SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Jan 18, 2005, 08:33 PM
115 inches of 'hog
United States, FL, Orlando
Joined Aug 2004
2,699 Posts
Gallery
My 1st giant!! Junkers J-10

I've been eyeing this beauty at the LHS for the past few months....Finally struck a deal and took her home...It's built from the M.A.N. plans, I don't know the builder, but they did a beautiful job. It was traded to the LHS some time ago. Working on installing my US 41 gasser, and the rest of the electronics. Also building a Dynaflite Super Decathlon but bought this so I can get some giant scale stick time.
ScaleBrad is online now Find More Posts by ScaleBrad
Last edited by HaleyB; Sep 15, 2010 at 02:56 PM. Reason: update
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 20, 2005, 05:53 PM
D.G.B.
Southington, Connecticut, United States
Joined Jun 2000
2,952 Posts
Brad'sBirds If you like a copy of the build articale send me a pm with your snailmail address .I'll send you a copy.You'll like this plane.Plus I see the builder really spread the wheels out for easy ground handling.Have fun,stefanP
KOMET 44 is offline Find More Posts by KOMET 44
Old Jan 20, 2005, 11:13 PM
115 inches of 'hog
Joined Aug 2004
2,699 Posts
Thanks, but I got a copy of the article (and the plans) with the airframe. only complaint is that whover built it didn't allow for any flex in the gear..the bottom wire is soldered direct. Guess I'll have to take it easy. I would like to hear from anyone who has built or flown this model too, thanks!!!
Old Feb 14, 2005, 11:22 PM
115 inches of 'hog
Joined Aug 2004
2,699 Posts
Welcome to the dark side Orlando E-zoners!!! Running this plane on Coleman (actually Walmart brand) lantern/camping fuel. No mods necessary- almost odorless fuel, gets on your hands and just evaporates. Only a little slime (nothing like glow) on the landing gear fairing by the exhaust. I'm running a little rich to break her in, eventually will switch to Amsoil 100:1 oil, and there will be no trace of oil at all. Got three flights in so far...lots of fun...outside loops, inverted, etc. And it sounds great!! Sounds like a full scale skywriting plane that was overhead this past weekend. This so far, has been the best flying plane I have flown. Just awesome.
Old Feb 15, 2005, 01:40 AM
A Few Sandwiches Shy
Orlando, FL
Joined Jun 2001
1,961 Posts
Hey Brad -

Be sure that you only fly off concrete or asphault, with the stiff gear and the way you land you could cause some real divits in any grass field.

Looks great. According to the article it should fly great. Let me know when and where. I'm a member of Narcoosie if you need a place to test fly it.

Rob

oops - sorry wrong Brad. I was thinking of "Plumb". He causes divits with small electric models.
RMason is offline Find More Posts by RMason
Last edited by RMason; Feb 16, 2005 at 09:10 AM.
Old Feb 20, 2005, 06:48 PM
115 inches of 'hog
Joined Aug 2004
2,699 Posts
Not a good day...guess I wasn't ready for a 20+ pound dead stick landing. Engine quit high up in the corner of the field, heading out... sucessfully turned it 90 degrees, and was turning some more, the wing stalled and it headed STRAIGHT for the ground. Full up elevator was applied, with absolutely no result. I suspect the small elevator on this plane has something to do with that. A glider she is not..... Hit so hard, stripped out 3 "karbonite" servos, moved the flight switch in the OFF position,engine might be ok, but pushed the coil up a little. Fuselage exploded, tail perfect, wings have some damage. Debating whether to build a new fuse for her or just give up. My first big plane crash. pretty depressed right now. Here's some before and after pics from today.
Last edited by Brad'sBirds; Feb 20, 2005 at 06:52 PM.
Old Feb 20, 2005, 06:50 PM
115 inches of 'hog
Joined Aug 2004
2,699 Posts
Before:
Old Feb 20, 2005, 06:51 PM
115 inches of 'hog
Joined Aug 2004
2,699 Posts
After:
Old Feb 20, 2005, 08:42 PM
Look what I did:D
orlando,Fl
Joined Mar 2003
928 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RMason
Hey Brad -

Be sure that you only fly off concrete or asphault, with the stiff gear and the way you land you could cause some real divits in any grass field.

