HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Closed Thread
Old Jan 18, 2005, 10:38 AM
ASK
Espanola, NM USA
Joined Jul 2002
2,824 Posts
SuperGee II (continued)

This thread continues the past SuperGee thread, which had become a bit large with 685 posts.

A place to share and ask questions regarding Mark Drela's SuperGee II.
The previous thread is at:
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=246671

ASK is offline Find More Posts by ASK
Last edited by ASK; Jan 23, 2005 at 11:48 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 18, 2005, 11:06 AM
Love my Pike Superior!
Austin, TX
Joined Jul 2003
1,718 Posts
I'm surprised the 1st one got that big! Most of the time they get cut off around 500 posts.

Guess this is my "I'm subscribing post"

Jared
averen is offline Find More Posts by averen
Old Jan 18, 2005, 11:21 AM
United States, NC, Charlotte
Joined Apr 2004
1,650 Posts
re-scribe!.
Eyefly is offline Find More Posts by Eyefly
Old Jan 18, 2005, 11:38 AM
ASK
Espanola, NM USA
Joined Jul 2002
2,824 Posts
Subscribing without posting

For those who do not know how to subscribe without posting, here's how:
On the right hand side of the top of the thread window, locate the Thread Tools pull-down menu. Select Subscribe to this Thread. In a thread to which you are not subscribed, it looks like this:

Of course, you might want to say "Hi" and express your interests, and that's okay too.

-ASK
Last edited by ASK; Jan 18, 2005 at 05:42 PM.
Old Jan 19, 2005, 12:26 AM
United States, AZ, Arizona City
Joined Sep 2001
5,011 Posts
ASK,

Good move, the original was getting sort of cumbersome. I wish we could reorganize it by topic. Lots of good info, not just for the SG, but very hard to find.

Gary
GaryO is offline Find More Posts by GaryO
Old Jan 22, 2005, 11:20 AM
Joined Sep 2003
213 Posts
.dxf file of SGII?

Anyone know if this exists somewhere? Or, how do I get actual dimensions off the .pdf file? The ruler/scale on the plan gets me in the ballpark, but not exact.

Thanks,

Kooch
kkooch is offline Find More Posts by kkooch
Old Jan 22, 2005, 11:36 AM
ASK
Espanola, NM USA
Joined Jul 2002
2,824 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kkooch
...how do I get actual dimensions off the .pdf file? The ruler/scale on the plan gets me in the ballpark, but not exact.
#1 - Use Acrobat Reader 5.0 or higher
#2 - Locate the scaling control for your printer (in the driver properties) and adjust until both scales are at 1" = 1"

Aradhana Singh Khalsa
Old Jan 22, 2005, 01:33 PM
Joined Sep 2003
213 Posts
[QUOTE=ASK]#1 - Use Acrobat Reader 5.0 or higher
#2 - Locate the scaling control for your printer (in the driver properties) and adjust until both scales are at 1" = 1"

So, are you printing the pdf out fullscale and taking direct measurements off the printed drawing? If so, and this is the best way, I'll be taping lots of 8.5x11" sheets together. Probably some error introduced there. Still haven't found the scaling control on my printer and am using Adobe 6.0. A cad formatted file would be much easier as I could take the measurements off the drawing direct (angles/lengths) and then free hand onto a template.

Am basically just trying to get my mylars sized up correctly.

thanks,

KK
Old Jan 22, 2005, 02:34 PM
ASK
Espanola, NM USA
Joined Jul 2002
2,824 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kkooch
So, are you printing the pdf out fullscale and taking direct measurements off the printed drawing?...
Am basically just trying to get my mylars sized up correctly.
To make very nice planform templates, you can use the templates and information within Mark's plans.

You need templates for different purposes. I use a planform reference template to validate my planform is right (the four foam blocks/cut wing panels go together perfectly to form the right planform). I have blocking templates for when I'm hand blocking the foam panels, but usually I CNC them. I have a mylar cutting template, and fabric cutting templates. To make all these, you can pretty easily do one of two things:

1) Get Compu-Foil and Print/Tile the planform outline on the largest paper you have. That becomes the basis for all your templates. Measure the airfoil sweep offsets on Supergee2.pdf and enter them into the lofting module dialogs to build the .lft file. (or cheat with these measures , they are 1.1875" and 2.6875", respectively)

2) Draw your own.
a. Get a big sheet of paper from the craft store, probably the newsprint you'll use as paper carriers for the fabric.

b. Draw a straight line in a rectangular area; this is the hingeline.

c. Place cutouts of the full size airfoils, lining them up by the hingeline, perpendicular to the hingeline, at the proper root and tip stations. Just like the plan says, the 7.2" root airfoil goes at station 0, the 5.5" root/tip airfoil goes at 20", the 3.4" tip airfoil goes at 29.7".

d. Draw lines across the airfoil leading and trailing edges to make your planform template. That's all there is to it!

