HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 17, 2005, 03:33 AM
Birmingham / England
Joined Feb 2003
483 Posts
My new chariot car powered Bit Bipe

Here is the final version of my new bipe which flys really well now, using the radio from a ‘Chariot’, bit car. It’s 18” span and weighs 11.2 grams. The only mods iv’e done are to increase the RX aerial length and double the transmitter aerial length. No mosfet has been fitted as the model is quite spritely. Its great fun practising ‘touch and goes’ on a picnic table, or the roof of a car. It will land with hardly any forward speed, if a blipping motor technique is used and it sort of parachutes down.
It’s mainly made of traditional building materials. The wings are removable for transport and for tweaking of the incidence angles. I have used dried grass for the plug in and variable pitch and diameter prop blade tubes, also the wheel bearings and the plug in tailplane tubes.
It would probably fly without the bottom wing, but I would guess it would need some motor downthrust to fly properly.
Recently the motor (from a chariot car) started to loose power so I replaced it with a, 4.5 ohm one. I happened to be checking the motor I had taken out and found the pinion gear was slipping on the shaft. So I glued it back on again and and put the original motor back in the model again.

The idea behind building a biplane was to have more wing area and reduce the wing loading over an earlier monoplane bit plane, but I am not sure if the biplane flys any better, because I have read that 15% or so, of an aeroplanes drag is produced by the wing tips, and a biplane has two sets of tips!. I havn’t been able to directly compare the two types of plane, because the motor/radio combination used in the ‘Chariot car’, set up produces considerably more power than other types of ‘Bit car’ radios that I have used.

Here are some plans for those interested, which includes much more information and plenty of hints and tips on construction.

The other Graham
Graham Smith is offline Find More Posts by Graham Smith
Last edited by Graham Smith; Jan 17, 2005 at 04:07 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 17, 2005, 03:39 AM
Birmingham / England
Joined Feb 2003
483 Posts
I'm not sure what's happened with the pictures? There is only an icon. They are jpg's the same as I normlly use.

Sorted, Seems OK now.

Here is the thread for my first bit plane. It's a 26" span monoplane (Moth) and plan:
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=117583
Last edited by Graham Smith; Nov 01, 2005 at 02:45 AM.
Old Jan 17, 2005, 04:14 AM
Birmingham / England
Joined Feb 2003
483 Posts
More pictures
Last edited by Graham Smith; Jan 17, 2005 at 04:33 AM.
Old Jan 17, 2005, 04:15 AM
Team30 Micro EDF
Adelaide, Australia
Joined Apr 2004
11,243 Posts
Sweet little plane Graham. Well done!
NitroCharged is offline Find More Posts by NitroCharged
Old Jan 17, 2005, 04:33 AM
Flap chap
Most Southern England, Brighton UK
Joined May 2004
1,934 Posts
Magnificent!!! Might try one when i actually get some free time. Thanks for this goody!
snakeX2 is offline Find More Posts by snakeX2
Old Jan 26, 2005, 04:39 AM
Buy,sell
Western Australia, Perth
Joined Oct 2004
227 Posts
thx buddy for the pictures because without them I couldnt fix my reciever which the cords were mixed up so I ended up resoldering the way your setup is and it worked. thanks a million.

Isaac
ilaurencet01 is offline Find More Posts by ilaurencet01
Old Jan 26, 2005, 11:25 AM
To many projects
USA, AZ, Litchfield Park
Joined Aug 2004
1,055 Posts
Nice The close up pictures are sure a good teacher. I've got a way to go to.
66tbird is offline Find More Posts by 66tbird
Old Jan 26, 2005, 11:35 AM
I need a better avatar
In a van, down by the river :)
Joined Jan 2005
25 Posts
Me Likes!
How do you steer it?
RCypher is offline Find More Posts by RCypher
Old Jan 27, 2005, 02:33 AM
Birmingham / England
Joined Feb 2003
483 Posts
Cypher,
It's steered by an actuator mounted remotely from the rudder placed just behind the wing, and connected to the rudder by invisible thread, (as used in dressmaking). It's barely visible in the first photograph. The thread to the rudder can be just seen in the close up photo of the rudder. The plans make it much clearer how all this is set up.

The other Graham
Old Jan 27, 2005, 04:16 AM
United States, VA, Clintwood
Joined Nov 2002
3,666 Posts
Graham

That is one of the prettiest stick planes I have ever seen.
It is a good weight too. I bet it flies really slow.
Thanks for sharing and posting plans.

Billy
billystiltner is offline Find More Posts by billystiltner
Old Jan 27, 2005, 06:11 AM
Stuck on a rock
Germany, NDS, WOB
Joined Nov 2000
5,922 Posts
Graham, very nice model. Would you say it can be comfortably flown in a 15'x15' room?

Michael
epilot is offline Find More Posts by epilot
Old Jan 27, 2005, 07:18 AM
Birmingham / England
Joined Feb 2003
483 Posts
Michael,
nice to see you are still posting.
My home made actuator doesn't centre very well (no centring magnet) so it tends to turn tighter to the right than to the left. I would say it turns in about 15' circles to the right and wider circles to the left. With perhaps a bit more dihedral and a better actuator I think it could be made to turn a lot tighter

The other Graham
Old Jan 27, 2005, 08:21 AM
Jackson, Michigan, United States
Joined Nov 2002
1,388 Posts
Thats a very nice plane indeed. Thanks for sharing your plans so freely. I think i'll dig up one of my old chariots and build one. I was also thinking that you could probably make on heck of a rogallo wing out of these also.

Greg
gbarc is offline Find More Posts by gbarc
Old Jan 27, 2005, 05:35 PM
expert crasher
Newport Beach, California, United States
Joined Jul 2004
126 Posts
are u useing the original steering motor for steering or did u use an actuator? if u used the motor id love to see a picture of how u riged it

thanks,
the Ari from the OC
mybitplanebitme is offline Find More Posts by mybitplanebitme
Old Jan 27, 2005, 06:21 PM
Stuck on a rock
Germany, NDS, WOB
Joined Nov 2000
5,922 Posts
Ari, you should consider reading the posts before asking questions:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Graham Smith
My home made actuator doesn't centre very well (no centring magnet) so it tends to turn tighter to the right than to the left.
Michael
epilot is offline Find More Posts by epilot