Looks great. According to the article it should fly great. Let me know when and where. I'm a member of Narcoosie if you need a place to test fly it.

Rob

oops - sorry wrong Brad. I was thinking of "Plumb". He causes divits with small electric models.
stop that...its silly
plumb is offline Find More Posts by plumb
Old Feb 20, 2005, 09:43 PM
Team Broke
Orlando/ Winter Garden, FL
Joined Feb 2003
5,671 Posts
Brad,
Sorry to hear of your mishap. I feel your pain... we've all been there.

Jim

fishdeth is offline Find More Posts by fishdeth
Old Feb 21, 2005, 12:04 AM
115 inches of 'hog
Joined Aug 2004
2,699 Posts
Thanks for the support.... The motor is damaged. Minimum needs a new coil, and has some play in the crank, but may be normal. Going to stop by Graves and compare it with a new one. I will probably rebuild. Needs a new fuse and about 6 wing ribs, plus recovering. Oh, and 3 servos rebuilt. Bummer..but I think I learned about stalling these big planes...Tried it on the sim with some big planes, my mistake was trying to land it too nice...and NEVER touch the up-elevator until youre at the ground...just go for a hard landing I suppose. Up elevator while nose diving with no power is useless..too late.
Old Feb 21, 2005, 11:32 PM
Team Fearless
Joined Jul 2004
1,408 Posts
Brad, I'm really sorry about the mishap of last flight. I admired that plane everyday I saw it on display. I hope the rebuild goes smooth. That bird needs to fly again!! Good Luck wih her.
Carl
TEKE is offline Find More Posts by TEKE
Old Feb 21, 2005, 11:53 PM
115 inches of 'hog
Joined Aug 2004
2,699 Posts
I'm still bummed out. I've even been playing the simulator with engine failure,and it seems if you're dead stick and you need to turn 180 degrees you're screwed, unless VERY high up. I will be saving what's left, and probably make it a summer rebuild project. It was such a nice plane, if it were some kind of ARF it wouldn't be soo bad. I'm sending the engine out tomorrow for repair. I suppose this is one of the hazards flying in a (relatively) small field. I think the rebuild isn't too bad, I can use a lot of the plywood bulkheads, etc, from what's left. Not sure how to approach the wing though. 7 ribs broken at the LE. Most all of the covering has been stripped off for inspection.
Old Feb 22, 2005, 07:37 PM
115 inches of 'hog
Joined Aug 2004
2,699 Posts
Update: $35 worth of balsa bought at Graves today..repair to commence immediately!!! It was such a nice flying plane, and different...it would be ashame not to fly it again. Looks like this thread will turn into a build thread!! Or, at least a repair one. Pictures to come soon, and she'll be wearing a new color scheme as well!!
Old Feb 22, 2005, 08:18 PM
Account closed
Joined Oct 2002
35,016 Posts
Brad,

I do feel your pain and especially such a nice scale looking model at that!

I lost my First Sky Radier MACH-I, High wing sport trainer of 64 1/2 inch wing span because of a faulty Electronic Speed Control that I could not obtain a manual for and when I reached 10 round cells it flew for 6 flights and then on the 7th the ESC shorted out in the middle of a roll and everything just shut down and down it went in the wet ground at Home Depot Field after the first hurricane.

I hope you can get over the model's disrepair state.....my goal is never to fall in Love with any particular model and this is why I have 7 operational at the present time. If one crashes to a state of non-flyable condition the other models take my mind off the indicident or at least helps a little.

Sorry to learn that it went down...

Carlos
guapoman2000 is offline Find More Posts by guapoman2000