (if at all) hits the ground if the plane tips forwards. My wheels are similar to stock, except white, slightly larger, and they have a thin strip of rubber on the edge ("tires"). The rubber helps the wheels grab the ground instead of "skidding". My prop does not touch the ground when the plane tips forwards (less than 90 degrees of course).

I wonder if a block of wood could be clamped onto (below) the landing gear to hold the gear (with an automobile hose clamp).
Block is offline Find More Posts by Block
Old Feb 08, 2005, 04:27 PM
Flying 3 mistakes high
Melbourne, Australia
Joined Jun 2004
1,522 Posts
Thanks Beaver, yeah, it worked out pretty well. Have enough material to make quite a few more.

Block,
The home made landing gear mount replaced the cracked standard one. It only took a couple of bad landings and the stock plastic one was cracked.
In fact the original landing gear dropped off in flight, never to be found
The block of wood and clamp idea would probably work although its not hard to squish the fuse aluminium.
The clamp I am using is simply a strip of 16 gauge aluminum bent into a U shape with a couple of bolts to clamp it at the open end. So far works fine.

Cheers,

Glenn.
GlennS is offline Find More Posts by GlennS
Old Feb 08, 2005, 05:03 PM
Libertas in Infinitum
Houston Ellington, Texas, United States
Joined Feb 2001
312 Posts
I thought I remember reading about an after market wing brace ... does anyone have the link to a vender for that?

thanks
Logan5
logan5 is online now Find More Posts by logan5
Old Feb 08, 2005, 07:40 PM
Syracuse, NY (USA)
Joined Dec 2004
2,724 Posts
tapes at Wal-Mart

I don't recall Wal-Mart carrying this before now - they have 5 rolls of different colored "decorating" tape that should work for decorating the wing and tail. Scotch 3M "Colored Plastic Tape". It looks similar to electrical tape.

http://products3.3m.com/catalog/us/e...er/output_html

I wonder if black Duck tape would strengthen the wing and add visibility. It was hard to tell which way the plane was going at one point!
Old Feb 08, 2005, 07:53 PM
Twist n' Shout!
Joined Nov 2004
1,484 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Block
I don't recall Wal-Mart carrying this before now - they have 5 rolls of different colored "decorating" tape that should work for decorating the wing and tail. Scotch 3M "Colored Plastic Tape". It looks similar to electrical tape. I wonder if black Duck tape would strengthen the wing and add visibility. It was hard to tell which way the plane was going at one point!
I have seen those tapes being sold at stores before..yes they are somewhat like electrical tape almost the same stuff....

And as for duct tape....it would strenthen up the wing...but it would also add tons of weight.....What i use to strenghten peices of my plane up is clear packing tape..its lighter than duct tape, easier to work with, and looks better on the plane if you do a nice job taping....they also make packing tape in many diffrent colors i.e: purple, orange, red, green, brown, black, blue...and many more. Check your lhs for those or go to a office max/office depot.

Happy Flying!

-Duber
Matt Dziubinski is offline Find More Posts by Matt Dziubinski
Old Feb 08, 2005, 08:31 PM
Oldie but goodie
United States, CA, Orange
Joined Jun 2003
3,890 Posts
Brushless in a S.S.

Will the stock GWS 400D gearbox hold up to the power of a 3600KV brushless motor?

If the BL has a 2mm shaft and the stock pinion is 2.3mm x 22T. Where does one find a suitable pinion that will fit the motor?

Thanks,
Steven
Popsflyer is offline Find More Posts by Popsflyer
Old Feb 08, 2005, 09:39 PM
Syracuse, NY (USA)
Joined Dec 2004
2,724 Posts
I tried "everywhere" except OfficeMax for colored packing tape - thanks!
My LHS does not carry rolls of wing tape. I bought 4" by 3' sheets of wing tape from them.
Old Feb 09, 2005, 09:49 AM
Bishopville S.C.
Joined May 2003
3,895 Posts
Popsracer, The 400 gearbox is quite rugged and could handle more power than the SS would ever need. Which motor are you considering? I think most inrunner motors with a 2mm shaft will fit the 300 gearbox.

A 20mm dia. brushless is smaller than a 300, yet will outperform a 400. There are a lot of these on the market now at fair prices considering longivity and power/weight ratio.
This is one I'm using with great results on the SS. http://www.balsapr.com/catalog/motor...ductId=U163570

A few videos in action. The "steelhead wing clip" and "the rest of the clip" are using 2s lipos,The others are 3s. This wing weighs 4oz. more than an unmodded stock wing.
http://www.rcgroups.com/gallery/show...0&ppuser=17312

Several outrunners are available which are designed for gearing in the 400 GB and look good, but the ones I've seen use more current for less thrust and weigh more than what I'm using now. Using D gear,1260,2s=<10amps@20oz thrust. D gear,1147,3s=<10amps@27oz thrust.

