HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 16, 2005, 11:31 AM
United States, NY, Marion
Joined Sep 2001
494 Posts
Question
Help!!! AFP can't find the interface cable on our new Dell

Yes I need your help,

My wife and I just upgraded to a new Dell 4700 with Windows XP. This morning I installed AFP via its disc but when the program boots it gives the message that it is unable to find the interface cable. I see only one serial port and the cable is nicely plugged into it. AFP ran fine on our old Windows 98 Pavillion so I'm pretty sure that the cable/doggle are fine.

Does one of you more computer savy folks have any idea how to get the program and computer to talk to each other?

Thanks so much for any informed reply.

Hugh
ScienceGuy is offline Find More Posts by ScienceGuy
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 16, 2005, 11:46 AM
Philadelphia area
Joined Dec 2004
34 Posts
I don't know what AFP is, but you may want to make sure the COM port is enabled in XP. I assume it is COM1 as you only have 1 serial port.

Go to the desktop, right click on My Computer and pick Properties. Go to the Hardware tab and click on Device Manager. Look for the Ports entry in the list, expand the + sign and pick your Com port. Right click on it and select Properties. NMake sure it is enabled in the drop-down in the General tab, and look at the settings on the Port Settings tab for baud rate, stop bits, etc. I don't know if AFP requires specific settings or not, maybe the manual (or an AFP savvy person) can help there. At least this might turn on the port if it is disabled.
isaksp00 is offline Find More Posts by isaksp00
Old Jan 16, 2005, 11:53 AM
United States, NY, Marion
Joined Sep 2001
494 Posts
isaksp00,

Thank you so much for the quick and clearly explained procedure. As soon as my wife is done with her online shopping spree......Yikes.....I'll have a go at enabling the com port. At least I'll see if it is enabled. It looks like they oftern use the serial port for FireWire devices at this time...we are not... so perhaps that will make a difference.

AFP stands for AeroFly Pro.... its one of the more popular flight simulators at the moment.

Hugh
ScienceGuy is offline Find More Posts by ScienceGuy