HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 17, 2005, 10:42 AM
Chillin till SEFF
Warner Robins, GA
Joined Aug 2003
14,549 Posts
Some times oil and grease are a bad thing. Collects debris and grit which can wear on races etc. If they are sealed I would avoid any additional lube.
bildo baggins is online now Find More Posts by bildo baggins
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 17, 2005, 12:03 PM
Suspended Account
Joined Apr 2004
2,020 Posts
bildo you are right,..heres the deal..I jus emailed some hobby shops..and did some research..and it seems most brushless motors have sealed bearings...oiling the end shafts will do nothing but harm the motor by attracting dust particles/dirt/pollen..etc..so even though the instruction that came with my himaxx motor say to oil the bearings..it seems as though this is not correct..go figure..lol..service life for sealed bearings are at least a year or more...
rumme is offline Find More Posts by rumme
Old Jan 18, 2005, 06:49 AM
RIP Ric
Marietta, GA
Joined Jun 1999
43,312 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rumme
.. service life for sealed bearings are at least a year or more...
.. when in industrial applications, used for hundreds or thousands of hours per year. For our purposes, this means "forever"
..a
Andy W is offline Find More Posts by Andy W
Old Jan 18, 2005, 10:18 AM
East Anglia, UK
Joined Sep 2002
29,687 Posts
..apart from when lawndarted into fine sand, in which case its a matter of seconds

I'll expand on eh bvall races thing a bit,because it has some fun anecdotes.

In my very younger days, when I still had a dad, and he still fixed ourt mikes, he rebuilt a ball race and used grease to keep teh ;ltotlle balls in when he resassembled it.

The next time he stripped it down, all the balls were - no longer round!.

Now that was a ball race without carriers fr teh balls, so there is NO sliding contact at all, only rolling contact. I've seen car wheel bearaings that have NOT been oiled end up just the same, when the rollers rusted and siezed to the cages. Its pretty traditional to GREASE those roller bearings, because the grease protects the rollers, and the forces are so high that the grease wont stop themn rolling around.

The key issue is why you need a lunbruacnt at all. Lubrication is to build a film of oil between tow surfaces sliding over each other. In teh main, roller and ball bearings shold niot have sliding surfaces at all - only rolloing ones.

BUT oil also performs another function. It stops water and corrosion. And if you have a sealed beraing, at some point there is a seal that IS a sliding surface.

I'd be very interested to hear what manufacturers recommend. I DO oil the ball races on my GWS boxes, but with very very light oil. orre as anti dirt than anything else. I DO put lithim grease on gears, and I definitely oil bronze bushes on can motors regularly. I don't have that many ball raced mortors, and the ones I do haven't seen much running time.

Andy, which bit of what I said was in direct conflict with Hacker and Kontronik? I mentioned plain, ball and gear lubrication.

This is an important topic and if there are reasons why waht I said is BS, better to thrash it out than give wrong advice...
vintage1 is offline Find More Posts by vintage1
Old Jan 18, 2005, 11:06 AM
RIP Ric
Marietta, GA
Joined Jun 1999
43,312 Posts
As Hacker and Kontronik only make motors and gearboxes with BB's, that would be what I was referring to..

Nothing wrong with discussion or disagreement.. we need to get accurate information. I've never lubed any of my motors with BB's, or the BB's on GB's, but I HAVE opened and lubed the gears themselves. I also lube brushed motors.

In fact, I just came across my first non-sealed BB set - in a Dremel tool. I had to strip it down as the switch was flakey - the whole unit was full of sheetrock dust. After cleaning it out, I noticed the rear BB was 'squeaky'.. I used machine oil to lube this - I'd have replaced it, or gone to more trouble, if this was for a model. This dremel is only used for sharpening my chainsaw and lawnmower blades, however, so I'm not concerned with longevity..
..a
Andy W is offline Find More Posts by Andy W
Old Jan 18, 2005, 11:20 AM
Suspended Account
Joined Apr 2004
2,020 Posts
it definitely is confusing when you buy a brushless motor such as himaxx..and the instructions tell a person to oil..and then others who sell the product such as hobby shops say dont oil...I can think of more then 1 instance where this has been the case as far as manufacturers recomeendations not being the best thing to do..example..I used to race 3-4 wheellers..and the tires always had a high inflation/psi number..but it was common knowledge that if you followed the manufacturers psi numbers..the tire would wear out much quicker...I think for now I wont be oiling my brushless..not only because a couple hobby shops have said not too..but because if it isnt done correctly.,,it can acyually make the motor run worse..if some accidently gets inside the motor itself...
rumme is offline Find More Posts by rumme
Old Jan 18, 2005, 11:28 AM
Chillin till SEFF
Warner Robins, GA
Joined Aug 2003
14,549 Posts
I've never oiled any brushless. I'm curious now about the Little Screamer I have and what type of bearings it has. Anyone out there happen to know?

Update - Got my answer today. LS are sealed maintenance free bearings
bildo baggins is online now Find More Posts by bildo baggins
Last edited by bildo baggins; Jan 18, 2005 at 03:52 PM.
Old Jan 18, 2005, 11:43 AM
Chapel Hill, NC
Joined Nov 2004
526 Posts
Interesting thread. I wonder if my Axi 2204/54 is to be oiled or not.
rcplaneguy is offline Find More Posts by rcplaneguy