HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 18, 2005, 05:01 PM
Suspended Account
Joined Apr 2004
2,020 Posts
Gloves For Cold Weather Flying....

OK..heres the deal..its been 23 degrees here for the last week..with a 15-25 mph wind...im getting cabin fever not being able to fly becuase of the extreme cold..my hands suffer the most..so what kind/brand gloves are you cold weather flyers wearing ..has to be something that wears like a tight glove that allows accurate stick movements..do they make a glove that keeps the hands warm in 20 degree weather while allowing good finger movement for precise controlling of the tx/ sticks..
rumme is offline Find More Posts by rumme
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 18, 2005, 05:17 PM
BEC
Auburn, Washington USA
Joined Jan 2001
12,940 Posts
Do a little searching.... this has come up several times in the last couple of months.

I use this: http://www.fatlion.com/bash/
BEC is offline Find More Posts by BEC
Old Jan 18, 2005, 05:24 PM
Suspended Account
Joined Apr 2004
2,020 Posts
o.k...thank you..do those gloves keep your hands warm in all conditions youve flown in??
Old Jan 18, 2005, 05:25 PM
Suspended Account
Joined Apr 2004
2,020 Posts
oh,,sry..there not gloves...
Old Jan 18, 2005, 05:31 PM
Lost in the Sky
Burleson, Texas
Joined Jun 2003
1,966 Posts
rumme,

Try these. I first bought them for cold water fishing in streams. You have to be able to use your fingers to tie on a lure but keep your hands from freezing off. I use them for cold weather flying or any cold weather activity where I am going to need to do finger work.

Richard

A link to the seller here: http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/te...results1.jhtml
Richard N is offline Find More Posts by Richard N
Old Jan 18, 2005, 05:37 PM
Suspended Account
Joined Apr 2004
2,020 Posts
thank you..I guess I was wondering if they made a glove similiar to the ISOTONER gloves that fight real tight on the hand,,but allow individual movememnt of each finger and perhaps had thinsulate built in the glove...I searched some threads on here..but didnt see 1 post about a glove like that..the gloves that have open fingers..probably wouldnt work to well for me,,cause it seems the tips of my fingers are the 1st thing to get ice cold..
Old Jan 18, 2005, 05:47 PM
Lost in the Sky
Burleson, Texas
Joined Jun 2003
1,966 Posts
rumme,

They work better then you would think. Your fingertips feel the coldest because they are the thinest part of your hands. These gloves keep the rest of your hand warm and the warm blood circulating from the covered part of your hand will help keep your fingers warm. They are made of wool which insulates even when wet. If you check out the link they even have a version with a removeable mitten cover.
Richard N is offline Find More Posts by Richard N
Old Jan 18, 2005, 05:48 PM
e-flight in 24½th Century
Cypress, TX
Joined Jul 2004
525 Posts
Don't count out the trans. mitt listed above. They really do the trick and with the hand warmers keep the hands and TRANS BATTERY warm. Cold batteries don't hold or deliver the mAmps they do in warmer weather.

If the gloves are thin enough for adequate finger movement/feel they usually don't have the ability to keep your hands warm enough.

Just my 2 ¢...
wp
Waldo Pepper is offline Find More Posts by Waldo Pepper
Old Jan 18, 2005, 06:23 PM
Suspended Account
Joined Apr 2004
2,020 Posts
I think im gonna buy a pair of inexpensive cotton gloves..which seem to have decent ability to keep the body warm..but totally lack any windbreaking features..so underneath them,,,Im gonna wear a pair of the thin skin tight plastic surgical gloves..like the ones doctors use...this should break the wind..actually..it may be better to put the cotton gloves on 1st,,then the surgical gloves over them,,
Old Jan 18, 2005, 06:28 PM
Stress Be Gone
Snohomish, WA
Joined May 2000
3,416 Posts
Problem with that is, your hands will start to sweat inside the surgical gloves if you wear them for any length of time.
GBR2 is offline Find More Posts by GBR2
Old Jan 18, 2005, 06:31 PM
Speed cost money.
United States, FL, Marathon
Joined Dec 2002
3,045 Posts
If you go to a sports/hunting store you will find gloves that have a velco flap that covers the fingers like a mittin. Just before take off you flip back the mittin and you have gloves with exposed fingers. Much like those in the post above by Richard. On the really cold days I don't even flip back the left hand as my left thumb is good enough for the Rudder/throttle. Thus only 1 cold set of fingers.

Last word of advice. If you overdress the rest of your body. Your hands will not suffer as much. As you body tempiture drops it naturally reduces blood flow to the extremities to keep the torso warm.

This morning when I woke up it was 14 degress.. wind chill in the -10 range. I wanted to migrate south... then I realized... **** I have a JOB. and unfortuanaty I was not born weathy.... Guess I will have to suffer through it.

Highflier
highflier is offline Find More Posts by highflier
Old Jan 18, 2005, 06:31 PM
Ohio
Joined May 2003
2,083 Posts
I've tried many and the $16.99 Campmor convertible gloves are the best. Mittens cover fingers and can be pulled back and velcroed to expose the fingertips for handling the Tx and the thumb covers can be pulled back and velcroed to allow for stick control.

See here: http://www.campmor.com/webapp/wcs/st...uctId=24731556

Ed
no stick is offline Find More Posts by no stick
Old Jan 18, 2005, 06:36 PM
Tell that to George Zipp!
United States, IL, Inverness
Joined Oct 2000
1,819 Posts
I have one of those transmitter mitts and I never use it.
It is not as warm as even a thin pair of gloves.
More imortantly, you cannot hand launch a plane and get your hand back into the mitt in time to control it. It is a shame the webpage shows it next to a flying wing.
To be fair, if a pair of thin gloves isn't enough and you have a plane with landing gear, this would give you extra protection from the wind.

I wear a plair of Mechanix gloves http://www.mechanix.com/
I get the cheap type at Menards or Sears for $10-20. they are made thin so mechanics can work with them. I get a good feel for flying, but they are not really warm, just OK.
mikeb33 is offline Find More Posts by mikeb33
Old Jan 18, 2005, 07:43 PM
RIP "Long Shadow Flyer"
Upstate New York-- Rochester, NY USA
Joined Oct 2001
732 Posts
After seeing the transmitter bags, went to the Fabric store and got some nylon, fleece and acetate and wipped up a couple for my friend and me...
They really keep your hands warm and keep the finger tips warm,
Went out today (-2 degrees F)warm hands but the batteries were dying very fast in the cold. Think I have to make some battery booties out of the fleece.. hehehehehe!

Carl
crvogt is offline Find More Posts by crvogt
Old Jan 18, 2005, 07:43 PM
Suspended Account
Joined Apr 2004
2,020 Posts
hard to believe that in todays advances,,they havent beeen able to come out wiith a tight fitting 5 fingered glove that stays warm in below freezing temperatures and allows the wearer to have some dexterity/use of each finger...