HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Closed Thread
Old Jan 18, 2005, 05:58 AM
Plane Crazy
Zurich, Switzerland
Joined Aug 2003
1,329 Posts
Easystar 15 - The New Generation

... oldtimers like me hopefully welcome.
splash99 is offline Find More Posts by splash99
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 18, 2005, 06:24 AM
Plane Crazy
Zurich, Switzerland
Joined Aug 2003
1,329 Posts
Since I hadn't any useful things to contribute lately, at least I can give you that.
I noticed that an entirely fresh generation of ES flyers are around stumbling and bumbling along just as we did (and still do)
I really appreciate Contstant Crash, Paddy (Oldpilot), Jcosta, TT, Numbthumbs and many others, oldtimers or relatively new , lets say from thread 6 onwards or so - for staying present and sharing their considerable experience (and zoomzoom for inspiring more than sharing )

Thread 14, december 16th 2004 - Jan 18th 2005
Thread 13 Nov 18th - Dec 16th
Thread 12 Oct 25th - Nov 18th
Thread 11 Oct 1st - Oct 25th
Thread 10 Sept 9th - Sept 30th
Thread 9 Aug 1st - Sept 9th
Thread 8 June 21st - Aug 1st
Thread 7 June 3rd - June 21st
Thread 6 May 18th - June 3rd
Thread 5 May 3rd - May 18th
Thread 4 April 8th - May 5th
Thread 3 Mars 12th - April 4th
Thread 2 Feb 17th - Mars 3rd
... and it all got started by Jurgen Heilig with what was later to be known as Volume I of the ES saga, Thread 1 Aug 21st 2003
Last edited by splash99; Jan 18, 2005 at 06:45 AM.
Old Jan 18, 2005, 06:29 AM
Plane Crazy
Zurich, Switzerland
Joined Aug 2003
1,329 Posts
merowmix
I too have trouble with eyesight, I don' tknow if it has to do with me being very nearsighted, bu t I could never do any ball games bc I couldn't where the ball was, nor how fast , nor in which direction it travelled.
Its a bit better with big, airplane shaped objects, but I still get confused very often. What helped me was to have the outer 3rd of the wings ON TOP in a brightly different color. this helped me recognize the bank of the plane.
When the plane is farther away, I usually go wrong regularly. Luckily, then they are mostly high up so there is time to correct.
Old Jan 18, 2005, 09:19 AM
"Have Glue - Will Travel"
Ft. Worth, Texas
Joined Jan 2004
2,428 Posts
Hello Estar owners,

I just bought mine last week and am planning to begin construction tonight. I was wondering if it's necessary to solder the capacitors to the motor or not? The instructions say the included Permax 400 motor is already fitted with an interference supressor, and I'll be using a Jeti 400 speed control(round shape) that screws directly to the tabs on the motor which may also have supression circuitry also(not sure). Any help on this would be much appreciated, and thanks!

Ronnie
dawnron1 is offline Find More Posts by dawnron1
Old Jan 18, 2005, 10:50 AM
Arizona Aviator
Prescott AZ
Joined Dec 2004
165 Posts
Empty Field Myopia

Hi,

Some more thoughts about ES's and our vision. The human eye, even a perfectly normal eye, experiences a condition called "Empty Field Myopia." Recognizing EFM is a part of the training for a private or commercial pilot certificate. I'm not an ophthalmologist, but here is my aviator's understanding of it as it applies to little blue and white foam airplanes.

The neural feedback mechanism of our eyes' focus is dependant on having enough to focus on. If we are looking into a blank field, such as a cloudless sky with nothing in it but one tiny little Easy Star, our eyes have a tendency to give up the hard work of focusing on the ES after a while and revert to their "at rest" focus, which is usually somewhere about halfway across a room, not a thousand feet away.

One of the consequences of this effect is "speck out" where a model at high altitude or slant-range we were focused on one second just seems to vanish the next. In fact the model is still there, but our eyes have involuntarily shifted focus into EFM, and we lose sight of the model. Unless we are able to quickly force focus, the model flies away never to be seen again. I've lost two models this way, and I bet lot of people here have.

