SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Jan 17, 2005, 12:43 PM
characters welcome!
United States, CA, Bear Valley Springs
Joined Feb 2000
26,454 Posts
Yippee!
New inexpensive Lipo charger: Aurora 1,2,3 cell lipo charger

If this is old news forgive me but this little lipo charger is new to me.

It's called an Aurora lipo charger. It's good for 1,2 or 3 cells at charge rates of .1, .3, .6, 1.2 and 2 amps. It uses taps for charge selection and cell count similar to other small chargers of this type and comes with an extra pair of taps in case you lose one. It's powered by 12 volts DC nominal which means it's great with a car battery or power supply up to 15 volts. It's supplied with alligator clips on the input side and JST connectors on the output side. I modified mine to use Dean's polarized micros as those are my preferred battery connectors <15 amps.

It uses "smart" technology in that if you put the tap in the 2s spot and hook up a 3s pack the charger will give you an error light and refuse to start. A red LED illuminates during the charge phase and a green one illiminates when the charge is done. A short list of conditions and simple instructions are printed directly on the back of the charger so you don't have to keep track of any paper printed instructions. Good for airheads like me.
I've been using the Aurora on 2s and 3s Apogee 830 and 1050 packs and a 2s Polyquest 850 pack. So far so good in that the Aurora hasn't missed a beat and performs as we would expect for a nice, simple lipo charger.

Another great thing about the Aurora is the price. It's available only from GWS-Online/SureFlight for get this... $39.95. As far as I know, that's the cheapest I've seen for a charger of this type. Personally, I can see a couple of these in my flight box helping my Astro 109 in keeping my smaller packs topped off. It should be great especially for the 3D and Parkflyer crowd who go through small lipo packs like beers at an Oktoberfest!

You can go online or call GWS-Online/SureFlight at: 858-404-0102

mw
Mark Wood is offline Find More Posts by Mark Wood
Last edited by Mark Wood; Jan 17, 2005 at 12:56 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 17, 2005, 01:01 PM
Southern Pride
Haralson County GA. USA
Joined Oct 2004
34,834 Posts
Looks and sounds very similar to the E Tec Apache Smart Charger 2500 except that the 2500 does up to 4 cell Li Poly packs. I have recommended the 2500 to many as a very simple reliable charger.
The selection clips are the same type used on computer Hard Drives,CD Burners ext., in case extras/ replacement are needed. I attached mine to a short length of strong line ( Spider Wire ,fishing line) and tied to the charger power cord. They may dangle but can not flee.

http://www.battlepack.com/LiPolychargers.asp

Charles
everydayflyer is online now Find More Posts by everydayflyer
Old Jan 17, 2005, 06:15 PM
San Diego, CA.
Joined Feb 2003
231 Posts
Thank's for the info Mark. Was looking at those myself. May pickup a couple to help out the Triton that I already have.

Rob,
Cruzer is offline Find More Posts by Cruzer
Old Jan 17, 2005, 06:51 PM
Joined Jan 2001
3,269 Posts
Very Nice looking charger

Very nice

thanks
Steve

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Wood
If this is old news forgive me but this little lipo charger is new to me.

It's called an Aurora lipo charger. It's good for 1,2 or 3 cells at charge rates of .1, .3, .6, 1.2 and 2 amps. It uses taps for charge selection and cell count similar to other small chargers of this type and comes with an extra pair of taps in case you lose one. It's powered by 12 volts DC nominal which means it's great with a car battery or power supply up to 15 volts. It's supplied with alligator clips on the input side and JST connectors on the output side. I modified mine to use Dean's polarized micros as those are my preferred battery connectors <15 amps.

It uses "smart" technology in that if you put the tap in the 2s spot and hook up a 3s pack the charger will give you an error light and refuse to start. A red LED illuminates during the charge phase and a green one illiminates when the charge is done. A short list of conditions and simple instructions are printed directly on the back of the charger so you don't have to keep track of any paper printed instructions. Good for airheads like me.
I've been using the Aurora on 2s and 3s Apogee 830 and 1050 packs and a 2s Polyquest 850 pack. So far so good in that the Aurora hasn't missed a beat and performs as we would expect for a nice, simple lipo charger.

Another great thing about the Aurora is the price. It's available only from GWS-Online/SureFlight for get this... $39.95. As far as I know, that's the cheapest I've seen for a charger of this type. Personally, I can see a couple of these in my flight box helping my Astro 109 in keeping my smaller packs topped off. It should be great especially for the 3D and Parkflyer crowd who go through small lipo packs like beers at an Oktoberfest!

You can go online or call GWS-Online/SureFlight at: 858-404-0102

mw
sjslhill is offline Find More Posts by sjslhill
Old Jan 17, 2005, 08:13 PM
California
Joined Dec 2004
141 Posts
I bought a new charger from Great Planes for 1 to 3 cell Lipo's and it has multiple charge settings with a max up to 1 amp. It is $25 and is about the size of a small cell phone. Not bad for a second or third charger for the smaller park flyer Lipo's.
Hotrod69 is offline Find More Posts by Hotrod69