*Regarding adding a little to the templates, it is good to make your 1 oz. Kevlar skin template oversize, as the edge of 1 oz. is easily damaged, and if the skin is oversize, you can trim off the frays and disturbed yarns after wetting it out on the Mylar. Phil shows something like that in his video. And your Mylar templates should be a little long in chord to overlap the trailing edge.
Aradhana Singh Khalsa
New Mexico
Last edited by ASK; Jan 22, 2005 at 07:40 PM.
Old Jan 22, 2005, 05:04 PM
Joined Sep 2003
213 Posts
[QUOTE=ASK]To make very nice planform templates, you can use the templates and information within Mark's plans.

Measure the airfoil sweep offsets on Supergee2.pdf and enter them into the lofting module dialogs to build the .lft file. (or cheat with these measures , they are 1.1875" and 2.6875", respectively)

Well, those sweep measures should probably have been my first question...

Thanks,

Kevin K.
Old Jan 23, 2005, 01:56 AM
BANNED!!!
Laurel, MD
Joined May 2001
12,688 Posts
where is the first thread
soholingo is offline Find More Posts by soholingo
Old Jan 23, 2005, 02:42 AM
Germantown, Maryland
Joined Apr 2004
4,514 Posts
Simplicity

Sometimes I wonder how many people are scared away from scratch building when they read a thread like this. You guys are talking all this techno jargon and alphabet soup just to draw a mylar shape for bagging a wing. Maybe I'm too low tech and computer ignorant but there really are easier ways to figure out a mylar shape even if you are a techno geek.

You draw the patterns for blocking out the foam on pieces of poster board. The chord lengths are specifically written on the plans. The spans can be scaled off the plan. Maybe you'd get that wrong by a tiny bit but probably they are even inch amounts and even if they aren't, the only exact dimension needed here is the total span which we all know to be 1.5meters. The only other thing you need to know is that the hinge line is perpendicular to the centerline of the wing and is at 70% of the wing chord. The perpendicular part can be seen on the plan, the 70% part is given by the c designation in the airfoil name as explained on the Charles River site;
http://www.charlesriverrc.org/articl...t-airfoils.htm
That's all the information you need to draw the planform of the wing and make patterns to block out the foam.

You make mylars after the wing cores are assembled and ready to bag. Then you just set the core down on a sheet of mylar and trace around it with a sharpie marker. You can't really trace the thin trailing edge of the core so you just make a few little hash marks and connect them using a straight edge.

The sweep measures are just the result of multiplying the chord width by 30% to find the distance from TE to hinge line.

Phil
Phil Barnes is offline Find More Posts by Phil Barnes
Old Jan 23, 2005, 03:23 AM
BANNED!!!
Laurel, MD
Joined May 2001
12,688 Posts
Phil,

You make a great point. This stuff seems SOOOOO complicated and while I have made a few attempts at building planes, and having seen the video etc. I still feel like there is some handholding that should be done.

Just that little bit of explaining you performed has helped me a great deal...

Jay
soholingo is offline Find More Posts by soholingo
Old Jan 23, 2005, 10:19 AM
Joined Sep 2003
213 Posts
[QUOTE=Phil Barnes]
"You draw the patterns for blocking out the foam on pieces of poster board. The chord lengths are specifically written on the plans. The spans can be scaled off the plan. "

Well, I wanted to draw up in cad, print, then glue to the poster board and cutout for the foam templates. Plus, maybe I want to extend those patterns a bit for the mylar templates/doubler templates/whatever templates....all easier, faster, more accurate in cad. Its a tool I use day in day out, so I'm very familiar with it.

"Maybe you'd get that wrong by a tiny bit but probably they are even inch amounts and even if they aren't, the only exact dimension needed here is the total span which we all know to be 1.5meters."

Quite true. But I just went thru the effort to make accurate foil templates, so what the heck, I'm going to take an extra 5 minutes to make sure the planform is accurate.

"The only other thing you need to know is that the hinge line is perpendicular to the centerline of the wing and is at 70% of the wing chord. "

Totally forgot about this. I guess I need to read thru all this stuff another dozen times to refresh my memory where all this stuff is located.

Kevin K.
Old Jan 23, 2005, 11:01 AM
Upland, CA
Joined Mar 2004
540 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by soholingo
where is the first thread
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=246671

Aradhana, perhaps you could edit the first post to have a link back to the old thread.

In other news...my gee flys today.
briandlg is offline Find More Posts by briandlg
Closed Thread