HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 19, 2005, 03:07 AM
The original Flying Pigs Sqd.
Netanya, Israel
Joined Aug 2002
9,952 Posts
3M Hinge Tape

Somebody posted some time ago that he used a certain type of 3M tape for his hinges.

I tried a search for "3M Hinge Tape" and got a quadrazillion hits with "hinge" and "tape". It'll take me a year to sift through these.

Does anybody know what 3M tape that was?
Up&Away is online now Find More Posts by Up&Away
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 19, 2005, 03:57 AM
Tampere, Finland
Joined Nov 2004
4,183 Posts
Did you try the "Advanced search" (for an exact phrase)?
What you need depends on what you want to do. I think many use ordinary clear packing tape. What I find in the hardware stores is usually about 3 to 5 cm wide (inch or two). Germans seem to go for the Tesa brand. On very light planes, office-type tapes may be enough.

PM
perttime is offline Find More Posts by perttime
Old Jan 19, 2005, 05:10 AM
United States, FL, Melbourne Beach
Joined Dec 2003
430 Posts
Blenderm

Dubro is marking it "Hinge Tape". It's just 3M Blenderm, a medical tape. Buy it at a drug store for 1/3 what it costs at a hobby shop. I used it on a Potensky Eagle and found it to be very light, very soft and flexible. It started to lift off after only one day and I used a covering iron on the lowest heat to re-seal it. After about ten flights on the Eagle, more like pattern/aerobatic than 3D, the soft tape had stretched to the point that there was a lot of slop in the control surfaces. I gave up and replaced the tape with micro-hinges. It would probably work well for a very light, 3D profile, but I felt it was just not strong enough for what I needed.
darrell_f is offline Find More Posts by darrell_f
Old Jan 19, 2005, 05:41 AM
Newbury Park, California
Joined Apr 2002
651 Posts
Up&Away:

I have used a number of tapes to hinge my models, including my foamy wings. I beleive the best to be ordinary 3M clear tape. This is the stuff you can find (at least here in the states) at any office supply store. It has a rather aggressive adhesive, is very tough and does well in the sun. I have been using it exclusively for almost three years and it has never failed: It hasn't turned yellow. It hasn't 'let-go'. It hasn't cracked or gotten hard. It is not damaged by a covering iron.

I use two layers, one top & one bottom & have an application technique that ensures that the hinge line is straight and flat. Two of my planes frequently exceed 100 mph (Wedgie & eZipper) with no signs of flutter.

Joe
Joe Minton is offline Find More Posts by Joe Minton
Old Jan 19, 2005, 07:46 AM
Heli Addict....
West Dundee, Il.
Joined Nov 2003
1,937 Posts
Darrell,

Were you using the blenderm with the little holes (to make it easier to tear) for the hinges? I havent had issues with blenderm myself on my 3D foamies and the local drug store only has the easy tear kind. Was wondering if that stuff is as good.

Thanks.
Ecaf is offline Find More Posts by Ecaf
Old Jan 19, 2005, 10:25 AM
United States, FL, Melbourne Beach
Joined Dec 2003
430 Posts
I actually bought it at LHS. It is labeled 'Dubro Hinge Tape'. Pretty expensive (I think about $5, while the Blenderm is about $1.50). The Dubro tape still has the '3M Blenderm' label on the inside of the roll . It did not have perforations for tear. Unless you require extreemly light weight, I would think regular packing/sealing tape would be better (and a lot cheaper).
darrell_f is offline Find More Posts by darrell_f
Last edited by darrell_f; Jan 19, 2005 at 10:33 AM.
Old Jan 19, 2005, 11:04 AM
Heli Addict....
West Dundee, Il.
Joined Nov 2003
1,937 Posts
Thanks. Just wanted to make sure it wasnt the same stuff. I had concerns how well the
perforated tape performed.

I did find blenderm at the local medical supply. Non-perforated is $1.95 a 5yd roll. Much better than $5 for 5 yards.

TB
Ecaf is offline Find More Posts by Ecaf
Old Apr 22, 2005, 09:54 AM
Joined Jan 2005
251 Posts
Hmm.......I use the 3M blenderm tape and it works great. I never thought I would hear anyone state this tape would lift off. The adhesive is very strong.

Mac
cmacclel is offline Find More Posts by cmacclel
Old Apr 22, 2005, 10:53 AM
San Diego, CA, USA
Joined Nov 2001
2,820 Posts
I use 3M clear vinyl tape called Scotch Plastic I get at the hardware or lumber store. It has catalog number 190 and is usually in a rack with tapes of many different colors.

Chuck
rcelectfly is offline Find More Posts by rcelectfly
Old Apr 22, 2005, 12:10 PM
Joined Mar 2004
5,237 Posts
Never had an issue with BLenderm. Another choice is 3M Extreme packing tape.
rutat is offline Find More Posts by rutat
Old Apr 22, 2005, 01:27 PM
Jacksonville, Florida, United States
Joined Jul 2004
271 Posts
Blenderm is great. Make sure it is true blenderm. There a lot of other ones at the local drug store that look similar but are not blenderm. I could not find true blenderm at Walgreens, CVS, or Eckerds. I found 12 rolls for of 1" $25 here http://www.nyblimp.com/superior/tape.htm#blenderm
Same as Dubro is packaging. I use for all my hinging needs. I use 3M Satin Tape from Office Depot or Staples for all other needs.
lafjax is offline Find More Posts by lafjax
Old Apr 22, 2005, 01:29 PM
Joined Mar 2004
5,237 Posts
Medical supply places usually sell it by the single roll.
Old Apr 22, 2005, 01:30 PM
Joined Mar 2004
5,237 Posts
Example: http://www.qualitymedicalsupplies.co...QMS/CTGY/73-BD
Old Apr 22, 2005, 03:21 PM
Bethpage Grumman, New York, United States
Joined Nov 2002
2,145 Posts
Hello,
You may be looking for 3M transparent tape. It comes 3/4" wide on a 4" roll.
Its just like packing tape, but only 3/4" wide. Sticks great to the foam.
You can pick it up at Staples or any good office supply store.
I think it a $1.50 or so a roll.

Mike
mike glass is offline Find More Posts by mike glass
Old Apr 22, 2005, 04:09 PM
Me likes Depron...
Amsterdam Schiphol, Netherlands
Joined Mar 2003
1,577 Posts
www.bsdmicrorc.com sells the Blenderm tape online
Pjotrrr is offline Find More Posts by Pjotrrr