Closed Thread
Old Jan 16, 2005, 01:48 PM
tic
thunderscreech
New Cumberland, PA. US
Joined Dec 2000
10,936 Posts
why people don't like zagis

Is it because of the noise generated from the pusher prop configuration? Is it the lack of a proper tail assembly? Is it the careless and reckless manner in which they can often be seen flitting about? Why do the slope guys all call them "slope trash"? I was just wondering
tic is offline Find More Posts by tic
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 16, 2005, 01:56 PM
Williamsville, NY, USA
Joined Sep 2000
4,468 Posts
It's been awhile since you have gone fishing. Nice cast, start reeling them in
Larry Dudeck is offline Find More Posts by Larry Dudeck
Old Jan 16, 2005, 01:58 PM
Heli Bouncer
At the Discount Clambake
Joined Feb 2001
3,920 Posts
So tic, just testing the waters to see how long this thread lasts before some hapless mod closes it?

Looee
Looooeeee! is offline Find More Posts by Looooeeee!
Old Jan 16, 2005, 02:01 PM
tic
thunderscreech
New Cumberland, PA. US
Joined Dec 2000
10,936 Posts
I really don't see anything wrong with this thread.. It doesn't insult anyone, it asks some important questions and it is RC related.
Old Jan 16, 2005, 02:13 PM
Blacksburg, VA 24060 USA
Joined Feb 2000
3,178 Posts
Don't put the problems all onto Zagis. They may be the most popular tailless airplanes at the moment, but all the problems you cited are typical of any tailless airplane so configured. I have a non-Zagi wing that I flew a few times, then abandoned, because it was hard for my weenie reflexes to handle.

On the other hand, I've seen one of our club members handle his Zagi in expert fashion. To each his own.

Jim R
JRuggiero is offline Find More Posts by JRuggiero
Old Jan 16, 2005, 02:18 PM
tic
thunderscreech
New Cumberland, PA. US
Joined Dec 2000
10,936 Posts
Weenie reflexes?.... I'd get a warning if I posted that.
Old Jan 16, 2005, 02:25 PM
Stupid Gravity
alsip, ill
Joined Aug 2002
838 Posts
Maybe people don't like zagi's because they fall into the pretend airplane catagory, like flying brooms, lawnmowers, outhouses, etc. Ya, I know there are a couple of real planes that are flying wings but if they were so great there would be more of them, and people would not hate them. All real self respecting planes have tails.
WhiteCloud is online now Find More Posts by WhiteCloud
Old Jan 16, 2005, 02:25 PM
Heli Bouncer
At the Discount Clambake
Joined Feb 2001
3,920 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by tic
I really don't see anything wrong with this thread.. It doesn't insult anyone, it asks some important questions and it is RC related.

I agree with you somewhat, but it like posting about religion in off topic: LTUaP, someone always gets their kinickers in a bundle over something, then the thread turns stupid and ugly. Me, I could care less about the darn things, let whoever wants to fly 'em do it, just not in my gated community.
Looooeeee! is offline Find More Posts by Looooeeee!
Old Jan 16, 2005, 02:48 PM
Pompano Hill Flyers
Miami Lakes, Florida, USA
Joined Mar 2003
8,485 Posts
It's the same reason the American Auto Association has for its vendetta against big trucks on the highway:

People don't like Zagis because in a mid-air collision, the Zagi wins and you lose.
Miami Mike is offline Find More Posts by Miami Mike
Old Jan 16, 2005, 02:49 PM
Average User
Bakersfield, California
Joined Aug 2003
1,726 Posts
I didn't know fishing season was open already.
M Ashmore is offline Find More Posts by M Ashmore
Old Jan 16, 2005, 02:52 PM
Joined Jul 2004
3,771 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by tic
Is it because of the noise generated from the pusher prop configuration? ........Is it the careless and reckless manner in which they can often be seen flitting about?
My Hyperwing is a LOT louder than my "normal" planes, but I can hear the battery sagging before LVC kicks in so it does have some benefits. I think one of the reasons RC guys don't like Zagis is because they're flown by the "young punks", and the "old geezers" that make up a lot of clubs are resentfull. If anybody in a club made remarks about my wing I'd tell him to go get bent. I fly mine at a reclaimed strip mine site that's marked "no motorized vehicles" and is owned by the game commission, it's 1/2 mile wide and 1 1/2 miles across. I don't have to worry about "club geezers".
Usta Bee is online now Find More Posts by Usta Bee
Old Jan 16, 2005, 03:12 PM
De-Brushed user
Midland, Tx / W. Lafayette, Ind.
Joined Dec 2002
2,949 Posts
Because you dont like them, and everybody wants to be just like you?
CAFplanekid is offline Find More Posts by CAFplanekid
Old Jan 16, 2005, 03:36 PM
lone wolf
(us military)
Joined Mar 2004
787 Posts
you get into this hobby usually starting out simple, say with a flying wing for example. then you progress and move up to the harder to fly and harder to build models...leaving the flying wings in the dust, or what ever model it was that started you out. I left flying wings for sport planes and jets. now I'm trying my hand at pylon racers. then something happened... I built another wing just to see if anythings changed. this time I built it better and went with a wider 14" cord. and all I can say is that I'll be keeping this thing around. I can luanch and land it just about any where. it will climb to 1000 feet in less then 20 seconds and will glide forever.
do you think maybe it has something to do with the fact that when the non flying wings guys make the occasional mistake which ends up in a expensive crash, we know that in the back of our minds the zagi guys crash for fun and keep fly'n
rcaddition is offline Find More Posts by rcaddition
Old Jan 16, 2005, 04:32 PM
tic
thunderscreech
New Cumberland, PA. US
Joined Dec 2000
10,936 Posts
No, I think it's because alot of people just think they are obnoxious.
Old Jan 16, 2005, 04:44 PM
Pompano Hill Flyers
Miami Lakes, Florida, USA
Joined Mar 2003
8,485 Posts
Tic's visit to the Pompano Hill Flyer's South Florida landfill flying site last April:

[IMG]

Me, Amos, Tic, and Mark:

Miami Mike is offline Find More Posts by Miami Mike
Closed Thread