Even if we don't completely lose sight of it, orientation of a symmetrical object is always difficult. A perfectly symmetrical object, such as a sphere, is impossible to orient unless it is close enough to observe surface texture (or color), and even then only if there is enough difference in surface texture. An airplane, which has bilateral symmetry, is easier to orient than a baseball, but still difficult, and still dependent on the appearance of the surfaces.

If we see just a black-and-white silhouette of an airplane it is impossible to tell if we are looking at, for example, the airplane from the top right or the bottom left. Only if there is a clear difference in coloration and/or brightness between bottom and top can our brain discriminate whether we are seeing the top going away or the bottom coming toward.

In order to know we have to judge from relative motion. Relative motion is a lot harder to judge if our eyes are imperfectly focused. The early consequence of our eyes drifting into EFM is it becomes harder to orient the aircraft.

The bigger, brighter, more visually stimulating the target we are looking at is, the more resistance we have to having our eyes fade off into EFM. The ES is not big or fast as models go, but even a n ES can get far enough away in just a few seconds to make it hard to orient. Guys doing aerobatics where the aircraft is rarely flown more than a few hundred feet away probably don't experience this problem, but I and many others tend to fly the ES out at some distance, and it's a small sky-colored aircraft just begging to disappear or at least confuse us as to what it's doing out there. And obviously those of us with older eyes, myopia, or other vision conditions are more at risk than those blessed with bright young eyes. The folks who fly scale military models in camouflage designed to make the aircraft hard to see have more guts or better eyes than I do.

All of which goes into offering MHO that every blue and white ES ought to have some sort of bold marking applied before it's ever flown by anybody without 20/10 vision! The tape sounds good, as does the sparkling gift wrap. I've had good luck with ironing on low temp film like Ultracote.

Dan
pysonya is offline Find More Posts by pysonya
Old Jan 18, 2005, 12:27 PM
sensitive artsy type
Tucker, Georgia, United States
Joined Feb 2004
3,167 Posts
I have noticed that crows and other very dark birds are quite easy to see, so maybe a black EZ would stand out best in a high blue sky?

At dusk this might require lights being added. I haven't had this problem, as every plane seems to look dark to me when it is up high, the bigger problem for me was seeing a red plane against the dark trees at dusk, even orange Aerobird of my buddy's was not easy to see against the treeline. Yellow seems to be the best for this orientation. So a plane that changes colors at a certain altitude from black to yellow would be the best solution.

Thanky you Mr. Splash99 for starting this thread and for your continued input. tt
Treetop is offline Find More Posts by Treetop
Old Jan 18, 2005, 12:52 PM
U.K
Joined Aug 2003
128 Posts
Folding Prop

Hi
I have just fitted a folding prop to the stock motor,could someone tell me if this is OK - read a few threads that I might have a bit of trouble in flight etc.
Not yet flown with new prop.
Pixie 20 ESC.
olly49
olly49 is offline Find More Posts by olly49
Old Jan 18, 2005, 01:31 PM
Tornado Alley - USA
Joined Apr 2004
145 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dawnron1
Hello Estar owners,

I just bought mine last week and am planning to begin construction tonight. I was wondering if it's necessary to solder the capacitors to the motor or not? The instructions say the included Permax 400 motor is already fitted with an interference supressor, and I'll be using a Jeti 400 speed control(round shape) that screws directly to the tabs on the motor which may also have supression circuitry also(not sure). Any help on this would be much appreciated, and thanks!

Ronnie
Ron - I added the capacitors to my recently finished EZ. I'm using a Pixie 20 ESC and everything worked well. I'm not sure about the ESC that your using (so some of those experienced with the ESC my chime in).

Right now I might be more interested in your Xb piloting. I'm considering a new vehicle and have test drove an Xb. Is yours the auto or 5spd.
Twister2 is offline Find More Posts by Twister2
Old Jan 18, 2005, 02:06 PM
Does it come in Flouro??
Melbourne, Australia
Joined Sep 2004
706 Posts
olly

Make the folder mod to stop the prop from closing past straight back and it should be fine. I assume you have checked the clearance...