Using the 400 on 3s can also give good results. Using an H gearbox and a 1470, I get @24oz thrust at 10 amps. This works very well, but is still no match for the brushless for several reasons.
The motor generates a lot of heat, so it wont last indefinately like the brushless will. The pitch speed is much lower due to the large prop. The pitch speed could be increased by using a smaller prop or different gearing, but the thrust drops too. A 20mm BL weighs a lot less than a 400, so less power is needed to stay airborne and you can float around longer and climb faster.
Ron H is online now Find More Posts by Ron H
Old Feb 09, 2005, 11:50 AM
Oldie but goodie
Joined Jun 2003
3,890 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron H
Popsracer,
The 400 gearbox is quite rugged and could handle more power than the SS would ever need. Which motor are you considering? I think most inrunner motors with a 2mm shaft will fit the 300 gearbox.
The Astro 010H (2mm shaft), advertised 3600kv. I am going to try and find a 300 "D" gearbox locally as my research says that this should work perfectly. I'll just save the 400 "D" box for a spare.

Thanks,
Steven
Old Feb 09, 2005, 11:57 AM
Been There! Done That!
Eugene, Oregon, United States
Joined Sep 2001
19,187 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Popsracer
The Astro 010H (2mm shaft), advertised 3600kv. I am going to try and find a 300 "D" gearbox locally as my research says that this should work perfectly. I'll just save the 400 "D" box for a spare.

Thanks,
Steven
The Astro 010 needs the GB enlarged slightly or it won't fit. www.parkflyermotors.com used to stock them. You might check or better yet get the new one in the aluminum GWS type GB. Check Astro's site.
boomer
www.boomerseflight.com
boomerace is offline Find More Posts by boomerace
Old Feb 09, 2005, 12:29 PM
Bishopville S.C.
Joined May 2003
3,895 Posts
Boomer, the ESC got here pretty darn quick for snail mail. Is this the one?
http://www.astroflight.com/e/env/000...roducts:af-202

Just trying to get some specs. If it is, I feel a late trade is in order. I'm playing with the CD motors now, and have a couple suitable for the SS, but nothing like what you are accustomed to. If I ever get a GBX2 right, it's in the mail. Or maybe you would prefer a 12 pole stator good for 100 amps @11.1v?
Ron H is online now Find More Posts by Ron H
Old Feb 09, 2005, 01:51 PM
Been There! Done That!
Eugene, Oregon, United States
Joined Sep 2001
19,187 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron H
Boomer, the ESC got here pretty darn quick for snail mail. Is this the one?
http://www.astroflight.com/e/env/000...roducts:af-202

Just trying to get some specs. If it is, I feel a late trade is in order. I'm playing with the CD motors now, and have a couple suitable for the SS, but nothing like what you are accustomed to. If I ever get a GBX2 right, it's in the mail. Or maybe you would prefer a 12 pole stator good for 100 amps @11.1v?
Ron,
That is the one only a earlier version. It was not setup to be programable but was Castle's default setup slanted toward up to 10 cells which the 020 liked. I have run it at 19A and it is good for 25 with higher bursts.
boomer
[url]www.boomerseflight.com[/url
boomerace is offline Find More Posts by boomerace
Last edited by boomerace; Feb 09, 2005 at 04:44 PM.
Old Feb 09, 2005, 07:46 PM
Oldie but goodie
Joined Jun 2003
3,890 Posts
Guys;

Ran down to the LHS today and picked up a GWS 350 "D" ratio box. The Astro 010H fits right in. Just had to slightly elongate the holes for the motor screws. Pinion was a loose fit (as drop on), but some Red threadlock cured that. A dry run with a 11x4.5 SF showed 4.5amps on the wattmeter. Looks like a 11x7 or 12x6 might be the hot ticket.

Now comes the fun part, trying to get everything to balance again. The S.S. instructions call for 3-3/4" back (from L.E.) with the 400. The 150 and 300 call for 4-1/8" back.

The Astro is WAY lighter than the stock 400 but more powerful, so where should I set the CG at?

Also to balance, should I keep the battery pack under the wing and just keep moving stuff back until it CG's ok?

Thanks,
Steven
Last edited by Popsracer; Feb 09, 2005 at 08:00 PM.
Closed Thread