HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 20, 2005, 09:01 PM
FPV FTW
Austin, TX
Joined Dec 2004
157 Posts
Honey Bee 2 Yo-yo problems

Alright, I have successfully hovered my honey bee 2 for a whole pack and it is great. I go and hover it today and all of a sudden - the yo-yo problem that I have read so much about has started. I have not wrecked it or even had a rough landing. So I have a few questions about this after reading Aerohawks Esky CP thread about this problem.

1) This appears to be a seperating swashplate issue. Correct?

2) Will the expensive ($80 aluminum swashplate) fix this problem?

3) Does that plastic part in the head have to be sanded down?
logicwins is offline Find More Posts by logicwins
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 20, 2005, 09:13 PM
Its all fun
Australia, NSW, Forster
Joined Oct 2004
7,177 Posts
From what I have read....
1) No, it isn't the swashplate
2) See above
3) The issue seems to be due to excessive friction of the part sliding up the head to change pitch. Various attempts have been made to lessen this friction. Aerohark appears to be having the most success dealing with the issue.

Hope this helps
Tonystott is online now Find More Posts by Tonystott
Old Jan 20, 2005, 09:50 PM
micro mechanic
Oz, Kansas
Joined May 2004
2,303 Posts
when I notice strange handling,I take the head completely apart,make sure it is true,and PACK the pitch slider and flybar slot with heavy lithium axle grease.

I usually get about 10-15 flights before re-greasing(by that time,I usually need to straighten the shaft,too).

I still dont notice any porpoising(did I spell that right ),just gets sluggish on the cyclic.
aerohawk1 is offline Find More Posts by aerohawk1
Old Jan 21, 2005, 08:02 AM
FPV FTW
Austin, TX
Joined Dec 2004
157 Posts
What is the best way to take apart the head? I feel like im going to break it.. Any pointers on getting the thing apart? What tools do you use? Aerohawk1 - you are a guru.
logicwins is offline Find More Posts by logicwins
Old Jan 21, 2005, 09:54 AM
United States, CA, Baldwin Park
Joined Jun 2004
2,059 Posts
When i had to replace my head witha new one i notice that the head had alot of play. Just take some fine grit sandpaper and sand down the head. No problems after that
TonyTypeS is offline Find More Posts by TonyTypeS
Old Jan 21, 2005, 02:08 PM
micro mechanic
Oz, Kansas
Joined May 2004
2,303 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by logicwins
What is the best way to take apart the head? I feel like im going to break it.. Any pointers on getting the thing apart? What tools do you use? Aerohawk1 - you are a guru.
be firm,but gentle...

remove blades first,then flybar,disconnect pitch links(oval ones) from swash(no easy way to do this,though I use a flat,wide screwdriver placed between the two and give a firm twist).

remove pin,remove head.

disconnect pitch links(threaded) from blade grips.
unscrew blade grips...thats the jist of it
aerohawk1 is offline Find More Posts by aerohawk1
Old Jan 21, 2005, 08:46 PM
Melbourne Australia
Joined May 2003
5,263 Posts
i'm working on the theory that the yoyoing is caused by the flybar rubbing on the inside of the pitch slider causing sticking. I've packed it with lithium grease, but it didn't fix it. I've only just finished rebuilding my esky after shelving it for a while.

Try sanding the inside of the pitch slider (ie the slot that the flybar goes through) so it's as smooth as possible, then grease it as Aero suggests.

That's what i've done and will be testing it soon. Hopefully that fixes it.
OzzieFlyer is offline Find More Posts by OzzieFlyer
Old Jan 21, 2005, 10:51 PM
United States, CA, Baldwin Park
Joined Jun 2004
2,059 Posts
Ozzie
Used a metal nail filer to sand the inside of the pitch slider where the flybar goes through. Works like a charm. Took about 5 mins to get everthing working freely. Just thought I share it with you guys. I finally went to brushless setup with mines. I can get rock solid hovers and no yo yoin problems. My head speed is way over 2000. Too bad I sold it last week. Moving on to T-Rex. I spent countless hours on the honeybee to fix the problems. Got it working rite then one of my flying buddies wanted to buy my heli so I sold it to him. BTW i used the century hummingbird full semi main blades and FFF was amazing. I think these blades flew way better than the stock blades that came with the heli.
TonyTypeS is offline Find More Posts by TonyTypeS
Last edited by TonyTypeS; Jan 21, 2005 at 10:54 PM.