SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Reply
Thread Tools
Old Jan 17, 2005, 12:23 AM
BiggerBetterFasterMORE!!!
Yogi's Avatar
Atlanta Hartsfield, Georgia, United States
Joined Apr 2002
1,046 Posts
is there a convention to put the male bullet connector on the positive or negative battery terminal? When I went to Denver last year, all the team guys had theirs the opposite of mine. It seemed easier to solder the male connector to the positive battery button, and the neg femal connector to the negative battery end. Does it matter, and is one way better than another?

~~fred
Yogi is offline Find More Posts by Yogi
Reply With Quote
Sign up now
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 17, 2005, 01:47 AM
Registered User
rcelectfly's Avatar
San Diego, CA, USA
Joined Nov 2001
2,820 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yogi
is there a convention to put the male bullet connector on the positive or negative battery terminal? When I went to Denver last year, all the team guys had theirs the opposite of mine. It seemed easier to solder the male connector to the positive battery button, and the neg femal connector to the negative battery end. Does it matter, and is one way better than another?

~~fred
The only reason to do do it one way or the other is if you want to be compatable with someone else so you can share battery packs and charging leads. Otherwise it makes no difference.

Chuck
rcelectfly is offline Find More Posts by rcelectfly
Reply With Quote
Old Jan 17, 2005, 08:22 AM
Registered User
down_shift's Avatar
United States, VA, Leesburg
Joined Feb 2003
2,472 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcelectfly
The only reason to do do it one way or the other is if you want to be compatable with someone else so you can share battery packs and charging leads. Otherwise it makes no difference.

Chuck
For the battery, shouldn't the (-) be the male and the (+) be the female that is covered in heatshink? This appears safer to me knowing the whole case of the pack is (-).
down_shift is offline Find More Posts by down_shift
Last edited by down_shift; Jan 17, 2005 at 10:07 AM.
Reply With Quote
Old Jan 17, 2005, 09:58 AM
Speed Demon
GregG's Avatar
Antioch,CA,USA
Joined Dec 1999
12,323 Posts
I'm getting ready to switch all of my battery packs over to bullet connectors. I was wondering the same thing. I do like your suggestion DS, makes great sence to me as the barrel side should get the shrink wrap.

BTW, thanks for bringing this up Yogi.
GregG is offline Find More Posts by GregG
Reply With Quote
Old Jan 17, 2005, 12:29 PM
Registered User
argarre's Avatar
Broomfield Jeffco, Colorado, United States
Joined May 2004
323 Posts
Actually, 4 of us in Denver run with female leads (2) on the batteries. This makes it easiest because there is no gold exposed for a possible short. Then the esc's have 2 males.
argarre is offline Find More Posts by argarre
Reply With Quote
Old Jan 17, 2005, 12:35 PM
Registered User
davidfee's Avatar
San Diego, CA, USA
Joined Mar 2001
3,068 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by down_shift
For the battery, shouldn't the (-) be the male and the (+) be the female that is covered in heatshink?
Heatshrink??? It will melt or split, I promise you! You can wrap the tubes (female) in Kapton in some applications, but no heatshrink in F5B/D.

-David
davidfee is offline Find More Posts by davidfee
Reply With Quote
Old Jan 17, 2005, 02:51 PM
Registered User
argarre's Avatar
Broomfield Jeffco, Colorado, United States
Joined May 2004
323 Posts
Double wall heatshrink has held up very well.
argarre is offline Find More Posts by argarre
Reply With Quote
Old Jan 17, 2005, 06:05 PM
Registered User
down_shift's Avatar
United States, VA, Leesburg
Joined Feb 2003
2,472 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidfee
Heatshrink??? It will melt or split, I promise you! You can wrap the tubes (female) in Kapton in some applications, but no heatshrink in F5B/D.

-David
David - my kapton wrapped GP3300 packs are routinely over 205 degrees F, but the heat shrink covered 5.5mm connectors are fine. Okay to call us what we are out here on the east........ bush league.
down_shift is offline Find More Posts by down_shift
Reply With Quote
Old Jan 17, 2005, 06:48 PM
Registered User
davidfee's Avatar
San Diego, CA, USA
Joined Mar 2001
3,068 Posts
You guys must have better heatshrink than me. I tried it once... it only lasted a couple flights.

-David
davidfee is offline Find More Posts by davidfee
Reply With Quote
Old Jan 17, 2005, 06:53 PM
Registered User
down_shift's Avatar
United States, VA, Leesburg
Joined Feb 2003
2,472 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidfee
You guys must have better heatshrink than me.....
.......or lower resistance connectors.
down_shift is offline Find More Posts by down_shift
Reply With Quote
Old Jan 17, 2005, 07:01 PM
Registered User
down_shift's Avatar
United States, VA, Leesburg
Joined Feb 2003
2,472 Posts
David,

Try some temperature-sensitive tape. Kitfoxdrvr was nice enough to hook me up with some. It works great and the stickers are ~ 1/8" by 1/4". I'll try a few on the connectors.
down_shift is offline Find More Posts by down_shift
Reply With Quote
Old Jan 17, 2005, 07:06 PM
electron liberator
jaywatay's Avatar
United States, GA, Suwanee
Joined Mar 2003
4,050 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by argarre
Actually, 4 of us in Denver run with female leads (2) on the batteries. This makes it easiest because there is no gold exposed for a possible short. Then the esc's have 2 males.
You just have to make sure you have the polarity correct when you plug them in so you will not short the esc correct?
jaywatay is offline Find More Posts by jaywatay
Reply With Quote
Old Jan 18, 2005, 01:55 AM
Authorized Self-Portrait?
kitfoxdrvr's Avatar
Greensboro, NC
Joined Nov 2003
1,086 Posts
David,

PM me your address and I will send you a couple of the strips Russ mentioned. They work great for indicating whether or not you exceed a given temperature at any time, at a minimal weight (a piece of paper!).
kitfoxdrvr is offline Find More Posts by kitfoxdrvr
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools

Similar Threads
Category Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Brits - How many Ezone'ing English Gentlemen and Ladies are there out there dave_lilley Electric Plane Talk 119 Jan 23, 2005 12:30 PM
What other battery choices are there? temacc Batteries and Chargers 0 Sep 02, 2002 03:45 PM
Looking for a small battery connector. What do you use ? RonJ Parkflyers 18 Jul 12, 2002 11:04 PM
Are there any Model companies that make slow flyer Warbirds? mrebman Parkflyers 3 Jul 20, 2001 10:18 PM
Are there any slowflyers that.... cheapflyr Parkflyers 5 Jun 06, 2001 11:50 PM