HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 18, 2005, 05:43 PM
EVERETT. WASHINGTON STATE
Joined Dec 2004
10 Posts
Yippee!
Room For Workimg

Who Mutch Room In Your Home Is Required For Your Type Of Boating Hobby And HOW Mutch Time Is Required FOR IT..what Shoud A Good Work Space Look Like to You. IS STORGE A PROBLEM AND HOW DO YOU SOLVE IT
ADODADBOB is offline Find More Posts by ADODADBOB
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 18, 2005, 09:55 PM
KC8WPF
Euclid, Ohio, United States
Joined Sep 2004
3,723 Posts
Over the past 30 years I've had different work spaces. mostly due to a 27 year USCG career. During my CG career, I hadone large wood tool box with all my hobby tools in it. When I was assigned to USCG cutters, I took a small tackle box filled with needed tools, so I could work on my models while underway. At most duty stations, I lived in a two bedroom apartment, my hobby shop being the second bedroom (usually about 10x10 feet). Now that I've retired form the military and settled in one place, I have the basement as my shop, about 20 x 30 feet. The current SSMA Journal has a small photo essay of my current shop. Before I retired from the militray I spent aboput 1 hour a night, several hours on weekends, on average building and maintaining my fleet. Now I am working part time and am spending much more time with my wife and my hobby. Right now, storage is not a problem. I have several shelves around the basement wll for displaying completed models.
CG Bob is online now Find More Posts by CG Bob
Old Jan 18, 2005, 11:13 PM
Joined Dec 2004
10 Posts
Cg. Sounds Like You Been At It A Long Time I Am New To All This. But I Must Start Some Ware. Asking How To.???????? Thanks Bob
Old Jan 18, 2005, 11:40 PM
Dragon Slayer
Shelton,WA
Joined Nov 2004
1,839 Posts
I've been modeling for about the same amont of time as CG Bob, I've not needed more area than 1/2 of a one car garage, the wife gets the other half for here craft projects. But I do have a 12' X 16' carpenter shop witch I use for makeing some of my parts. I have 9 boat/ships displayed thought out the living room it's only a 12' X 16' room & I have 3 more watting to be completed. My wook bench is a core door you can pic up at any lumber supply, it's a 3' X 7' door set on 4' X 4' legs framed with 2' X 4' . Here's a picture. you can see how much space I actuly use, it's only about 2' X 3'.
don't worry about the small stuf after you get started it will not make any deferance, thinge will fit most any were. Have fun !!!
ropanach is offline Find More Posts by ropanach
Old Jan 20, 2005, 07:01 PM
Al_
West Bend, Wisconsin, United States
Joined May 2004
121 Posts
I have about 10 by 12 feet to work with. Lately, space has been an issue and I plan on building a better workbench setup which has a 3' deep bench the entire length of one wall and 6" deep shelvs all the way to the ceiling. The opposite wall will have a deeper set of shelves and another wall will have a rack for holding my planes and boats.

As things are right now, I have a serious space issue!
Al_ is offline Find More Posts by Al_
Old Jan 20, 2005, 07:11 PM
Veni, Vidi, Feci
Motor City
Joined Dec 2004
12,307 Posts
shops

I share a 12x12 corner of the basement with the furnace and the backside of the stairs. A couple work benches, one is a "penninsula". Stuff on every wall. Another corner of the semi-finished basement has my desk/PC/old dinnette table and shelves full o'models.
Pat M
patmat2350 is offline Find More Posts by patmat2350
Old Jan 22, 2005, 12:09 AM
RC boat Rock Star
Kalamazoo, MI
Joined Apr 2004
2,885 Posts
It depends on how crazy you get in this hobby/sport. At least half of my basement is loaded with boats, workbenches and tools. I have my main workbench, a smaller one beside that, an 8 foot folding table, an old Dining room table plus shelving galore and pegboards.
Ron Olson is online now Find More Posts by Ron Olson
Old Jan 22, 2005, 03:34 AM
Joined Dec 2004
10 Posts
thanks for shairing with me.I,am getting to the point of needing more room. i have spoken to you know the outher half. about more space. After my soon mouve out i can move in thear with a little luck. Not to far down the rode I hope, thanks ageain BOB
Old Jan 26, 2005, 07:59 PM
Dragon Slayer
Shelton,WA
Joined Nov 2004
1,839 Posts
Good luck on the son moving out. Mine has moved out 3 times. I didn't think I used that much room untill I posted on the subject, I actuly use a lot of space my half of the garage and some of the wife's, sorry about that,I didn't realize it at the time, maybe I should take off the blinders and look past the projects I'm working on.
ropanach is offline Find More Posts by ropanach
Old Jan 28, 2005, 05:10 AM
Grafton, Ohio
Joined Sep 2003
760 Posts
I had a friend years ago, and no it didnt cost me cash to have a friend! LOL!!! But, he used to build, when he lived in an apartment, out of a closet. He had a desk type piece of ply set up like one of them old fashioned fold up ironing boards. Open the door, fold down the board held up with something? grab the tool box out of the bottom of the closet and go to work! i'm not sure what he did with ongoing projects, probably simply put back in a box or something. People do what they have to do and some show real ingenuity. I recently was building an HO railroad for my son. Well, for my son and me!! HEHE. I built a shelf type where a section of it folded up against a wall to give acces into the room. It is one of those around the room shelf set-ups. Used closet doors for that. Hope this helps with further ideas at least.
OhioMike is offline Find More Posts by OhioMike
Old Jan 28, 2005, 11:52 PM
Joined Dec 2004
10 Posts
Yes Thank To One And All. It Is Funney What A Little Hobby Can Do To One Self.
Old Jan 29, 2005, 05:28 PM
North-East England
Joined Mar 2002
3,398 Posts
Before I answer this, if your wife/girlfriend/significant other is in the room, make an excuse to get her out of there. Your life and modelling future may be in danger if she reads this.

OK - has she gone? Sure?

I use the kitchen!

It's a work room, and I built it for our use. It was touch-and-go for a while, but I proved that not only can I make a mess, I can clean it all up and put everything away relatively quickly with no eveidence of what's gone before.
I do use covers on which the building board sits (allows dropped metal tools etc to not scratch, glue not to stick, oil not to damage worktops ec).

Anything really messy and smelly gets done in the garage. However I try and keep that sort of thing to warmer weather.

Not many wives will put up with it, and none if you damage or make the place a mess.

My wife (oh, I am so lucky) told me that at a club 'do', sort of social evening, that the wives discussed exactly this subject. They were all horrified that my wife allowed me into her kitchen. Still, they were all talking of curtains, and babies throwing up and such boring stuff most of the time - so boring that my wife came over and joined in with us modellers.

My model storage is in the loft of my house. Boats are all kept in carrying boxes which can be upended one way to about 70 degrees ('THIS WAY UP' is written on the appropriate end) and piled up. Fuselages are laid over crossbeams attached to the roof joists and the wings are in vertical racks.

I suppose I should enter discussion groups with 'Hello. My name's Tony. I'm a modeller'

Maybe if I was on drugs or booze I would be more normal.
Tony Oliver is offline Find More Posts by Tony Oliver
Old Jan 30, 2005, 08:42 PM
Joined Dec 2004
10 Posts
well thanks tony your the best of all i read so far adodadbob