SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Jan 21, 2005, 12:03 AM
Eagle River, Alaska
Joined Aug 2004
214 Posts
Eagle River, Alaska, Bad ending.

Went for a few shots over Downtown Eagle River the other day. The temp was about 15F. All was well until returning for landing. The Wingo went into a dive and would not recover. The search was unsuccessful, and it was getting dark. I put the SlowStick aloft with a camera to take video. But it was already too dark.

http://www.mtaonline.net/~bwolv/Wingo%20Search.wmv

I returned today to conduct further search. Although the camera battery died prematurely, the second day's video was successful. Look at frame time 00:32

http://www.mtaonline.net/~bwolv/Searchday2.wmv

The wreckage was recovered from atop the cinemaplex roof thanks to a friendly employee. Initial analysis indicates the elevator hinge foamy tape may have allowed the elevator to separate in flight. Perhaps caused or exacerbated by the low temps. In addition, the cold temps cause components to shatter on impact. Including the camera.
bwolv is offline Find More Posts by bwolv
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 21, 2005, 12:06 AM
Eagle River, Alaska
Joined Aug 2004
214 Posts
More Pics
Old Jan 21, 2005, 12:18 AM
Joined Jan 2003
1,421 Posts
For clarification . . were the posted images taken by the recovered Wingo camera?
aeropal is offline Find More Posts by aeropal
Old Jan 21, 2005, 12:21 AM
Eagle River, Alaska
Joined Aug 2004
214 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by aeropal
For clarification . . were the posted images taken by the recovered Wingo camera?
Yes, the stills were taken by the doomed Wingo. The videos taken by a search SlowStick.
Last edited by bwolv; Jan 21, 2005 at 12:36 AM.
Old Jan 21, 2005, 09:38 AM
North East
Joined Nov 2001
1,198 Posts
Fear not about your Wingo, there's plenty of material to replace it nose with. Look at mine:
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...9&page=2&pp=15
HIGHFLYER99 is offline Find More Posts by HIGHFLYER99
Old Jan 21, 2005, 09:52 AM
Restful User
Backwoods Alabama
Joined May 2000
3,861 Posts
Of course you know to be very, very, very careful with that crunched Lipo pack...

--Bill
Jacques Flambeau is offline Find More Posts by Jacques Flambeau
Old Jan 21, 2005, 10:56 AM
In Thrust We Trust
Norfolk Intl, Virginia, United States
Joined Jul 2004
1,660 Posts
Sorry to hear about the damage. Cold will stop Lipo's dead in the air, make all gluey surfaces brittle, and make things mysteriously break in mid-air. I gave up flying in any thing below freezing temps with my camera for that reason. You can frostproof your plane by wrapping the battery in foam, using solid hinges, and epoxy anything questionable. Wrap the esc and reciever in saran wrap for snow protection while your at it. Shorten your flights too. Up North, you don't have alot of options for above freezing days. However, our friends in Canada have lots of tricks and ideas. Maybe they will chime in. Or do a search in "Waterplanes" on water and cold proofing, lots of Northern pilots there. Good luck.
WaterDog is offline Find More Posts by WaterDog
Old Jan 21, 2005, 11:58 AM
Peakaboo!
Sakinee, Canada
Joined Sep 2004
1,388 Posts
All I can say is that my NiMH pack just can't maintain my planes in the air in winter, while my NiCad is OK. My packs are inside the fuselage all the time, so they do not suffer that much from the cold wind and the snow.
Gwelan is offline Find More Posts by Gwelan
Last edited by Gwelan; Jan 21, 2005 at 12:03 PM.
Old Jan 21, 2005, 12:25 PM
Northern Ireland, UK
Joined May 2004
189 Posts
Did you check the LiPo pack thoroughly before bringing it back inside? Looks pretty mashed up to me
netsurfer is offline Find More Posts by netsurfer
Old Jan 21, 2005, 02:10 PM
RCAPA #14
United States, TX, Wimberley
Joined Mar 2004
1,915 Posts
Sorry for you loss man!... Looking at the brighter side, Your video system seems to be pretty nice... I didnt see any drop out... Was is live or recorded into a higher end digital camera's video mode?... Also resolution was pretty good in the low light conditions... What are you using???

Myron
Myron is offline Find More Posts by Myron
Old Jan 21, 2005, 02:23 PM
Eagle River, Alaska
Joined Aug 2004
214 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by HIGHFLYER99
Fear not about your Wingo, there's plenty of material to replace it nose with. Look at mine:
That's Great! I love that Wingo Highflyer 99!!! I'm going to use it for the rebuild model!!! It's a classic!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Myron
Sorry for you loss man!... Looking at the brighter side, Your video system seems to be pretty nice... I didnt see any drop out... Was is live or recorded into a higher end digital camera's video mode?... Also resolution was pretty good in the low light conditions... What are you using???

Myron
The video's were taken with an HP digital camera. I can't recall the model number, but I think it's 3 MP. It does pretty good on the videos, but for stills it has nearly 10 second recycle time. To slow for AP work. It was about $100 as I recall. The Samsung was about $115. (shot)

Yah, I'm careful with the Lipo, it was over 24 hours before I recovered the wreckage. But the servos were jittering as I began picking up the pieces...!
Old Jan 21, 2005, 03:26 PM
Joined Jul 2004
3,772 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bwolv
Yah, I'm careful with the Lipo
Don't be carefull with it, get rid of it, that thing's a fire waiting to happen.
Usta Bee is online now Find More Posts by Usta Bee