HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Mar 11, 2002, 07:53 PM
Markle, In. US
Joined Oct 2000
196 Posts
CR-2 lithiums with RFS-100

I was wondering if anyone is powering their planes with a CR-2. I lightened one down to 10.5 grams. Its on my RFS-100 design. Total weight with direct drive KP-00 motor is 26.3 grams. I'm under an ounce, hehe. Gonna test drive it tomorrow. Will give a flight report. Hopefully with the 75 sqin of wing area it will fly pretty slow. Any thoughts on the CR-2 though. I know they are not rechargeable but seems like a good alternative to rechargeables with comparable weights.
fritts is offline Find More Posts by fritts
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 12, 2002, 03:22 PM
Markle, In. US
Joined Oct 2000
196 Posts
Just to let you know I'm running the KP00 motor direct drive to a B2 prop, all powered by the CR2 lithium. I only got to fly for about 5 minutes,didn't have time for more flying so there is more in the battery. Controls were very responsive, flew with athority at 2/3 throttle. Mainly just circle patterns tightest circle was around 25 foot, mainly do to the wind and being on the street. I am very pleased with results though. Flew at about a fast walking pace against the wind much faster with the wind. I am going to work on getting it inside and see how well it handles.
CR-2 should be able to run for 45 minutes on 2/3 throttle, how about that for a flight. To bad they aren't rechargeable, or at least I won't recharge them.
Old Mar 12, 2002, 06:30 PM
high-speed freak
San Jose, CA
Joined Sep 2001
3,863 Posts
well, there were murmurs that you could stuff charge back into it, but I wouldn't recommend it and any info about it will be swiftly deleted by the ezone ss (hi guys! ) it's not worth the effort or the risk, really. I remember these being sold very cheap on ebay. dave lewis has recommended them to me in the past, and the in the startlite it's a recommended battery (rc microflight).
opualuan is offline Find More Posts by opualuan
Old Mar 19, 2002, 10:38 AM
Bayville, New York
Joined Jun 2001
126 Posts
Hey Guy's,
I'm thinking of using the CR2 for the RFS-100 system and was wondering... since it's my first try at Lithium Batt.'s can you just solder leads to them? I wasn't sure if this was ill advised or if I should just tape them on? Thanks.
Brandon
Taniwha314 is offline Find More Posts by Taniwha314
Old Mar 19, 2002, 10:57 AM
in persuit of low wing loading
Boston, Mass
Joined May 2001
6,409 Posts
Ryan,
I've wondered about this battery. Do you remember off hand its voltage? Also, my 3-cell 120 NiMH pack with shrink wrap and JST wire and plug weighs 11.7g (I could probably lighten this a bit more). So, what do we get from a CR-2 other than really long flight times and almosta gram less weight? If it has more volts, that's a plus. If it can't supply as many amps, that's a minus (although your flight performance suggests that's not the case). Anyway, I don't even own one of these. I do have a smaller Lithium on my workbench that does weigh less and I've been thinking of trying it on a static test compared to NiCd and NiMH packs. Just haven't gotten around to it yet.
Gordon Johnson is offline Find More Posts by Gordon Johnson
Old Mar 19, 2002, 11:24 AM
high-speed freak
San Jose, CA
Joined Sep 2001
3,863 Posts
cr-2 should be 3-3.6v, can't remmeber which for non-rechargeables... it's useful up to an amp. would probably be a good match for the rffs with long flight times, anyone know of someone selling a crate of them on ebay, as they are non-rechargeable?
opualuan is offline Find More Posts by opualuan
Old Mar 19, 2002, 11:35 AM
Markle, In. US
Joined Oct 2000
196 Posts
The CR-2's are good up to about an amp from what I have heard. I believe this to be true from the way the plane flies too. The voltage on the CR-2's is 3 volts. I just thought I would check out another option for powering these planes. Since I used this with the tyco/echargers plane I made. It flew but not all that well. I mainly to do with the bang bang type control you got with the tyco reciever. The CR-2's have like 650mah to them too.