SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Jan 17, 2005, 12:23 AM
BiggerBetterFasterMORE!!!
Atlanta Hartsfield, Georgia, United States
Joined Apr 2002
1,046 Posts
is there a convention to put the male bullet connector on the positive or negative battery terminal? When I went to Denver last year, all the team guys had theirs the opposite of mine. It seemed easier to solder the male connector to the positive battery button, and the neg femal connector to the negative battery end. Does it matter, and is one way better than another?

~~fred
Yogi is offline Find More Posts by Yogi
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 17, 2005, 01:47 AM
San Diego, CA, USA
Joined Nov 2001
2,820 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yogi
is there a convention to put the male bullet connector on the positive or negative battery terminal? When I went to Denver last year, all the team guys had theirs the opposite of mine. It seemed easier to solder the male connector to the positive battery button, and the neg femal connector to the negative battery end. Does it matter, and is one way better than another?

~~fred
The only reason to do do it one way or the other is if you want to be compatable with someone else so you can share battery packs and charging leads. Otherwise it makes no difference.

Chuck
rcelectfly is offline Find More Posts by rcelectfly
Old Jan 17, 2005, 08:22 AM
United States, VA, Leesburg
Joined Feb 2003
2,472 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcelectfly
The only reason to do do it one way or the other is if you want to be compatable with someone else so you can share battery packs and charging leads. Otherwise it makes no difference.

Chuck
For the battery, shouldn't the (-) be the male and the (+) be the female that is covered in heatshink? This appears safer to me knowing the whole case of the pack is (-).
down_shift is offline Find More Posts by down_shift
Last edited by down_shift; Jan 17, 2005 at 10:07 AM.
Old Jan 17, 2005, 09:58 AM
Speed Demon
Antioch,CA,USA
Joined Dec 1999
12,323 Posts
I'm getting ready to switch all of my battery packs over to bullet connectors. I was wondering the same thing. I do like your suggestion DS, makes great sence to me as the barrel side should get the shrink wrap.

BTW, thanks for bringing this up Yogi.
GregG is offline Find More Posts by GregG
Old Jan 17, 2005, 12:29 PM
Broomfield Jeffco, Colorado, United States
Joined May 2004
323 Posts
Actually, 4 of us in Denver run with female leads (2) on the batteries. This makes it easiest because there is no gold exposed for a possible short. Then the esc's have 2 males.
argarre is offline Find More Posts by argarre
Old Jan 17, 2005, 12:35 PM
San Diego, CA, USA
Joined Mar 2001
3,068 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by down_shift
For the battery, shouldn't the (-) be the male and the (+) be the female that is covered in heatshink?
Heatshrink??? It will melt or split, I promise you! You can wrap the tubes (female) in Kapton in some applications, but no heatshrink in F5B/D.

-David
davidfee is offline Find More Posts by davidfee
Old Jan 17, 2005, 02:51 PM
Broomfield Jeffco, Colorado, United States
Joined May 2004
323 Posts
Double wall heatshrink has held up very well.
argarre is offline Find More Posts by argarre
Old Jan 17, 2005, 06:05 PM
Joined Feb 2003
2,472 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidfee
Heatshrink??? It will melt or split, I promise you! You can wrap the tubes (female) in Kapton in some applications, but no heatshrink in F5B/D.

-David
David - my kapton wrapped GP3300 packs are routinely over 205 degrees F, but the heat shrink covered 5.5mm connectors are fine. Okay to call us what we are out here on the east........ bush league.
Old Jan 17, 2005, 06:48 PM
San Diego, CA, USA
Joined Mar 2001
3,068 Posts
You guys must have better heatshrink than me. I tried it once... it only lasted a couple flights.

-David
davidfee is offline Find More Posts by davidfee
Old Jan 17, 2005, 06:53 PM
Joined Feb 2003
2,472 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidfee
You guys must have better heatshrink than me.....
.......or lower resistance connectors.
Old Jan 17, 2005, 07:01 PM
Joined Feb 2003
2,472 Posts
David,

Try some temperature-sensitive tape. Kitfoxdrvr was nice enough to hook me up with some. It works great and the stickers are ~ 1/8" by 1/4". I'll try a few on the connectors.
Old Jan 17, 2005, 07:06 PM
electron liberator
United States, GA, Suwanee
Joined Mar 2003
4,050 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by argarre
Actually, 4 of us in Denver run with female leads (2) on the batteries. This makes it easiest because there is no gold exposed for a possible short. Then the esc's have 2 males.
You just have to make sure you have the polarity correct when you plug them in so you will not short the esc correct?
jaywatay is offline Find More Posts by jaywatay
Old Jan 18, 2005, 01:55 AM
Authorized Self-Portrait?
Greensboro, NC
Joined Nov 2003
1,086 Posts
David,

PM me your address and I will send you a couple of the strips Russ mentioned. They work great for indicating whether or not you exceed a given temperature at any time, at a minimal weight (a piece of paper!).
kitfoxdrvr is offline Find More Posts by kitfoxdrvr