Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Jan 18, 2005, 03:19 AM
Dances With The Wind
United States, FL, Punta Gorda
Joined May 2002
6,509 Posts
On the drawing board...

I love to play around with model design. Most of my designs never get past the rough drawing stage, but it's fun dream up new planes.

Lately, all the threads about building from composites has got me seriously considering making a fuselage mold and bagging some wings. It looks like a cool new challenge. I love the looks of those bagged carbon and kevlar parts!

I've been thinking that if I make a fuselage that uses plug-in wings, a single fuselage could be used to try out a variety of wings.

With plug-in wings, any combination of airfoil, thickness, span, chord, sweep or whatever could be used. The fuse could also be adapted for wingeron or pitcheron use.

If you give the fuse a fairly long tail boom, you could even plan to cut part of the boom off to adapt the fuse to smaller wings. After that, you would just position the wingrod farther forward to compensate for the shorter fuselage length.

My idea is to design a single fuselage mold that would work for just about any wing planform between about 40 to 60 inches.

Here's a sample rendering using my one fuselage fits all concept.
Brian Courtice is offline Find More Posts by Brian Courtice
Last edited by Brian Courtice; Jan 18, 2005 at 03:22 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 18, 2005, 04:09 AM
Charlie
Canada, BC, Victoria
Joined Dec 2004
419 Posts
I like the idea of the modular fuselage. if you have some area that is flat around the root attachment you dont have to worry about Karmans (is that an English word I dont know- it is French for the fairing on the fuse to the wing root.) And you can also get a lot of lateral surface area which is great for knife edge tricks, but your fuse doesnt look that way I know.

I have kind of moved away from wing joiners to top mount wings as I think the wing tears away from the fuse with less damage that way. I still crash a lot!!
daedaluscan is offline Find More Posts by daedaluscan
Old Jan 18, 2005, 09:02 AM
Vancouver WA
Joined May 2004
1,335 Posts
Not a bad idea Brian, I like the modular fuse concept as well. Be fun to try out different wings and see exactly how much difference different airfoils and stuff actually make...

ericm
ericm is offline Find More Posts by ericm
Old Jan 18, 2005, 09:16 AM
Stay in it!!!!
Riverside, California, United States
Joined Aug 2004
5,049 Posts
umm, Have you talked to mark about this? JK looks good!Whats the span?
joe manor is offline Find More Posts by joe manor
Old Jan 18, 2005, 09:54 AM
It could happen...
Torrance, California
Joined Jan 2004
7,537 Posts
I like the idea Brian. I remember building pod & boom planes with the same concept...plug in wings. I remember having "floater" wings an "speed" wings, etc. for various conditions...one fuse, many sets of wings. Used to just call them "pod planes". They were great for checking out new sites becuase with one fuse and a couple of sets of wings you were ready for just about anything...very compact for hauling into remote locations.
InTheLift is offline Find More Posts by InTheLift
Old Jan 18, 2005, 12:12 PM
Dances With The Wind
Joined May 2002
6,509 Posts
Joe: Mark say's it's Ok. LOL. This one does kinda resemble as SOS . BTW, you did a terrific job on your replica SOS kits Joe. It will be great to see some SOS planes flying again!

The planform for the plane in the rendering is loosely based on a little plane I built and flew back around 1991. Mark and I were flying buddies at the time, so I'm sure the SOS influenced my design. This one would probably be a 60 incher.

Daedaluscan: You're right, the drawback to the plug-in wings is that they are easier to damage.
Old Jan 18, 2005, 12:15 PM
It could happen...
Torrance, California
Joined Jan 2004
7,537 Posts
I like that little plane there Brian...you've posted picts of it before, no? Where's the pict taken?
Old Jan 18, 2005, 12:28 PM
Dances With The Wind
Joined May 2002
6,509 Posts
The picture was taken at Dana Point. Dana Point was a terrific flying site before they closed it off with a 10 foot high barbed wire fence.
Old Jan 18, 2005, 02:26 PM
Feeling FrSky
United States, CA, Santa Barbara
Joined Feb 2003
20,086 Posts
MULLETSGALORE!

Courtice is a member of the Axis of Mullet!

Steve
surfimp is offline Find More Posts by surfimp
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 18, 2005, 02:48 PM
Detail Freak
Harbor City, CA
Joined Oct 2003
21,397 Posts
All business in the front,
All party in the back!
T
target is offline Find More Posts by target
Old Jan 18, 2005, 02:59 PM
It could happen...
Torrance, California
Joined Jan 2004
7,537 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by surfimp
MULLETSGALORE!

Courtice is a member of the Axis of Mullet!

Steve
Good to see the Pirate in you hasn't died Steve...haven't seen you hijack one in this fashion in a while...
Old Jan 18, 2005, 03:11 PM
Dances With The Wind
Joined May 2002
6,509 Posts
LMAO

I was wondering how long it would take for you guys to make fun of my old hairstyle...

In those days I worked as a parasailing boat captain, and I'll tell ya what. The girls liked it!!
Old Jan 18, 2005, 03:25 PM
Dances With The Wind
Joined May 2002
6,509 Posts
I started looking at some of the pics on the website Steve linked to, and look what I found! See, I'm not the only dork with a mullet that ever built model airplanes!
Old Jan 18, 2005, 04:03 PM
santa barbara
Joined Oct 2004
403 Posts
awh!...at least you guys *have* hair!!

(I'm the short bald guy in the front. We're at a buddy's wedding...homeboy
in the center is just joking around. He's a future lawyer so, if offended, please
send all litigious requests to him directly. )

by the way Brian, cool idea with the airfoil testbed.
I'd be interested in hearing reports on the way different airfoils perform
on the same plane.
sunil is offline Find More Posts by sunil
Old Jan 18, 2005, 04:39 PM
Dances With The Wind
Joined May 2002
6,509 Posts
Pattern baldness runs in my family, but I managed to avoid it. Whew!

I probably won't start experimenting with fuselage molds and vacumm bagged composites before summer. I have too many projects lined up that I have to finish before I head to the mainland in the spring.