SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Jan 21, 2005, 01:01 AM
Seoul Korea
Joined Jan 2005
11 Posts
Any large size sailboat ??

Hi, all~

I try to find a large size sailboat, more than 36 inches hull.
Actually, Kyosho seawind is not bad but too small I think.

Is there any one know where I can find any large boat?
Bestlifter is offline Find More Posts by Bestlifter
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 21, 2005, 09:31 AM
McAlester
Joined Nov 2004
1,370 Posts
Bestlifter,
Check out the 'AMYA' site. There are a couple of 'large' class of sail boats. I haven't seen any that were 'RTR', you'd have to build them, but that's half the fun anyway. I think one of those 'classes' is the "M" class? Don't know about you, but I'd need a trailer to haul the things - LOL...
- 'Doc
LtDoc is offline Find More Posts by LtDoc
Old Jan 21, 2005, 12:05 PM
Steinbach, MB, Canada
Joined Nov 2004
394 Posts
Lots of kits out there all fibergalss hulls

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bestlifter
Hi, all~

I try to find a large size sailboat, more than 36 inches hull.
Actually, Kyosho seawind is not bad but too small I think.

Is there any one know where I can find any large boat?
Hi Bestlifter, There are many kits available and I will try to provide some site links but aside from the kits there are some manufacturers of hulls such as the Soling 50 (50 inch hull). I do not know where you live but if in North America, I would suggest that you check out www.amya.org site for clubs near to you and go see what they are sailing before making your decision. It makes no sense to buy something that no one else has and then have no one to race against, kinda like me...suppliers of kits:
www.modelyachting.com (George Riberio)
www.gbmy.com (Don Ginter - supplier of 1M kits and many many fittings)
www.myrc.org/blacksails.htm (Chuck Black - does make hulls as well but must request)
www.myrc.org/bobsterne.htm (Bob Stern - many different sized hulls/kits)
and finally, this one I only have phone number and e-mail for and am not sure if he is still making hulls, Dwight Hartman, Hartman Fiberglass, ph. (217)795-2275, e-mail dhartmanrc@earthlink.net
If you are looking for one of the fastest of Marblehead 50/800 boats then look on the net for Waliki Scalpel, note these are extremely expensive and are in Europe.
Hope I am of assistance. Happy sailing
Sackie is offline Find More Posts by Sackie
Old Jan 21, 2005, 02:12 PM
Wilsonville, OR, USA
Joined Mar 2000
792 Posts
On the AMYA website look for the "About the Boats" link at the top of the page to see all the sizes compared. This page has lots of pictures and is slow to load. For more information on any of those classes go to the Class page. Most of the classes mentioned are typically not from high volume kit manufacturers like Kyosho.

One meter boats are a popular size worldwide. One more supplier in the States with several one meter kits and one 50" kit is http://www.victor-model.com/.
Keith Watson is offline Find More Posts by Keith Watson
Old Jan 21, 2005, 03:08 PM
Joined Jan 2005
49 Posts
Check out the EC 12

Check out the EC 12. I don't think you will find a more organized, spirited, helpful group. Go to www.EC12.com. Look around the site and at the supplier, regatta and such as well as the pictures of regattas.

I just joined and I glad I chose this class.

Good Luck

John
John Ebell is offline Find More Posts by John Ebell
Old Feb 16, 2005, 02:12 AM
Seoul Korea
Joined Jan 2005
11 Posts
Thank for your kind replies. ^__^
It's very helpful.
The Big is the better but lots of bullet!! -_-
Bestlifter is offline Find More Posts by Bestlifter
Old Feb 24, 2005, 04:03 PM
Joined Feb 2005
1 Posts
Large Scale Sailboats

I was given a model of the Dragen from Billings boats about two years ago and found that it's just not suited for RC very well. I really wanted an RC sailboat so I took the lines from that model and scaled them up to 60 inches. Built with 1/8" Ash formers and Hemlock strips ripped to 3/16 thick by 3/8 high the assembly went really smooth. I used the completed wood hull in the bathtub to calculate the ballast. Came in at about 12 pounds of lead. I made a "lost wax" casting for the keel and epoxied it to the stump. After a coat of glass and varathane (regular polyester resin is not waterproof) it seems to be a very nice boat.
Currently I am in the process of collecting the "guts" and have ran into a money issue.

