SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Jan 19, 2005, 02:44 PM
Foamphobic
Laguna Beach, Ca
Joined Dec 2003
416 Posts
B-2 mixing question

I just got a B-2. Cool plane. I'm almost done with the build and have a question...excuse me if it sounds silly to most of you but this is my first experience with an airplane that does not have the typical aileron/elevator/rudder configuration.

In the manual there's reference to a V-tail mixer device, which I don't have. However, what I do have is a Hitec Flash 5 radio that according to its manual has some mixing functions. Would I be able to bypass the mixing device specified by GWS with the A/E mixing done directly from my computer radio?

I'm not using the steerable nose gear.

It also came with the EDF-55 power plant. Will I be able to use 3s1p 1500 lipos?....all I have...thanks in advance

DD
doublesixes is offline Find More Posts by doublesixes
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 19, 2005, 04:29 PM
But it wasnt like that b4
Melbourne, Australia
Joined Aug 2004
186 Posts
The "elevon" function in the Hitec will do the mixing for you. The instructions on how to do it are near the back of the manual.

Using a 3s pack on the standard motors will burn them out in no time.
The RC Rat is offline Find More Posts by The RC Rat
Old Jan 20, 2005, 10:31 AM
Foamphobic
Laguna Beach, Ca
Joined Dec 2003
416 Posts
Thanks Rat,
I finished the plane last night and it's ready for maiden. I was able to program the elevon function and everything works fine. As far as batteries go, it's a shame these motors can't take the juice from the 3s lipos. 2s seems low. I'm reluctant to go back to 8 cell, old technology. I have a few laying around. It's a good thing I didn't throw them way.
Old Jan 20, 2005, 04:08 PM
But it wasnt like that b4
Melbourne, Australia
Joined Aug 2004
186 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by doublesixes
Thanks Rat,
I finished the plane last night and it's ready for maiden. I was able to program the elevon function and everything works fine. As far as batteries go, it's a shame these motors can't take the juice from the 3s lipos. 2s seems low. I'm reluctant to go back to 8 cell, old technology. I have a few laying around. It's a good thing I didn't throw them way.
Cool! Let us know how it goes
The RC Rat is offline Find More Posts by The RC Rat
Old Jan 21, 2005, 04:56 AM
Houng-wen Lin
Shijr, Taiwan. DungGwan, China. City of Industry, California.
Joined Sep 2001
19,445 Posts
A GWS V-tail mixer will help, in case of you do not have the mixer function on your TX.

http://www.gws.com.tw/english/produc...uit/vtail2.htm
GWS4CEO is offline Find More Posts by GWS4CEO
Old Jan 21, 2005, 08:55 PM
Rem The Wasp CV-7 9/15/42
Santa Clarita,CA
Joined Apr 2004
1,685 Posts
SO will this thing fly on the edf-55 150 with 2s lipo. Seems sort of low on thrust. I was thinking of putting a 3s in and limiting the throttle channel via epa to around 10 volts or so. I plan on handlaunching to save the weight of the gear but am worried about the little stabs on the bottom. Has anyone flown this thing? I never can find much info about it on here. Looks to have nice washout so maybe it wont be a tipstaller special.
SammyB is offline Find More Posts by SammyB
Old Jan 22, 2005, 11:41 PM
Santa Clarita,CA
Joined Apr 2004
1,685 Posts
well..going to maiden tomorrow. We'll see
Old Jan 23, 2005, 09:49 AM
Houng-wen Lin
Shijr, Taiwan. DungGwan, China. City of Industry, California.
Joined Sep 2001
19,445 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SammyB
well..going to maiden tomorrow. We'll see
Good luck to you, wish that you will have a sucessful maiden.
GWS4CEO is offline Find More Posts by GWS4CEO
Old Jan 23, 2005, 08:48 PM
Foamphobic
Laguna Beach, Ca
Joined Dec 2003
416 Posts
I just couldn't get the B-2 airborne so kinda gave up on it and went to the LHS and got the Slope Glider version of the A-10. Installed the EDF55 150's on the A-10. I used a 2s1p pack and the plane crashed dur to lack of climbing authority. I think I will take a chance and see if I can get a few flights with my 3s packs...as is, the plane is just good to look at but nothing more.
Old Jan 23, 2005, 08:54 PM
Foamphobic
Laguna Beach, Ca
Joined Dec 2003
416 Posts
Thanks Mr Lin for the info on tail mixers. I was able to use program my Flash 5 computer radio to use elevons.
Old Jan 23, 2005, 10:57 PM
Santa Clarita,CA
Joined Apr 2004
1,685 Posts
Mr Lin, as usual, thank you for posting in these forums. It makes me feel good to know the ceo of a multi million dollar company can be contacted directly and will provide information. Unfortunately, my B-2 didnt do so well. It made constant left hand turns. Even with a lot of right trim. Then would wobble and do some very strange flat-spin/stall thing that was hard to recover. Looks like I will be pulling the fans out for another project and throwing this one away. Or maybe hang it from the garage ceiling because it does look pretty cool. I was very under spec on weight too. Came out to 13.5 oz ready to fly. Anyone else have this problem? I am a pretty good pilot I think but I was barely hanging on to this thing.
Old Jan 24, 2005, 01:29 PM
Foamphobic
Laguna Beach, Ca
Joined Dec 2003
416 Posts
Sammy,
I will be attempting some flying today with my A-10 (edf55 150'a) on 3s1p Kokams. I'm eager to see if the Thunderbolt can at least fly at scale speeds. The plane is really good looking...now if she could only fly...
Old Jan 24, 2005, 05:35 PM
Santa Clarita,CA
Joined Apr 2004
1,685 Posts
Flew itn again today on a 3s pack and it made a huge difference as far as launching and cruising around. It just wants to make continuos left hand turns. If you feed in right stick to counteract it, it them starts shaking and rocking and will go into a stall spin if you keep adding right stick. If you add the right amount....it will fly sideways...as in yaw. I think the adeverse yaw is the problem. Anyone else have this problem? I should have cut the power to see if that helped. Flight ended in usual nose in crash. Not giving up yet. Going to make some large vertical stabs from clear plastic and see if that helps.
Old Jan 24, 2005, 08:18 PM
Foamphobic
Laguna Beach, Ca
Joined Dec 2003
416 Posts
Well, I tried the 3s pack...the plane flies really very nice!...I'm impressed...it's very scale like flying, which I appreciate...I just wish the motors can take the extra power.....I give it full power on hand launch and then throttle back to about 1/4 stick...and there's plenty of power to do anjoyable flights.
Oh...i reinforces the fuel tanks and the bottom part of the rudders since I'm not using LG, with ribbed tape.
Old Jan 24, 2005, 08:43 PM
Santa Clarita,CA
Joined Apr 2004
1,685 Posts
looks really nice. My B-2 was able to fly at 1/4 throttle also.