Cheers

David
Numb Thumbs is offline Find More Posts by Numb Thumbs
Old Jan 18, 2005, 02:32 PM
"Have Glue - Will Travel"
Ft. Worth, Texas
Joined Jan 2004
2,428 Posts
Twister2,

Thanks for the info, I'll try doing a search on the ESC. My Scion xB is an automatic, and while it's no rocket, it does have plenty of pep, and I get an honest 28-29 mpg city and 31-33 hwy(as I recall there wasn't much difference between the 5spd or auto). I love all the comments and the looks I get, everything from "those are sooooo cool" to "where's the car? All I see is the box it came in!" I had a blast driving around in Southern Oklahoma with it recently; I must have been questioned 10 times at red lights! But the best part is I can get 5 airplanes and all my gear in it, and it's a Toyota with extras for under $17,000! Feel free to PM me with any questions, and thanks!

Ronnie
dawnron1 is offline Find More Posts by dawnron1
Last edited by dawnron1; Jan 18, 2005 at 06:23 PM.
Old Jan 18, 2005, 02:35 PM
Arizona Aviator
Prescott AZ
Joined Dec 2004
165 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by olly49
just fitted a folding prop to the stock motor...,
olly49
Hi Olly,

Two things are needed for a folding pusher prop to work right. One is the "prop stop" , in order to prevent the blades from folding beyond center. The other is a motor controller (ESC) that has a BRAKE. The blades won't fold back until the prop first stops rotating.

The X-08 ESC that comes stock with the ES does not have a brake function, so as I learned the hard way the prop will continue to "windmill" and not stop and fold. Replacing the ESC with one the does have a brake is not hard.

Dan
pysonya is offline Find More Posts by pysonya
Old Jan 18, 2005, 04:48 PM
Australia, NSW, Katoomba
Joined May 2002
5,433 Posts
OLLY.

The Pixi 20 is fine for your purpose. Just make sure the brake is programmed.

Cheers. Paddy.
oldpilot is offline Find More Posts by oldpilot
Old Jan 18, 2005, 05:40 PM
United States, CA, Burlingame
Joined Sep 2001
5,350 Posts
After not flying for like 3-4 months, I decided to get back in shape using the Easy way, and the EasyStar.
Of course, great plane as usual and always ready to play

Video: EasyStar doing some Touches and Go

Special thanks to Oded Mazor for taking the video !

Patrick.
Patrick Plawner is offline Find More Posts by Patrick Plawner
Last edited by Patrick Plawner; Jan 18, 2005 at 05:42 PM.
Old Jan 18, 2005, 05:47 PM
You will be assimilated!
Caslte Rock, Colorado
Joined Apr 2004
214 Posts
Just thought I'd post this while the newe incarnation is young, the Easystar newbies shopping list:

Easystar Kit or RTF
If you buy the kitted verion:
2x servo
reciever
ESC
Buy this stuff no matter what:
EPOXY! BIG ONE!!
some coloring trim/covering tape
velcro
some magnets for the canopy

Ok, yeah, just wanted to share my thoughts. I WANT MY TAPE SO I CAN FLY SOME MORE! *beats head against table*
meowmix is offline Find More Posts by meowmix
Old Jan 18, 2005, 05:58 PM
You will be assimilated!
Caslte Rock, Colorado
Joined Apr 2004
214 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick Plawner
After not flying for like 3-4 months, I decided to get back in shape using the Easy way, and the EasyStar.
Of course, great plane as usual and always ready to play

Video: EasyStar doing some Touches and Go

Special thanks to Oded Mazor for taking the video !

Patrick.
WOAH! You really chuck your Easystar into the air! I hardly toss mine to launch! My first few attempts I tried to do what you do, up, and back down. Hard.

I launch by holding just in front of CoG (to make it start to climb on it's own), and take 2-3 steps before pushing it forward with 1/2-3/4 throttle. Once it's up I try to fly as low as possible (throttle and altitude ). Maybe you guys have some suggestions on betters ways to launch?
meowmix is offline Find More Posts by meowmix
Closed Thread