I really need a large sail winch and have tossed around the notion of converting a standard servo to run continuously. Don't know if this will be strong enough for the sail area.

Oh... the mast and boom were built up from Oak strips and made very much the same as the ral world "Petrel" mast that me and my father built oh so many years ago.

I am not unwilling to share my plans if there are folks that would like to swap some stuff. What I have for plans is really basic and just enough to get into real trouble. I'm new into boats and have no "bits" laying aound to dig through for rigging and such.
JC Anderson is offline Find More Posts by JC Anderson
Old Feb 28, 2005, 04:00 PM
Texas
Joined Jan 2005
87 Posts
Bestlifter - Check out http://www.ludwigrcyachts.com/ for some larger size boats.
I just spent yesterday afternoon sailing one of their EC-12 yachts and it was a delight. At 58" it's a sizeable boat for sure but not a monster. No problem taking in a car with the mast off.

EC-12s are beautiful boats and give more speed on less wind than most anything out there. Right now Ludwig Yachts are selling at a bargain price as he was just recently certified by the AMYA to build them.

Good chance for everyone to pick up a fiberglass EC-12 worth the money. Good sailing.
SkyJim is offline Find More Posts by SkyJim
Old Mar 06, 2005, 01:04 PM
Hobby King Hater
USA
Joined Mar 2005
4,444 Posts
Hi!!

I am new here!! I love playing with the RC sailboats my husband builds!!

We have a 62.5" model of an Ensenada 25!! The real boat, built by my
husband in the early 80's, was lost to a storm in 1992!! The model was
built from the full size plans!!

The model stands near 9' on the stand and weights over 50lbs!!

I will try to find a photo and post it later!! Ok??

We also have a Star 45, we race with a local club!!

My husband has been sailing since 1949 and doing RC since 1955!! He lived
on a Gulfstar 41 for 17 years and has 2 solo RTWs!!

Kimberle'Mare'
Kimber is offline Find More Posts by Kimber
Old Mar 07, 2005, 11:53 AM
Steinbach, MB, Canada
Joined Nov 2004
394 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by JC Anderson
I was given a model of the Dragen from Billings boats about two years ago and found that it's just not suited for RC very well. I really wanted an RC sailboat so I took the lines from that model and scaled them up to 60 inches. Built with 1/8" Ash formers and Hemlock strips ripped to 3/16 thick by 3/8 high the assembly went really smooth. I used the completed wood hull in the bathtub to calculate the ballast. Came in at about 12 pounds of lead. I made a "lost wax" casting for the keel and epoxied it to the stump. After a coat of glass and varathane (regular polyester resin is not waterproof) it seems to be a very nice boat.
Currently I am in the process of collecting the "guts" and have ran into a money issue.

I really need a large sail winch and have tossed around the notion of converting a standard servo to run continuously. Don't know if this will be strong enough for the sail area.

Oh... the mast and boom were built up from Oak strips and made very much the same as the ral world "Petrel" mast that me and my father built oh so many years ago.

I am not unwilling to share my plans if there are folks that would like to swap some stuff. What I have for plans is really basic and just enough to get into real trouble. I'm new into boats and have no "bits" laying aound to dig through for rigging and such.
Hi there JC, first suggestion regarding rigging and such fittings, if you are looking to purchase contact Don Ginter at www.gbmy.com, prompt shipping and good prices.
Regarding the winch idea you had, depending on your funding I would truly suggest that you look at the Hitec 815BB sail arm servo with an enormous strength, something around 200 ozs. If you have the drive and technical expertize then by all means continue with you idea but given the low prices of the new stock of sail arm servos I would suggest that you seriously consider them. The hitec web site is http://www.hitecrcd.com/product_fs.htm.
Note it is hitecrcd!!!! otherwise you may be at a different site.
Good luck and happy sailing.
Sackie is offline Find More Posts by Sackie